<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship | Essex vs Yorkshire (Pre-match thread)

September 23 2017 at 6:03 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Ladies and gentlemen, get out your crystal balls and calculators.

Note: Yorkshire need six points to clinch a spot in the first division. Even if Somerset get a 24-point win, six points would tie us with Somerset on points. And since both teams wouod have the same number of wins, the tie would be broken on the basis of fewer losses by Yorkshire.
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Championship | Essex vs Yorkshire (Pre-match thread)

September 23 2017, 8:15 PM 

Likewise, if Somerset win, Middlesex can get a max of 8 bonus points in defeat, which is also six points ahead of where we are now. It is unlikely that BOTH teams will get max bonus points, so three or four should (might!) be enough for us. I'll be keeping an eye on Taunton and hoping we can get at least one batting point.

Not quite over yet, and it would be devastating if Patto's and Fisher's heroic efforts were to be in vain, in the wider context.

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on Sep 24, 2017 2:54 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 23 2017, 8:24 PM 

Middlesex could get 8 points and lose. 400 plays 400 then a second innings declaration and a successfull run chase by Somerset. 24 points for Somerset, 8 points for Middlesex.

Very unlikely, but we need to monitor how things go, as we still may need 6 points. If we bat badly in our first innings, things could get very twitchy again, like yesterday.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 23, 2017 8:25 PM

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 23 2017, 9:35 PM 

It's amazing to think that entering the last round of matches, Yorkshire can finish anywhere from 2nd to 7th in an eight-team league - depending of course on how the final matches break down..

Obviously these sorts of scenarios will increasingly become a fact of life in a truncated, film-of-the-book ,14-match County Championship season. It also illustrates how much more luck is now a factor: what with teams playing so many CC matches outside the best summer weather months; along with the often serendipitous approach the ECB takes with England call-ups.
""

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 24 2017, 6:56 AM 

Whilst there may be some evidence to support what you say, the top and bottom placings are conclusive and it is good that there is still competition for other places right until the last match of the season involving all of the counties 😀

(Login Roundhegian)

September 24 2017, 8:41 AM 

There has not been a single 24-8 result in the CC this season, though Surrey v Essex came close. Surrey were all out for 399 in their first innings within the 110 overs (having been 392-6 at one point), got the three bowling points as Essex scored 435, but eventually lost by eight wickets. 24-7 to Essex.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Somerset v Middlesex

September 24 2017, 8:55 AM 

I suspect that if any team get anywhere near 300 on the pitch they prepare then the groundsman, or the spinners have got something badly wrong.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 24 2017, 9:12 AM 

Essex want to be unbeaten all season so do they prepare a flat track to target the draw knowing they will have the best spinner and seamer on display or do they aim to win in front of Chelmsford faithful and be brave with a result track?

Can a groundsman actually do both at short notice?!

I hope it's a result track and we surprise them

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 24 2017, 9:15 AM 

I'm not sure groundsmen are quite so much in control at this time of year. Look at the last Headingley pitch. I can't believe that's what was ordered.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 24 2017, 11:30 AM 

I'm normally pretty optimistic, but I fear that if it's a 'result track' we could get absolutely demolished. Did anyone see young Sam Cook's bowling last week? 20 years old and still at uni, took 5-18. Classical action, late swing, quick enough. See https://youtu.be/BphJYYN5Qq0 from about 1:35 onwards.

This message has been edited by PaulYorks2 on Sep 24, 2017 11:31 AM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 24 2017, 5:58 PM 

Mods, at the conclusion of the season it might be fun to resurrect the pre-season prediction thread? Had look but I can't find it.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Champions

September 24 2017, 6:06 PM 

If you can't find it I predicted Yorkshire winning it, just like I always do and always will.

For those who predicted relegation, your chances look pretty slim, better luck next year.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 24 2017, 7:09 PM 

I think I got it exactly right.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 24 2017, 7:13 PM 

I was way out. I had us 4th, which I could get right, but I had a top three of Surrey, Middlesex & Warwickshire & Essex relegated.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 24 2017, 7:36 PM 

Same Stu. I had Middlesex as the main threat and thought we might be second.
I dismissed Essex as no hopers.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 24 2017, 8:41 PM 

Get impression with Sidebottoms tweets over weekend his career is over and wont play tomorrow. Sorry its come to an end on a low note.

Planning first 2 days at Chelmsford, never been before and just getting myself organised before an early night before setting off early tomorrow.
Where did last 6 months go?

Just concentrate on our game but will take a remarkable run of results and bonus points for us to go down now.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 24 2017, 8:44 PM 

Tricky team selection. Probably need a spinner but do we have one worthy of selection? Rafiq did rather well on this ground in the final game of 2012. Is Sid fit? If it unfair to leave out Fisher, Coad or Patto? Do we require Bres as fourth seamer given his batting ability.

How about Lyth, Braithwaite, Lees, GB, Leaning, Hodd, Bres, Fisher, Rafiq, Patto and Coad.

Tough on Ryan but I don't think he'd want to be selected on sentiment.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 24, 2017 9:10 PM

Duckworth_Lewis
(Login Duckworth_Lewis)

September 24 2017, 9:03 PM 

Sid -I think I'd go for TKC instead of Lees, as we could get terribly bogged down with a 2,3,4 of Brathwaite, Lees & Ballance. TKC is at least capable of seizing the initiative and putting their attacking bowlers on the defensive, as well as maintaining a decent strike rate.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 24 2017, 9:10 PM 

Rafiq did bowl well at Chelmsford in 2012, but that was before the yips. These days I really think he's so far from being a championship spinner that he's no longer selectable. It's also some time since his useful contributions with the bat. I hate being without a spinner, but I just don't think we have one good enough at present.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 24 2017, 9:16 PM 

I understand the rationale for including TKC, but I simply think Lees is a better player. TKC doesn't have the technique to cope, or survive, when conditions favour the bowler. I accept Lees has struggled this year, and his numbers aren't great, but his ability and technique are ahead of TKC and for that reason makes my team.

The bowling was where I thought there was more doubt. Its possible to make a case for the 5 seamers who played last week, plus Sid could be fit and ideally I'd like a spinner in the side. I think the bowling is a really difficult decision.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk