<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Anthony Bradbury
(Login buckhursthill1)

Re: Hales & Stokes: Sowing their wild oats!

September 28 2017, 7:51 PM 

It will be for the Crown Prosecution service, having read all the witness statements that the police can collect, to advise the police whether to charge or not. Evidence as to what was said or done within the Night Club may be significant in determining whether all relevant parties may have been subsequently outside, and why they were outside.

Self Defence is a tricky topic which jurors can only consider once they have formed a view on the facts.
It is possible to proceed with a trial even if an alleged victim chooses not to want to participate, or is not available,-as for example in all murders- but it is much more difficult for the Crown if an alleged victim decides to withdraw from participation, and then cannot be cross examined. Vast numbers of domestic violence cases fall by the wayside because the alleged victim decides not to carry on.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 6 2017, 1:00 PM 

From BBC Sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41522536

From the article

".....Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball and Liam Plunkett have each begin given written warnings for their conduct.

They are not connected to the Stokes incident, for which batsman Alex Hales volunteered to help police with their investigation....."

From Cricinfo

" In a raft of announcements from the ECB, it was also confirmed that three other players who had been out drinking with Stokes and Hales on the night in question - namely Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball and Liam Plunkett - have accepted a formal written warning and an undisclosed fine for unprofessional conduct....."

The BBC Sport & Cricinfo reports seem to contradict each other. One says it is not connected to the Stokes incident, and the other says it is connected.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Oct 6, 2017 1:11 PM

(Login WhiteroseDave)

October 6 2017, 1:14 PM 

I assume that it was connected in the sense that they were out drinking late with them when they shouldn't have been but unconnected to the major incident which took place with Stokes & Hales involved when presumably the other 3 had gone home/elsewhere?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Hales &amp; Stokes: Sowing their wild oats!

October 6 2017, 1:17 PM 

Going home was the best decision those three ever made.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Hales &amp; Stokes: Sowing their wild oats!

October 6 2017, 1:18 PM 

Going home was the best decision those three ever made.

(Login matthefish2002)

October 6 2017, 1:50 PM 

Not impressed reading that Ball, Bairstow and Plunkett been out drinking late middle of a ODI series.
Don't expect young lads to live like monks but time and a place for everything.
Always got impression that Bairstow was a model pro.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 6 2017, 2:01 PM 

There were pictures all over the press of team members, Jonny included, out round Manchester after the ODI just a few days prior to the Bristol incident.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

October 6 2017, 4:14 PM 

Don't see that late night drinking per se, after an odi is a bad thing, can't think why our jonny and liam were reprimanded for that, neither got into any sort of trouble and the match was over.

Halfway through a test match would be a whole lot different as they would need to perform the following morning.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

October 6 2017, 5:06 PM 

I wouldn't disagree up to a point. A meal and a couple of drinks no problems. Anything that involves late night town centre drinking after midnight doesn't seem right to me mid series though.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 6 2017, 5:38 PM 

It is very disturbing to learn that you can be done for murder, even without complaint from the victim.

That found the sweet spot in my sense of humour, first real laugh of the day.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 6 2017, 7:51 PM 

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect highly paid sportsmen to limit their drinking and get to bed at a reasonable time whenever they are close to a match. It's not long since Yorkshire's COACH was getting stick on here for a charity evening before a match.

Incidentally my own bit of gossip I picked up from a minor sports journalist was that Hales, out celebrating his engagement (er, where was the fiancée?) was being photographed getting very intimate with a woman in the club, and the escalation to violence followed. If that's true, it's a lot less presentable than the convenient 'confronting homophobia' stuff, and could get Stokes into very serious trouble.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Breaking news

October 7 2017, 10:24 AM 

Sky to combine cricket and boxing channels.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 11 2017, 6:44 PM 

It goes from bad to Worse for Ben.

From BBC Sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41589080

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 12 2017, 7:59 AM 

And even worse, sponsors, New Balance, pulling out.

Money is the thing ECB appear to care most about, they wont like this.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

October 12 2017, 9:04 AM 

How immature & stupid is Stokes becoming ? To quote Del Boy " what a grade A plonker "

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

October 15 2017, 12:48 PM 

See Stokes got married yesterday.

Hope it's (not) a big hit.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 16 2017, 8:13 AM 

I've just started to read through a few cheap cricket biographies on my kindle one of which is by Martin Bicknell. He tells tales of Adam Holioake thumping people in night clubs when his team mates advances on the local ladies upset the local gentlemen.

The only thing that's changed is the access to cameras now

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 16 2017, 12:00 PM 

I think the arrogance of that generation of Surrey players went beyond the norm.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

October 28 2017, 11:25 AM 

The Sun has exclusively said that 2 gay guys have said Stokes was defending them after homophobic remarks & threats to their well being. Where have they been all this time.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 28 2017, 11:31 AM 

The tale Idleman heard more plausible for me. But the public will lap up the gay guys story!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk