<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Books

September 25 2017 at 10:38 AM
Guest  (Login ThirdUmpire)

I see Johnny Bairstow has a book out soon.

Think it's called Clear Blue Sky or even Under a Clear Blue Sky.

Has to be a worthwhile read in view of his story.

I've also just finished a book called Following On - in their Fathers Footsteps by James Buttler (ex YCCC communication manager) which was enjoyable in an attempt to see if being the son of a famous player was an advantage or not.

Plenty of Yorkshire connections with Sidebottom, Bairstow and Hutton of course but interestingly the only person who wouldn't respond to James interview requests was our current President.

I think it's generally accepted that having a cricketing father is an advantage as you are exposed to the game at an early age with plenty of access to kit, nets, advice etc

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Books

September 25 2017, 11:10 AM 

Its only an advantage if you're a good enough player in the first instance...

Which is probably why our President chose not to reply.
Has anyone seen him this year..?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 25 2017, 12:37 PM 

to be fair i saw him at headingley, not last game but the previous 2.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 25 2017, 1:09 PM 

I misread this thread title. Thought it was good books/bad books.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 25 2017, 1:32 PM 

Followed by a post about Harry Brook no doubt 😁

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 25 2017, 2:20 PM 

I don't like Richard Hutton's personality much, but he was a very respectable cricketer. Nowhere near as good as his dad, but then neither was anyone else.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Books

September 25 2017, 3:15 PM 

Many years ago I heard Richard Hutton speak. He said that even as a boy he was unfavourably compared to his father. He went on to say that luckily he grew in his teens and was able to become an all-rounder so that comparisons were no longer appropriate.
I believe he still holds a Yorkshire record for the best bowling figures in a one day match (7-15?). No doubt some statistical guru can confirm or refute that.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 25 2017, 3:51 PM 

Yes, Hutton took 7 for 15 in a John Player league game against Worcestershire in 1969. I was there (in the early days of going on my own) and felt quite ambivalent about it, because I was keen to see both Glenn Turner and Tom Graveney bat, but they hardly scored a run. It was a crushing win. I've a vague memory of Glenn Turner doing some bowling in that match, though it's possible I dreamt that.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk