<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Football stand webcam

September 24 2017 at 9:20 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Watched some of the demolition of the South stand recently from round by the Ugly mugs cafe, forgot how nice it was to watch people at work.

Remember the Carnegie build being covered on club website with a webcam.

I've asked if the club would consider doing something similar to cover the demolition and re-build, especially during the off season.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Only the building

September 28 2017, 6:45 PM 

Webcams will be available on the club website from November showing both sides of the re-development.

Presume the demolition phase will have been completed by then.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: Football stand webcam

September 29 2017, 8:28 AM 

If we can have live streaming of demolition and building work, why can't we have live streaming of cricket?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 29 2017, 8:32 AM 

It does seem perverse that we can have a web-cam to monitor the demolition and building work for the new stand, but not to live-stream matches.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Am I missing something

September 29 2017, 8:39 AM 

There's quite a big wall with manned gates around Headingley in order to stop people watching the cricket unless the have paid their membership or are willing to pay on the gate.

If you had a product which you charged people to watch why would you make it available free of charge to all and sundry.

I know some counties do it but I fail to understand the business model behind it.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 29 2017, 8:39 AM 

Based on this season I think most would rather watch the demolition of a stand rather than the demolition of our top order batsmen

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 29 2017, 9:22 AM 

Its normally to bring in people who have an interest in the game but can't attend because of distance. There are barriers around the but they aren't there for those who can't attend. They are for those who are passing by.
Its in effect for two sets of different people.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Like me

September 29 2017, 10:14 AM 

Surely free live streaming would lead to a drop off in membership and walk ups.

Yorkshire relies on many people traveling quite long distances to watch them play at Headingley. Many still will of course, but there are others who will stop attending live.

I'm all for live streaming and as technology moves on I'm sure it will become a reality, but it has to be paid for. Quite a lot of football clubs do it with their own TV streaming for a modest fee. It was all pretty static to start with but has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years.

If it is of a decent standard it can also be used to enhance the experience of people in the ground too, large screen replays etc. Even the chance to introduce a limited review system to challenge some of the more ridiculous umpiring decisions in CC perhaps.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 29 2017, 10:51 AM 

I don't think the current standard of streaming will stop people from attending. Most counties use two fixed point cameras to give you a less than perfect view of pretty much just the pitch. I've put them on for a few minutes at a time but could anyone really sit and watch that all day and say they;re getting a good experience? A higher quality stream may keep a few people away but I would imagine that would be at a charge if it ever did happen.

It's quite interesting that many football clubs want to take control of their own TV rights rather than the league selling them to Sky/BT. In fact many clubs show their matches that aren't on Sky on their own subscription services or on the TV's at the ground for away matches and charge entry.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 29 2017, 11:16 AM 

Yes, but we should live stream and charge money.

I would definitely pay an extra £20 or so on top of Membership to be able to access days when I can't get there.

Many exiles would I'm sure pay a similar supplement on top of Club Membership for it, and they would really get value.

Then you price it quite high for non-Members, to keep incentive to become a Member.

You give the job of making it work and monitoring it to one of underemployed people in the office.

Could clear £10,000 a year, and give pleasure.

(Or pain, if performances don't improve!)

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 29 2017, 11:58 AM 

I don't think people who make the effort to go to headingley are going to stay at home and watch a basic video feed. It will allow those that can't attend to see the game.

I can't honestly see it affecting attendances.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk