<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

Greatest all rounder?

September 27 2017, 12:00 PM 

Garfield Sobers???

No way.... The greatest all rounder will always be Wilfred Rhodes. No contest.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Re: Hales & Stokes: Sowing their wild oats!

September 27 2017, 2:23 PM 

The new title is a spoof on the "Hall and Oats "'duet. Thought we needed a laugh, given the state of the current match. "He's a Man Eater" didn't seem apropos.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 27 2017, 2:33 PM 

Alex

Leave him alone , he's a family man whose bark is much worse than his fight (sic)"

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 27 2017, 2:57 PM 

Sir Garfield Sobers is the greatest all rounder I have ever seen. Great batsman, quick and slow bowler, versatile and fine fielder and an excellent captain - a gentleman sportsman.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 28 2017, 9:07 AM 

Had to laugh at a tweet I saw yesterday which said the ecb punishment will be to dock Durham 48 points next season.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 28 2017, 12:07 PM 

lol, don't.

teams have in the recent past been docked points because of player misbehaviour

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2017, 3:32 PM 

From BBC Sport

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales suspended by England after Bristol incident.

How long for? Is a replacement needed for the Aussie tour?

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 28 2017, 3:49 PM 

I am sure it is.....Liam Plunkett?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 28 2017, 3:51 PM 

I'd be tempted by Plunkett too. Gives you the chance to move everyone up one and Plunkett/Overton to slot in at 9 as replacement for Stokes.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 28 2017, 3:55 PM 

"until further notice"

Only thing ECB could do really. Gives them time whilst the police carry out their investigations. I understand Stokes will be interviewed again in the coming days by the police. Of course if the man who was punched by Stokes doesn't wish to press charges then that would be the end of that. I'd suspect Stokes would then be stripped of the v/c, given a final written warning but would be free to win The Ashes in glory scoring a 4th innings century in Sydney?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 28 2017, 4:01 PM 

Yes, lucky he's vice-captain really. It gives them the opportunity for a slap on the wrist without losing him as a player. It would look a bit feeble, but I would guess they're desperate to keep him.

Of course, if the police proceed and he is convicted, the ECB will have no option but to leave him at home. It may not even be up to them.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 28 2017, 4:23 PM 

hmmm, sorry but this stinks.

Stokes has an awful lot more money than me. How much does he have to give his victim to evade justice and continue his career?

If it were I, I would not be able to offer enough to get off with it.

Do we really still have a two tier justice system? if you have enough cash you can do an OJ?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 28 2017, 4:32 PM 

What are you talking about? Who is talking about offering money? You've really gone off on one there.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 28 2017, 4:33 PM 

If it's a civil case, lawyers can arrange an out of court settlement. If it's a civil case, which it will be if the police proceed,and he offers the victim - a witness - money - that's a further offence. I think.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 28 2017, 5:04 PM 

I'm not sure what stokes has wage to do with anything?

I agree the ECB have done what they must, didn't really have many other realistic options.
The video that's doing the rounds doesn't look great, especially the second part where he punches the man to the ground.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 28 2017, 5:21 PM 

If I understand the law correctly, the Police cannot proceed with a prosecution unless the alleged victim decides to press charges.

Right now, there are no charges, so stokes is quite at liberty to offer his victim whatever it takes for him to take no further action.

It is only a crime to bribe a witness after charges have been brought.

I may be wrong, please correct me if i am.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 28 2017, 5:36 PM 

Yep doubt anything will happen (good old UK Law), then expect the ECB to come out with a statement saying hes been severely reprimanded and wish to leave it at that and he is now available for selection, Money will win no matter what.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 28 2017, 5:56 PM 

I wouldn't say it was just because he is wealthy. I've known a few cases like this, some social some work related. Quite often both parties would rather just let it go and move on. No one I know involved lost their jobs over it.
Let's not blow it out of proportion, on one hand you can't say hold them up to a higher standard because he's well known and expect overly harsh punishment beyond that a man in the street.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

The state makes the charge

September 28 2017, 7:10 PM 

Of course what the injured party says is important and can lead to charges not being made but it is the DPP who, in conjunction with the police, will look at the evidence and decide if a charge is to be made in the public interest.

I haven't watched the CCTV coverage of the incident and have no idea what sparked the fight, which is probably similar to hundreds that take place outside clubs and pubs every weekend.

I'm surprised with the number of staff the ECB employ that someone as volatile as Stokes doesn't have a full time minder.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 28 2017, 7:19 PM 

Whatever the ins and outs, it's been a bad week for cricket and has shown our game in a very bad light. Every bit as bad as the controversies that regularly involve footballers and rugby players. Add to that the introduction of red cards and sin bins and it's probably the worst news week for the game since the spot fixing scandal.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk