<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Jay
(Login overman8)

Re: Championship | Essex vs Yorkshire at Chelmsford (Day Two)

September 26 2017, 3:28 PM 

Impressive from Lawrence, even Boycott would be proud of such an effort.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 3:31 PM 

You only get bonus points in one innings. The bulk of Essex's top order is averaging in the region of 40. Bulk of ours Mid 20s. Ballance the obvious exception.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 26 2017, 3:31 PM 

Seems to me that we have every right to be critical of our batting performances. But Peter is also right that when you look at this division (and in particular how close second and last place are going to be), you would be forgiven for thinking that pretty much every team is failing!

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 3:33 PM 

Perhaps every other team apart from Essex aren't too ignorant to admit their failings

It's getting tedious the amount of people sticking up for our batsmen

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 3:35 PM 

Frank, i think once Dave Morton stops being stubborn his legion of followers will cave..

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 26 2017, 3:39 PM 

So just caught up with the score after a day in meetings.

Hodd bashing aplenty which seems a tad harsh when he got the second top score and most of the so called top order batsmen failed miserably. It's a bit rich to blame our batting failings on the keeper and conveniently forget those in the team for batting alone.

The experiment with Bratthwaite has made Tahir and Inzaman seem like great signings. TKC could have done better with hindsight.

And out all out total made me chuckle.

I recall a radio announcer once supposedly saying that Yorkshire had scored 340-5 with Hutton ill. He then apologised and said 'I'm sorry I'll read that again , Hutton 111'.

Today I sense the same announcer reading Yorkshire as being 111 all out when actually to describe our innings as ill would be more accurate

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 26 2017, 3:42 PM 

"It's getting tedious the amount of people sticking up for our batsmen"

Not nearly as tedious as people calling for the coaching staff and half the team to be replaced without any serious considerations for how this would be done though!

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 26 2017, 3:46 PM 

I've never been in the Dave Morton camp as far as our batting is concerned, to make that clear! But I think it is a fair question to ask if other teams in the division are within spitting distance of us in the table, what does that say about their batting. Is everyone mediocre? Has the competition this year (in general) been of lower quality than previous seasons?

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 26 2017, 3:46 PM 

>> Frank, i think once Dave Morton stops being stubborn his legion of followers will cave..

I think you underestimate the bloody-mindedness of the average Yorkshire fan wink.gif

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 26 2017, 3:47 PM 

Thanks Third Umpire for making me chuckle after doom and gloom at today's proceedings! Have just returned from lovely sunny week in Spain but we could not land last night until nearly midnight because of heavy fog at Edinburgh, so needed cheering up!

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 26 2017, 3:59 PM 

Indeed Peter, let's keep it (our batting) in perspective over the last 3 seasons. There's certainly no denying it's been pretty dire, and mainly bailed by our tailend.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 26 2017, 4:04 PM 

think most teams have batting frailities.....brought on by t20 cricket and ignoring the art of defending good balls.

Up and coming batsmen are not interested in defending their wickets against good balls, just scoring as many runs as quickly as possible. The odd exception such as Hameed is heavily criticised for slow scoring, but you do not lose matches if the opposition cannot get you out.

poor batting techniques is prevalent in all types of cricket these days. Thats why they talk about 4 day test matches, a test match lasting more than 4 days is a rarity indeed.

price we pay for encouraging t20 which i said right at the start will destroy the great game of cricket.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 4:10 PM 

To my knowledge people have only been asking for a gritty top order run scorer and a wicket keeper who could score a century

2 out of 11 with my calculations isn't half the team. Before you start the same people have also suggested giving carver or shutt a go so that's not a signing its promoting youth.

I want change in the coaching structure like most people. It's obvious we all feel (well non-mortons) we need an outside voice who's not played with any of the current side to come in and work alongside or replace the current incumbents.

Please stop this exaggeration and the ott responses to sensible suggestions mentioned above and previously.

Dave Morton is one of the most respected and long-standing members of the WRF, and his opinions carry a lot of weight. Please be respectul of his opinions, and those of all posters, for that matter."

Alex, Moderator

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Sep 26, 2017 4:40 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 4:11 PM 

Well - i think i'll just focus on the cricket today and keep my opinions to myself.
I think we've been champions in two of the last three seasons so we aren't too shabby a side - whatever anyone wants to say about our batting.
And i've never been a disciple of anyone - but if someone knows as much about cricket as Dave Morton its probably worth treating his opinion with respect at least.

Have a nice afternoon everyone.
I'll be back in October when everyone has gone.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 26 2017, 4:20 PM 

That's not like you Steve, i'll certainly miss the odd sanctimonious post or two.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 4:23 PM 

2 out of the last 4 years. Essex and Middlesex have won the 2017 and 2016 county championships respectively

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 26 2017, 4:26 PM 

"Please stop this exaggeration and the ott responses to sensible suggestions mentioned above and previously."

Yes, you're quiet right Frank, your suggestion that machine gunning the current side wouldn't be punishment enough was entirely sensible.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 4:36 PM 

Steve, i think you're being abit over dramatic there. However knowledgable, you can't be right all of the time..

ECT posed a good question earlier in the thread regarding the batting, i've yet to see an answer.

'What level of performance would make it a problem? '

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 26 2017, 4:48 PM 

Dwight your wasting your breath it's just a dictatorship. My account gets hacked and this appears

"Dave Morton is one of the most respected and long-standing members of the WRF, and his opinions carry a lot of weight. Please be respectul of his opinions, and those of all posters, for that matter."

Nobody's allowed an opinion that is not in line with what the above gentleman thinks. I've made valid points and I've not been rude yet I'm greeted with this lol

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 4:51 PM 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just no need for the name calling or insults to other posters.

< Previous Page 13 4 5 6 7 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk