<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Jack Brooks

September 22 2017 at 6:14 PM
Dwight_Schrute  (Login Dwight_Schrute)

Our best bowler for the previous 3 seasons unfortunately this year hasn't been at that level.

Even so he never recieved the same level of praise as others. 'Bad Brooks' would possibly be one of the most common phrases on this forum since his time at the club.

If anyone had questions marks about an 'outsider' his reaction to victory today should surely put this to bed. His celebration was of a man who had hit a match winning ton, not someone who had strode to the crease with the scores level.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: Jack Brooks

September 22 2017, 6:17 PM 

yes, thanks for that dwight, we should certainly not question his commitment to the cause.

from what i heard the whole team celebrated and wanted this win very badly.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 22 2017, 8:33 PM 

We're confusing a couple of things here.

As a bloke and an entertaining cricketer who plays the game the right way then Brooks is top dollar.

But his form this year with the ball has not been as good as we have expected and whilst I'm pleased as punch for his tom and more importantly his 0* today it's wickets I want to see from him as his celebrAtions alone are all you need to know about his commitment

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 22 2017, 9:36 PM 

I think he is great. He should be considered one of our own after what he has done for this County.

What annoys me is some believe when a bowler reaches early 30's its game over. Heard it with Bresnan, Brooks and Patto.

Appreciate Bres has been bowling since 16, but if any county should know the longevity of some bowlers, its surely us...

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 22 2017, 10:10 PM 

Another example of challenging an opinion which no one has expressed, in this case regarding Jack's commitment. While not remotely our best bowler of the last three years (that individual said his farewell to Headingley today), he has been a great signing.

However, 'bad Brooks' is a reality and presents a dilemma for captains, particularly in lower scoring games. He might get you a breakthrough but he might give precious runs away. For instance the change which many have commented on on the first afternoon began with a poor and expensive post-lunch spell from Jack. Of course it was only the start, but those runs changed the feel of the innings.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 22 2017, 10:20 PM 

the terrible field placings changed the feel of the match. the captains refusal to post a third man resulted in 13 boundaries leaked to that position.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 22 2017, 10:20 PM 

I said the previous 3 seasons 2014-2016.

Sidebottom may have had a better average but wasn't always available. Brooks infact took over 70 more wickets than him during that time.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 22 2017, 10:24 PM 

This thread isn't about his performances this season. He's been poor.

I said he didn't receive the credit he deserved during the previous 3.

(Login leef1234)

September 22 2017, 10:30 PM 

And why has his and others form been poor? The disjointed scheduling definitely contributes along with the injuries he has picked up this year

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 23 2017, 8:37 AM 

Love the different characters in this side. Just seen the ECB video of the winning four. Jack, who'd faced one ball, is jumping around in his usual manner. Patto jogs down to the other end and touches his bat in the crease as if he's just taken an irrelevant single. The he turns round and starts to amble towards the pavilion.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 23 2017, 8:54 AM 

"... and starts to amble towards the pavilion"
Deadman walking!

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 23 2017, 9:22 AM 

The great value of Brooks is that he is capable of taking wickets on unhelpful pitches where our other bowlers struggle, a good example would have been at the oval, had we had 2 brooks playing we would have won that game.

Problem with low scoring matches is that he tends to give runs away like most strike bowlers do. I would choose patto every time over brooks on helpful pitches, but pattos line and length does not get him wickets on roads.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 23 2017, 9:57 AM 

Might be on to something there Peter. I am struggling to remember these low scorers that Jack has been an issue in though or is it just he 'might be'. I remember him taking key top order wickets in the tight un against Warks last season, Rashid cleaned up the tail.

Both losses to Middlesex last season weren't exactly low scorers, even so Jack took 12 wickets to Pattersons 0. Somerset loss was more down to the batting frailties, but Jack was expensive in that Somerset innings, so maybe thats the one..

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 23 2017, 10:03 AM 

Sorry, I don't want to be sucked into a negative view of Jack. He's just a bit of a problem to handle, which is why he has often been taken off after two overs. He also seems to be far more effective at Headingley than elsewhere. And I'm sorry, but to suggest two of Jack would have been a potential match-winner at the Oval is not on. He took one wicket before they'd reached 500.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 23 2017, 10:07 AM 

Yep those wickets were meaningless and possibly got him wrongly selected for the Warks game.

(Login swfctyke)

September 23 2017, 5:17 PM 

Pace bowlers decline rapidly from the age of 33 is what they say.
Jimmy Anderson has developed a box of tricks to combat this

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk