<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Championship | Essex vs Yorkshire at Chelmsford (Day Two)

September 26 2017, 11:49 AM 

Call for TKC

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 11:51 AM 

Bowling out the county champions for under 250 yet bowling is our weakness
50-3 with hodd in next but batting is not an issue

Btw the above statements are the beliefs of a few regular forum posters and not mine. We all know the culprits

Make that 50-4 great batting performance again

Thoughts of Dave Morton

"There are deficiencies in the side that need to be addressed. These do not include the batting"

70-5 Dave

My comments were made in the heat of the battle East Tyke and i apologised for my over exuberance we were 90-7 and virtually relegated until our heroic 8 and 9 batsman saved us.
I've not claimed we have no issues with our batting. Feel free to find my comments that contradict my beliefs

This message has been edited by FreshStart1987 on Sep 26, 2017 12:14 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 11:57 AM 

We are in to the tail already, and still not avoided the follow-on target. Hardly unexpected though, with the batting we picked not enough of them).

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 26 2017, 12:00 PM 

It does not look good, does it.

Grateful we knew already yesterday that we are not relegated. Still, do not want to end up sixth.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 26 2017, 12:02 PM 

Thoughts of Frank Smith

"A firing squad is a punishment that's not befitting this debacle. We are an absolute shambles and any player that wants to stay div 1 can rot in hell for me. Nobody has done anything this year apart from coad and early ballance to even deserve a contract."

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 26 2017, 12:04 PM 

Completely different game now after crying Essex got the umpires to change a perfectly decent ball for another.......

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 26 2017, 12:04 PM 

Alibor - I agree that Lees looked shot at Scarborough. Probably his low point in the season. But he scored 46 and 100 v Surrey (which I saw and thought he had definitely turned a corner) and although he didnt pull up trees last week (a game I didn't see), people report that he looked OK. KC could have played instead of a bowler in this game, but imagine what it would have done for Lees confidence if he had been dropped after doing so well at the Oval? KC on the other hand is a new player who is making his way into the side.

Put it another way. If we had left Lees out at the Oval, would we have managed the draw? These are finely balanced decisions that Ballance, Gale and Moxon have to make.

This message has been edited by Martin00 on Sep 26, 2017 12:05 PM

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 26 2017, 12:11 PM 

Unlucky for Yorkshire there Ballance out.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 12:12 PM 

Unlucky? It's not a white ball game. No reason to be out backing up.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 26 2017, 12:13 PM 

GB run out off a Hodd straight drive.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 26 2017, 12:16 PM 

Indeed the batting has clearly been an issue for a few seasons now. Far too many under-performing and it really does need reviewing and addressing for next season.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 26 2017, 12:18 PM 

It was unlucky that the bowler just got a fingertip or so on the ball. Ballance was right to be backing up. Most first class cricketers back up. it's not like he was halfway down the pitch.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 26 2017, 12:19 PM 

How anyone can say our batting is not a weakness is beyond me. What level of performance would make it a problem? It is not just the lack of runs, but the manner of the often short innings. When Ballance went to England in June, you looked down the list and there was literally no-one you had confidence in. There have been various shades of that since mid-2015.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 26 2017, 12:22 PM 

Ballance's dismissal doesn't look good really. Not sure of the necessity to be that far down the track backing-up in such a situation.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 26 2017, 12:27 PM 

There is no excuse for such carelessness in a CC match, especially from captain when wickets are tumbling around him. Agree Martin, that Lees scored runs on Oval featherbed but he had two low scores against Warwickshire and K-C should not have been excluded at Chelmsford - indeed I would have preferred him as opening partner for Lyth. I do not think Brathwaite is good selection as overseas player and expect this will be his last match for us. Young West Indoan Shai Hope is a much better future prospect. Thankfully we have just avoided relegation but some fundamental changes are required for next season.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 12:28 PM 

"How anyone can say our batting is not a weakness is beyond me. What level of performance would make it a problem?"

I'd like to know the answer to this question too..

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Ballance out backing up

September 26 2017, 12:29 PM 

It's just plain dumb in Championship cricket.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 12:29 PM 

Ballance was averaging over 100 before England picked him and then getting injured. Since he came back his average is 26.

Jennings very similar with Durham. Not sure what England do to players, but I would prefer the pre-England Gary back with us.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 26 2017, 12:35 PM 

Batting is our problem. Over the last 2 or 3 seasons we had Bairstow and or Bresnan to save us, but weakness always catches up with you.

We need to stick with Lees and Leaning. Both have so much potential and as we continue to invest in them, we need to do it the Yorkshire way and develop our own.

What we need is a quality opening overseas batsman - Would be great to get Marsh back.

In addition we need a keeper batsman who is good enough to bat top 6.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 26 2017, 12:39 PM 

I don't know if anyone's interested in facts in this "debate", but of course Yorkshire are 84 for 5 at the moment and Essex (county championship leaders by 69 points) were also 84 for 5 after two hours yesterday.
Essex's top 5 have scored 79 runs against Yorkshire's rather depleted attack (no Sidebottom, Rashid or Plunkett), while Yorkshire's top 5 got only 60, but that includes Ballance's relatively odd dismissal.
I'd like to see the batting strengthened during the closed season, as I've said on several occasions, but I don't think all the hysteria is justified.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk