<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Other matches

September 25 2017 at 1:26 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Somerset are playing three spinners and have got off to a cracking start. The pitch is taking spin already, and Middlesex have Rayner injured and not playing. Looks like Somerset have a massive advantage in the spin department, probably enough to ensure an easy win for them.

Patel, Stirling & Malan all bowled so far and both wickets to spinners!! If they are Middlesex`s only spin options, then I think Middlesex are doomed (hopefully with very few points).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 25, 2017 1:54 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Other matches

September 25 2017, 1:36 PM 

Some farewells today with Read playing his last game and Onions announcing he is leaving Durham.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 25 2017, 3:17 PM 

4 spinners (3 of them very much part-timers) used by Middlesex now and all 4 wickets to them. Somerset have 3 top class spinners. This is going to be a mis-match. If part time spinners can get wickets on the first day, Somersets three are going to have a field day later on in the match. Hopefully 3 points only for Middlesex.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 25 2017, 3:21 PM 

You could have the same debate about spinners on this thread as on the Essex game re seamers.

Just pick three spinners and they can do the job of four so pick another batsman

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 25 2017, 3:49 PM 

Yes that would be correct. But Malan and Voges are possibly their best two batsmen so not sure what batsman you want to replace them with!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 25 2017, 3:52 PM 

Whoops.. Somerset are committing sui-cider. Looks like we're nearly safe.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 25 2017, 3:53 PM 

I mentioned the other day that I quite rate Ravi Patel and he's putting the skids under Somerset a bit at the moment. Just taken two wickets in two balls.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 25 2017, 3:54 PM 

So by applying the same logic we could say Bres is our best batsman not in the team..... so he should play and the fact he bowls Seam up as fifth choice is just a bonus!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 25 2017, 3:57 PM 

Bresnan is a good enough front line bowler not a part timer though. He's capable of a full role with the ball. Not bit part.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 25 2017, 4:30 PM 

There are moments when you're (just about) entitled to quote yourself, so I'll seize this one and quote myself from 11 Sept in a thread entitled "The Next Big Thing":

'If I'm scrupulously honest, the spinner I've been most impressed by in recent seasons is Ravi Patel of Middlesex. I first saw him at New Road (I think) and probably had a "next big thing" moment of my own. His progress seems to have stalled at the moment, as they say, but he got big turn on an unhelpful track when, if I remember rightly, Roland-Jones snaffled several wickets at the other end.'

He's taken 6 for 81 as I write, though it would help if he could manage another wicket before the men from Ciderspace get to 250.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 25 2017, 4:38 PM 

.....and he has, job done for us!!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 25 2017, 5:05 PM 

Middlesex need 250 then or to avoid defeat.

Promising start 4-2..

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 25 2017, 5:06 PM 

Middx in grave danger of going down now.

only thing that could possibly save them is to declare now!

without penalties that would guarantee them finishing ahead of somst

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 25 2017, 5:10 PM 

I wonder if they'll try begging an appeal for when arrowgate prevented them tidying up their over rate.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 25 2017, 5:11 PM 

Straight fight now between Middlesex & Somerset as to who goes down.

A Somerset points deduction for a crappy pitch would be interesting!!

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

September 25 2017, 5:11 PM 

Middlesex 5-3 already.

(Login eastriding)

Crappy pitches at Taunton

September 25 2017, 5:13 PM 

As much as I enjoy Middlesex's current discomfort, Somerset should be getting points deductions for their crappy pitches

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 25 2017, 5:13 PM 

Just so!

Leach doing the business for them, but if he does too good a job ...

Points docked for Somerset to match Middx's 'arrow' deduction??

Could end up like last year, when the suits not the players decide who goes down!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 25 2017, 5:14 PM 

2 day match at Taunton??

How they manage to get away with no points deductions for the " bunsen burners" they produce from day 1, is beyond me.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 25 2017, 5:20 PM 

Straight fight now between Middlesex & Somerset as to who goes down.

no!

hants could go down yet

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk