Alex  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: WRF POLL | Rate Yorkshire's Performance in the 2017 Season

September 26 2017, 2:12 PM 

when do we get to vote for player of the season?

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 26 2017, 2:13 PM 

That poll will go up tomorrow.
""

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 2:23 PM 

Well below expectations. Relegation scrap and failing to get out of the T20 group the reasoning. 50 over comp was about par.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 26 2017, 2:37 PM 

I voted well below, but was actually just what I expected when we appointed Gale as coach. We have gone backwards in all three competitions, a long way backwards in two of them.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 26 2017, 2:39 PM 

Most definitely gone for F. Alex can there be some consideration given to doing a poll regarding our coach being given more time or not. I would be curious to see the outcome of that one, I know it wouldn't sit well with the Karma police but just interested to know.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 26 2017, 2:46 PM 

I went for C. I disagree that we've gone backwards in T20 - I actually think we've made huge strides in this format, despite not progressing to the knockout stages this year. I recall a rather unguarded interview with Fisher a couple of years back where he confessed that the bowlers hadn't practised any T20 skills ahead of a big game! Now look at someone like Patto, who has reinvented himself as an effective T20 bowler who can land the wide yorker every time. Or Lyth, previously discarded as a T20 option, with his hitting at the top of the order. Good things await...

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 26 2017, 2:54 PM 

Exactly i think we have a good t20 side so failing to get out of the group is below expectations.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 26 2017, 2:56 PM 

Point taken - although we were a bit unlucky! And you could argue that the performances were better than the eventual outcome.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 26 2017, 3:50 PM 

Voted somewhat below as it is what I expected after appointing Gale as "coach" and with mess re overseas player and fixture list.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 26 2017, 3:54 PM 

I'm surprised we need a poll at all for this.

Well below expectations I had at start of season but international call ups, injuries, scheduling, woeful batting, poor overseas choices have all been detrimental although selection and our approach have also not helped us

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 26 2017, 4:21 PM 

I was waiting for this!

Unfortunately, it's got to be well below expectations for me. In my opinion we've gone backwards in all three formats.

RL50: semis last year, quarters this year. We actually did quite well in this comp this year, aided by the availability of our England players, but again fell at the knockout stages. We were unfortunate that we were without our England players for the QF, but we still seem to have an issue with knockout matches. Grade C overall: performance about in-line with expectations.

T20: semis last year, group stage this year. Very disappointing final performance in this. Some great displays with the bat but with two overseas players as well as our three England white ball internationals available for more or less the whole competition, we had one of the strongest squads in the tournament yet failed to make it out of the group. Some comments above giving credit to the coaches for certain players improving in T20 in the last couple of years which is fair enough, but the fact that we lost almost every single close game does not give the impression of a well-coached, well-led team confident of their plans in my opinion. Based on actual performance versus potential, this is a grade E for me.

Championship: third last year, ??? this year- however the true reflection is challenging for the tile last year, battling relegation this year. We've gone a long way backwards, with our dominance of recent years definitely now a thing of the last, and our survival down to Somerset panic on the last day, a remarkable innings from Ballance at Hampshire and nearly as good an effort from Patto last week- without any one of these factors we could easily be playing Division Two cricket next season. A number of the superb double Championship winning group have declined severely- notably Brooks, Bresnan, Lees, Lyth- while only Coad has really broken through. Is the fact that all of these players have suffered poor seasons at the same time a coincidence, down to age or is there something else at play? Are the current coaching team (and that means the team as a whole, not just Gale) the right ones to take us forward? I think it's something that the club needs to review carefully come the end of the season. Another grade E.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 26, 2017 4:22 PM

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 26 2017, 11:06 PM 

i have just voted for "C" and more worryingly if we do not recruit wisely i fear we will be in a similar mess next season. we do have hope in young talent, coad , fisher and to a lesser extent waite and kohler cadmore are pushing for regular places. carver also has had his moments. i still hope lees can return to consistent form and an overseas batsman is essential. marsh is a solid pro who i think would do a good job.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 27 2017, 2:18 AM 

Well below expectations

I'm very disappointed with the general lack of fight and resolve shown in the County Championship. Granted the campaign was going to be tough, mainly because rival Counties have recruited far better than we have but the squad just look out of kilt and it is virtually the same squad that won the 2014 and 2015 titles. That time when Yorkshire lost half the starting eleven to an England tour of the West Indies and Gale being suspended, the remaining players showed resolve and character to come through a tricky April with a ten wicket win against Worcestershire, a hard fought draw against Notts and a dominating draw against Warwickshire. This laid the foundations for when the club regained player strength and form, resulting in a return to winning ways.

None of that resolve, courage and fight when under immense adversity has been shown this year. The #strongunit and #teamwork mantra, which was the forefront under Jason Gillespie went with him back to the Southern Hemisphere.

It's one thing Andrew Gale saying "work with what we've got" in response to not signing domestic players over the winter, but what work has he actually done to reverse the long term batting problem, other than refer out of form players to the two club psycologists? Not even making t20 finals day this year when having white ball England players avaialble throughout the tournament, along with two overseas signings further highlights the coaching qualities.

The hard work Jason Gillespie has done in making Yorkshire a strong force has been undone by sheer incompetence across the board. A full scale review by the powers that be needs to happen and action to be taken, before Division 2 cricket becomes an inevitability and more disappointing camapigns in white ball cricket become the norm.

This message has been edited by Pyrahtechnics on Sep 27, 2017 2:20 AM

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 27 2017, 7:38 AM 

I was just wondering whether those blaming Andrew Gale for this year's performances feel that Jason Gillespie underperformed badly in 2013 when Yorkshire arguably had the strongest squad in the CC but fell short by some distance.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 27 2017, 8:03 AM 

I'm not sure we'd have done much better with Dizzy in charge TBF. The batting was garbage last year and it's still our main failing

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 27 2017, 8:05 AM 

"Fell short by some distance" as in came second, and would have been top had the result against a Stokes-inspired Durham at Scarborough gone the other way?

We had a fairly new, inexperienced a side at that point but were clearly on the upswing: 2012 second Div Two, 2013 second Div One, 2014 you know the story... This season is the opposite story in my opinion, a case of unarrested decline.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 27 2017, 8:12 AM 

Dewsburian really? We'd just got promoted. The only game we had a shocker that season was the opening game against Sussex. If you call second place in our first season back up a failure then wow!

(Login Roundhegian)

September 27 2017, 8:15 AM 

The poll asks you to rate Yorkshire's actual performance in relation to expectation at the start of the season. Not "are you satisfied with the results".
Anyone who says "I'll give them F but it's what I expected" is contradicting themselves.
At the outset the batting was known to be weak and the bowlers ageing.
Yorkshire qualified from the group in the RL competition and unluckily missed out in the t20 despite having several crushing wins and the best net run rate in the group. In the CC we retained our d1 status. I thought we would be 6th and it looks like we will be 5th or 6th. So grade C for me.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 27 2017, 11:39 PM 

"Dewsburian really? We'd just got promoted."
Essex have just got promoted.

"We had a fairly new, inexperienced side at that point but were clearly on the upswing."
We had a team with Kane Williamson, Jonny Bairstow, Gary Ballance, Ryan Sidebottom, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Jack Brooks and Phil Jaques in it. I was just wondering whether, in retrospect, there weren't some posters who thought that should have been a winning combination.
In the match at Scarborough, Durham scored 573 with centuries from Stokes, Stoneman and Richardson. Yorkshire replied with 274.
I've no very strong opinion on the matter myself, but, in view of other comments, I was just wondering what people thought of the coach's role in that situation.

"'Fell short by some distance' as in came second".
Yorkshire with 7 wins to Durham's 10 came in 24.5 points behind after Durham received a 2.5 pts. deduction. There have been plenty of bigger margins in the championship, but it wasn't exactly a tight race after August 31.

But don't read too much into this. I was just exploring a different perspective.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk