<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

Re: Championship | Essex vs Yorkshire at Chelmsford (Day Two)

September 26 2017, 12:39 PM 

I don't know if anyone's interested in facts in this "debate", but of course Yorkshire are 84 for 5 at the moment and Essex (county championship leaders by 69 points) were also 84 for 5 after two hours yesterday.
Essex's top 5 have scored 79 runs against Yorkshire's rather depleted attack (no Sidebottom, Rashid or Plunkett), while Yorkshire's top 5 got only 60, but that includes Ballance's relatively odd dismissal.
I'd like to see the batting strengthened during the closed season, as I've said on several occasions, but I don't think all the hysteria is justified.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 26 2017, 12:39 PM 

"In addition we need a keeper batsman who is good enough to bat top 6."

Who is this wicket keeper/ batsman you'd sign then?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 12:46 PM 

'but of course Yorkshire are 84 for 5 at the moment and Essex (county championship leaders by 69 points) were also 84 for 5 after two hours yesterday.'

If it was a debate based on one match then you'd have a good point.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 26 2017, 12:47 PM 

I suppose Alex Davies might be disgruntled by the signing of Jennings. And it's possible that Joe Clarke might just be persuaded to move to somewhere where he can keep wicket, though not right at the moment, I wouldn't think - and he's likely to be on the England radar soon. Oddly enough, there are a few good young keeper batsmen around. Alex Milton, who has just signed for Worcestershire is one of them (another Malvern product).
Hodd just given out lbw to a ball which seemed to pitch outside leg and hit him outside leg. Has there been a law change?

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Championship | Essex vs Yorkshire at Chelmsford (Day Two)

September 26 2017, 12:49 PM 

90 - 6. Maybe Bresnan should have played instead of Lees, Leaning, Braithwaite for all the use they are as batsmen. Bowlers hardly get a rest with our batsmen.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 12:52 PM 

Strong batting performance this morning. Six wickets falling in one session is mighty impressive thank god we haven't got a problem.....

Big Rich.
(Login Newyorkie)

September 26 2017, 12:52 PM 

That LBW against Andrew Hodd was an appalling decision. Was swinging miles down leg side. Even hit him outside the line of leg stump.I thought the Leaning LBW dismissal was rather dubious aswell.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 26 2017, 12:53 PM 

In a strong position here, all leading up nicely to when Patto gets in. I'm not all that convinced regarding Lees and Leaning for next season, perhaps Leaning for the one day format, potential can only wing it so far.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 26 2017, 1:02 PM 

After having Essex 80-5 at Lunch yesterday, did any of us expect us to fare better this morning with our flimsy batting line up against their new ball bowlers? If by chance Patterson and Fisher repeat their last match heroics again, it will surely tell us that everything in the garden is not rosy and that some pruning and replanting is required 😀

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 26 2017, 1:04 PM 

If you look well enough you can find players.

Villas for example at Lanc was a Kolpak this time last year. He would have been ideal.

I aren't going to go 'Fantasy Football' style and say someone daft like Duckett (who barely keeps these days.

But I don't buy this "nobody out there" mindset.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 1:12 PM 

I agree Lew

Vilas and harmer were hardly house hold names and neither was viljoen at Derbyshire. All successful Kolpac signings for me

There's talent out there just got to be shrewd. I'd certainly be making marsh a priority for next seasons overseas tho

None of us know every single cricketer world wide so I don't think it's fair to claim nobody is out there

September 26 2017, 1:23 PM 

Vilas has hardly set the world alight, in fact his average in his last 6 Championship games (11 innings) is something like 11, he'd better be a much superior keeper to Hodd if we're casting him aside with a record like that!
Outside of JB this 1,000 runs a season keeper people are shouting for just doesn't exist in the real world.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 26 2017, 1:31 PM 

Am I missing something with Shaun Marsh? I've only seen him in the flesh once - for the Aussies at Derby a couple of years ago, where he looked OK, but nothing special. He's played two f/c matches for Yorkshire, one on the featherbead at Surrey, where he scored 78 and 125 (Lees scored 46 and 102), and the other at Headingley against Middlesex, where he scored 22 (Lees got 27).
I'm not sure why one of these players is supposed to be hopeless and the other is some kind of prime target...

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 26 2017, 1:35 PM 

Villas is averaging 35 over the season which is 10 more than Lyth, Lees and Hodd.

Feels a bit sly to judge him on the last 6 games.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 26 2017, 1:37 PM 

Posters complained in the last match that we should not have played 5 seamers.....

...think we should play 6 or 7 seamers, they consistently outscore the so called batsmen.

You think TKC would have done better than the 6 that are already out? He is not Sangakara you know.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 1:38 PM 

Has anybody mentioned 1000 runs a season keeper?? I thought we suggested a wicket keeper who is capable of scoring a 100??

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 1:40 PM 

Steven Davies was the one.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 1:44 PM 

Dwight I mentioned him last Friday but certain individuals said it was unrealistic and we have Adam gilchrist I mean Andrew hodd

September 26 2017, 1:48 PM 

Vilas averages 33 largely thanks to one innings in which he scored 1/3 of his season's runs. In fact Hodd has more 50+ scores than Vilas this season. Vilas' record is hardly which screams of top 6 consistency.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 26 2017, 1:54 PM 

Gareth Roderick another decent keeper who can clearly hold his own with the bat. He has recently been injured but has a very decent average. It's a bit absurd to infer there's not a plausible alternative to Hodd in the global cricketing world.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk