<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: Other matches

September 25 2017, 9:02 PM 

happy.gif Yes, Somerset have gone from one extreme to the other.

Plenty of room for debate here. Howden, you might have noticed a lot of commentators on this Forum last year, when Gale and Franklin made their deal which guaranteed Somerset would not become champions, saying that Somerset were getting their just desserts for 'fixing' the pitches all year to favour their spinners!

But Somerset's defence now is that the authorities are trying to encourage spin -- so it would be a real contradiction for them to penalise counties for preparing spin-friendly pitches.

On the Somerset Forum, it was reported today that "someone was taking photographs" of both ends of the wicket before play began at Taunton today. The inspectors already on the spot? Or Somerset pre-emptively preparing a dossier of their case for the defence??

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 25 2017, 9:05 PM 

Quiz question: Which team hit the highest score in Division 1 of the County Championship today? 😉

(Login dpressed)

September 25 2017, 11:19 PM 

So we have a Lancastrian moaning about result pitches. Odd that they won the Championship the season they played away from Old Trafford and the following season moved their ladt'must won't match to Aigburth ..... Happily for Yorkies Lancs lost the match & were relegated.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 26 2017, 12:34 AM 

Ironic for Middlesex to complain about pitches when water got through the covers at Radlett two weeks ago and a score of 233 against Lancashire, batting first was enough to win the game.

If Somerset get points docked for poor pitches, then I fully expect retrospective punishment for Middlesex (and Derbyshire).

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 26 2017, 6:35 AM 

I think EYT has hit the nail on the head above. Irrespective of the track, Somerset got more than both Surrey and Essex in their first innings yesterday so does that make Taunton a bad track as it suited spinners more than seamers?

If you play cricket this late in September, bad weather intervenes. So if you need a win to survive relegation in a league where two from eight go down then you prepare a result track and not an Oval road. If you have had abuse in the past for making Taunton a batsmans paradise where teams were regularly chasing down over 400 in a game requiring several declarations and some agreement on targets then why is it fair to give the same abuse when you prepare a track favouring bowlers?

If you were diddled last season by an arranged finish in another match involving your current opponents why would you do anything that would give them an edge?

I think there are st least three issues above that are the fault of the ECB

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

September 26 2017, 7:26 AM 

ladt'must won't

Translation please.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 26 2017, 8:08 AM 

I read it as 'last "must win"'

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 26 2017, 9:45 AM 

I think we're conflating two events here: water got through the covers at Uxbridge (not Radlett) against Hants a few weeks ago (the match was a draw), and then Middlesex beat Lancs at Lord's with the highest score of the match being 233 while no other innings reached 200. I do agree with the point being made though: they can hardly complain about a poor pitch at Taunton when the last two home games they have hosted have seen scores lower than that which Somerset managed in each of the last 6 completed innings...

Me
(Login Idle_man)

September 26 2017, 10:30 AM 

Never good at sums miss, but am I right in thinking that if Middx declared with 5 down, Somerset couldn't overtake them?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 11:00 AM 

Middlesex 24-5 ---- time for a declaration!!!!

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 26 2017, 11:06 AM 

Hampshire in amongst the wickets as well so looking like Somerset/Middlesex to go down

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 26 2017, 11:11 AM 

Some diverting Somerset-Middlesex chat on the MTWD board. Seems to be a (general) thought that Somerset got themselves out rather than being spun out; that producing a spinning pitch is no longer an indictable offence - indeed that producing spinning pitches is ECB-approved; that Somerset have had no recent warnings for poor pitches; that home advantage is home advantage and , overall, no sanction is likely. MTWD homeboys still bewailing the 'arrow' deduction, but, hey: anything can happen to stop play so keep up with your over rate!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 11:55 AM 

Strangely enough, the way things are going in the Division two matches, Notts could end up not going up. Bizzare if it happens, as they have been runaway leaders all season, most of the time miles ahead on points as well.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 26 2017, 12:24 PM 

I have little sympathy for Middlesex.
(enjoyed writing that)

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 26 2017, 12:25 PM 

Ben Sanderson has 3 for 13 for Northants from 10 overs.

(Login Abishek)

September 26 2017, 12:55 PM 

Leach had a bit of a send-off for Malan. Looked like Trescothick had to hold him back a little

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 26 2017, 1:23 PM 

Middlesex 142 all out.

If Somerset win, they are safe (points deductions notwithstanding...)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 1:33 PM 

Also, if Somerset win and we lose, both Middlesex & Somerset will finish below us. Only 1 point though between us and Somerset and another point behind will be Middlesex. Could be us 148, Somerset 147, Middlesex 146.

Fine margins - a 1 run win at Taunton for us, 2 points deducted for Middlesex with the "arrow" incident"......

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 26 2017, 1:41 PM 

Looks like we'll escape by a point or two then. Ballance's priority when we bowl should be to ensure the over rate is maintained, without resorting to silly tactics like bowling part time spinners all the way through!

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 1:42 PM 

Pitches and home advantage. Do away with the toss completely and let the away team either bat or bowl. You'll immediately get pitches which provide a better bat v ball balance.

Personally I don't mind the present situation to much, my only issue are pitches which can never last more than a couple of days and therefore the 'preparing' county are wilfully depriving their own members of cricket.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk