<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: Other matches

September 28 2017, 11:57 AM 

middx about to lose, then all attention goes to egbaston, hants do not need to win, they just need to avoid losing, 1 wicket down right now, but rain in the air.....this looks like going into the final session of the final day of the season

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 28 2017, 12:08 PM 

This is a Yorkshire forum! And someone is suggesting Robin Hood came from Nottingham???

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 28 2017, 12:44 PM 

What about Dick Turpin and Guy Fawkes - were they Yorkshiremen!?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 28 2017, 12:53 PM 

My apologies very slack and lazy on my part in an attempt to link Hales as a Notts player with an arrow connection but Loxley wouldn't fit

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 28 2017, 1:00 PM 

Att: Dwight_Schrute: "Hmm. Fair play to Lancs. Expected them to struggle this season".

So did the bookmakers - they had Lancashire down as second favourites for relegation this season. Essex were favourites to finish bottom.

Also, Lancashire were the only side not to lose to Essex in the Championship - Lancs finished on top in BOTH drawn matches. Ryan McLaren was easily our best player this season and it helps to have your overseas player (McLaren) available for every match.

For the second season running, Lancs did not lose a game at Old Trafford but have not won AWAY for more than two years.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 28 2017, 1:11 PM 

Fawkes was born in York and I can only assume that Brian Sellers would have had no objection to him opening the bowling at the Kirkstall Lane End (though I think he was one of those bowlers who always thought they were bowling hand grenades). Turpin was from Essex, so it might be wise to choose another day to discuss him.
I think the first recorded exploits of Robin Hood have him near Doncaster, but that doesn't tell us which side of the border he came from. As for real people, there was a Robert Hood in Wakefield in medieval times who generally gets a mention in all this, but, according to Wikipedia (so it may be wrong): "The earliest known legal records mentioning a person called Robin Hood (Robert Hod) are from 1226, found in the York Assizes, when that person's goods, worth 32 shillings and 6 pence, were confiscated and he became an outlaw. Robert Hod owed the money to St Peter's in York." This raises the possibility that he was (a) related to Andy Hodd and (b) died owing money to Jonny Bairstow's old school.

EDIT:
To be fair to the Wikipedia article, I should add that it states that: "Robin Hood's Yorkshire origins are universally accepted by professional historians", which seems to be true as far as I can tell. But this does probably mean we're laying claim to a fairly dubious character.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on Sep 28, 2017 1:19 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2017, 1:21 PM 

Guy Fawkes was also born in York and went to St Peters School. That is why they celebrate bonfire night but never have a "guy".

(Login dikaiopolis)

September 28 2017, 1:33 PM 

And the Fawkes family still live at Farnley Hall near Otley, although I think they are a slightly different branch of the family.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2017, 1:38 PM 

No points deduction for Somerset. Below average but not poor, which would have meant a points deduction.

Straight fight between Middleses & Hampshire now. Hampshire have just lost 3 wickets for 4 runs and are 72-4. New "first" for Hants if they go down. Relegated fron Division One two seasons in a row.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 28 2017, 1:47 PM 

This is a Yorkshire forum! And someone is suggesting Robin Hood came from Nottingham???

He still lives here & works in our local fish n chip shop, Friar Tucks.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 28 2017, 1:59 PM 

Got to be scope for some sort of Yorkshire Da Vinci Code here. It all ends in St Peter's school chapel in a Stokesian climax with hooded monks, Essex bandits and the bloke from the chip shop, who turns out to be Mr Big.
"The Lord Hawke Memorandum" - I'm writing it already.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 28 2017, 2:05 PM 

I wonder if Fawkes and Foakes are descendants from the same line of ancestry

Which in turn begs the question about Wawkes and Woakes and then Stawkes and Stokes although I'm not sure I'd want to be associated if called Stawkes personally

Idle woman
(Login Idle_man)

September 28 2017, 2:12 PM 

You're all as mad as each other.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 28 2017, 4:07 PM 

65 overs bowled at Edgbaston is it 80 overs in total today ?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 28 2017, 4:12 PM 

I think it's 88 total.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 28 2017, 4:13 PM 

Thanks Dwight, appreciated

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 28 2017, 4:13 PM 

Cricinfo has 21.4 left. Come on Warwickshire, be the instrument of justice!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2017, 4:26 PM 

19 overs left.

It is 96 overs all 4 days, but no time is added on for any delays for rain on the 4th day. On other days, 1/2 an hour can be added to make up any lost time, and extra overs can be bowled (up to 8) on the 2nd and 3rd days, also to make up any lost time.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 28 2017, 4:27 PM 

a fitting end, if warks beat hants then hants deserve to go down, if not then middlesex (who are the only team to lose to warks) deserve to go down.

nice to sit back and enjoy, content with our 4th place finish

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 28 2017, 4:59 PM 

Can't see Hampshire losing from here

< Previous Page 13 4 5 6 7 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk