<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ballance's Dismissal

September 26 2017 at 10:21 PM
Dewsburian  (Login Dewsburian)

I was quite surprised to see people arguing that Ballance shouldn't have been "backing up" today. Since I don't think I've ever met a cricket coach who argued that you shouldn't back up, I thought I'd take a look at some coaching books and see what they actually had to say. For some reason, the only one I could find that gives specific advice is very specific indeed:
"The non-striker should stand well wide of the return crease: he should hold his bat in his left hand (his right, if the bowler is bowling round the wicket) and, as the bowler delivers the ball but not before, should move a yard or a yard and a half down the pitch. He must always remember that his partner's run is as important as his own."
That's from the MCC Coaching Book published in April 1952 by The Naldrett Press of London, p. 102.
I can't currently get into the loft to see some of my more recent books (we have the decorators in), but I'd be interested if anyone has copies of Bradman or Bob Woolmer to see what they have to say.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Ballance's Dismissal

September 26 2017, 10:38 PM 

Not read everyones opinion on it but i personally said he shouldn't be 'OUT' backing up.
Surely the reason for holding the bat in your left hand is so you can get back if required. If you can't get back, you're too far down IMO of course.

(Login dpressed)

September 26 2017, 10:46 PM 

I wish you'd have put a different title on this thread. My immediate thought was that Yorks had sacked Gary as captain.

Run out backing up is bad luck. Typical of our 2017.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 27 2017, 7:03 AM 

Agree it's just unlucky and something that happens.

The opposite argument could be that if you don't back up a yard or two after every ball then how many runs do you not get for fear of being a hard or two short for quick singles and how many times does the non striker get run out at the keepers end by a hard or so?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 27 2017, 7:50 AM 

Not backing up is a bigger sin than being run out backing up.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 27 2017, 12:02 PM 

I said at the time that Ballance was unlucky.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk