<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2017 Season Poll...So how did we do?

September 24 2017 at 11:47 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

WRF POLL | Where will Yorkshire finish in the 2017 Championship?

First 15.46 % (32)
2nd 15.94 % (33)
3rd 19.32 % (40)
4th 24.64 % (51)
5th 11.11 % (23)
6th 7.25 % (15)
7th 2.90 % (6)
8th 3.38 % (7)
Total votes: 207
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

Re: 2017 Season Poll...So how did we do?

September 25 2017, 6:42 AM 

Would you link to the original thread please. Forgotten what I said! Search isn't working. Thanks

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 25 2017, 9:19 AM 

I brought the original thread back up. Seems to have disappeared now.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 25 2017, 10:08 AM 

I voted for first.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 25 2017, 10:23 AM 

well unless you voted champions or 8th(bottom) absolutely no idea who got it right and who got it wrong

(Login BrickyardBoy)

September 25 2017, 11:12 PM 

I got it wrong, because I thought that YCCC would be relegated.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 25 2017, 11:25 PM 

I went for third - still pretty confident!

(Login matthefish2002)

September 26 2017, 6:56 AM 

Think I came over all Glen Mcgrath and predicted top.
At times look a good side and at other times been awful. Deserve to stoll be in this league next season but nowhere near where we want to be.

littleoldme
(Login littleoldme.)

1st place.

September 29 2017, 12:01 AM 

I'm going to take notice of this poll next season as the highest vote (nearly 25%) voted for 4th place. Exactly where we finished! I said 1st place but that was the heart ruling over my head. I remember leaving Taunton in June after we beat Somerset. We had 82 points from 6 games played. We were in 2nd place. I traveled to Headingley for The Royal London q-f with Surrey the next day and were knocked out. Sangakkara. Enough said. Next match was Lord's and Middlesex the following Monday. It was hot, hot, hot. 33 degrees. Phew. We lost the toss in that match and it was crucial. They won it. They batted first and got 446. There is no doubt losing.that toss cost us as the baking sun opened up the cracks on the Lord's pitch and we lost by an innings. I honestly think when our captain called incorrectly with "that toss" our season went the way of the pear thereafter. I had said hi to Gary Ballance the night before and wished him good luck as the team were staying in the same hotel as me, The Danubuis directly across the road from the ground. We didn't get any luck at all in that match and they say the rest is history!
A Buchan

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 29 2017, 8:19 AM 

The trouble is, exact placing has seldom been so much of a lottery. Four teams went into the final round with one goal in mind. Three were going to achieve it. Somerset did so emphatically, Hampshire adequately, Yorkshire by picking up the required bonus point along the way to a humiliating defeat. If we think of the season as one where we finished mid-table, we are deluding ourselves.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 29 2017, 8:21 AM 

Nah then, Alex, canst'a give us a proper statistical analysis of these results?

Here we are ending up 4th, and that being the most voted for place ... but at the same time, in the other poll, the vast majority voted for F, "performance far worse than expected. Isn't that a contradiction?

I'll give it a go (with limited skills and knowledge):

The outcome corresponded to the modal class in the vote. But the median vote was for one place higher. And the narrow points difference between 4th and 7th implies that random elements determined the outcome -- our final position could just as well be expressed as 'equal 7th", or 'equal 4th' with a (95%?) probability. So the median expectation was that we would come third, the in-effect outcome that we were smeared over 4th-7th -- hence radical disappointment.

I'm sure you can do it better!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 29 2017, 8:28 AM 

Your assuming the same people voted in the pre season poll on our final placing and those voting in the end of season poll about our expectations.

I suspect the end of season debacle has brought in many posters not voting at the start!

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 29 2017, 11:31 AM 

You're right -- but this is tongue-in-cheek anyway happy.gif

I'd just like to provoke our statistician/moderator to blend his professional personas!

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 1 2017, 11:53 AM 

Also this poll only refers to Championship performance whereas the 'rate Yorkshire's performance in the 2017 season' could include the poster's assessment of performance in the other two competitions two- it did in my case, with the extremely disappointing T20 campaign further lowering my assessment of the season's performance.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk