<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ashes squad

September 27 2017 at 9:29 AM
Brian  (Login NewBrian)

Allegedly leaked ahead of announcement

Joe Root, Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, Dawid Malan, Gary Ballance, James Vice, Moeen Ali, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Jake Ball, Craig Overton.

Plus of course a strong Lions squad.
No Mark Wood or Rashid and can we assume the Stokes selection means, whatever his other problems, he doesn't have a broken hand as suggested in a national scandal sheet today?

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Sep 27, 2017 9:36 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Ashes squad

September 27 2017, 9:38 AM 

In the light of recent incidents, I wonder if the inclusion of vice in the squad would be wise !

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: Ashes squad

September 27 2017, 9:39 AM 

Sorry, Freudian slip - by Jonathan Agnew not me.
He might be the Vince captain now though.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 27 2017, 9:51 AM 

The squad doesn't come as a huge surprise, though Vince has almost been brought in as a horses for courses selection. Average season, very average test record but considered a good bet in Australian conditions.

I still find it hard to fathom why Crane is there. Yes, he played grade cricket and ended up being selected for the state side (largely because about five other spinners were unavailable mind you), but I would love to see how Rashid fares in Australian conditions (he has been hugely successful in the Big Bash -different game I know), rather than having played all of his Test cricket on slow pitches against the best players of spin. Root must have put his foot down (as he presumably did with his old mate Ballance)

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 27 2017, 10:40 AM 

Stokes apparently does have a fracture but has been picked anyway.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 27 2017, 10:50 AM 

So that confirms that he did slap someone, or did he punch the taxi door?! I have no problem with drinking into the early hours as long as it doesn't impinge on cricket. But surely a professional sportsman, with all the provocations, should be able to control themselves. Just walk away if trouble is brewing.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 27 2017, 10:53 AM 

The journalists today are stating that it is a big shock that Stokes is in the side. I can not see why, as the side should be picked on ability and nothing else.

Whether he plays or not is a different matter, as some court cases may be due while he is away, so he may have to be back in England for a while, and could be serving "time" at some point IF found guilty.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 27, 2017 10:56 AM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 27 2017, 10:55 AM 

WE all know there are weak spots, but that's true of Australia too and I think England could do much better than some expect, given luck with fitness.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 27 2017, 11:19 AM 

The journalists today are stating that it is a big shock that Stokes is in the side. I can not see why, as the side should be picked on ability and nothing else.

sorry Stu, buts thats ridiculous....what about cheats? should they still play?

what about convicted thieves? paedophiles? who have served their time?

Stokes, could quite legitamately be refused a visa

Sportsmen, especially those representing their country abroad have to behave themselves.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 27 2017, 11:23 AM 

Even though Ballance is one of our own don't think his form merits inclusion.

Its very likely that he will fail a second time for England

but Liam has every right to feel disappointed.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 27 2017, 11:29 AM 

Blackpool Tyke ----

That is what I said. The team should be picked on merit, but that does not mean he will play. He may be refused a visa, have to be in England for court cases or even serving "time" IF found guilty.

At the moment, at the time of selection he is not guilty of anything, so the side is picked on merit.

What happens subsequently can be dealt with then, it may mean he does not travel to Australia with the squad, but you can not pre-judge anything.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 27 2017, 12:01 PM 

Disappointed Plunkett and Rashid are not selected as they are suited to Aussie conditions, whereas Balllance is not. Crane just going for ride and also Foakes - both are very fortunate to be included. If Stokes cannot go, it will be a very weak Ashes squad.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 27 2017, 12:02 PM 

I quite like this squad.

I can see the argument for Vince: although he didn't make the most of the starts he made first time round, at least he looked up to facing Test standard bowling and generally did make starts, which is more than can be said for some who have followed him (Westley, Jennings). I'm not convinced by Malan but he at least has battled well to make runs on a couple of occasions so I can see why they've picked him. Ballance's form seems to have gone backwards again, but he may get a chance in the middle order role that better suits him. Pleased Foakes is included ahead of Buttler- how is he lucky to be included when he's made far more runs than any other keeper this year and is also tidy with the gloves from all reports?

On the bowlers, I think Overton looks a good pick, but I agree with the above re Crane; if Moeen pulls up on the morning of a Test is he really who you want to be bringing in? Surely he would be better off actually getting some overs under his belt with the Lions; Leach or Rashid for me. Wood too fragile to be relied on.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 27, 2017 12:04 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 27 2017, 12:59 PM 

If you have to pick a squad based on those without a criminal record the Aussies might have struggled a few times in the past as well.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 27 2017, 3:26 PM 

ah yes, innocent till proven guilty.....

....well m'lud me and my mate alex were have a quiet nightcap like you do, when suddenly out of nowhere this bloke headbutted my fist and caused me to break my hand.

there are times when that principal just does not stand.....if you have a prosecution pending you will not be given an esta for entry to the USA....dunno about oz.

if you are a police officer and get arrested you are automatically suspended

michael barrymore's (remember him) career was destroyed after he was arrested even though he was not even charged.

Samson just last week was sacked for earlier indiscretions without even being arrested.

question: what would happen to Joe Root if he punched Andrew Strauss? or what would happen to Andrew Strauss if he punched yjb?

just because this was in a nightclub and the victim was not associated with england makes no difference, a punch is a punch and people have received lengthy jail sentences because of the consequences of their actions.

He is a role model for many youngsters and should be suspended from the england set up for a number of years otherwise you will have 'Stokes did it, so it must be ok'

one can let off steam without using violence.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 27 2017, 3:38 PM 

And there is such a defence as self defence if threatened or provoked.

Let's see how it plays out before hanging him.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 27 2017, 4:04 PM 

"Stokes, could quite legitamately (sic) be refused a visa"

If he was to be convicted that would be a plus point in Australia, wouldn't it? Apart from the sledging by Warner of course.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 27 2017, 4:24 PM 

Don't usually like to speculate but eye witness reports I've read have told of a man brandishing a bottle/glass in Stokes' direction.
Of course, if correct, he could've just stood there and let the man attack him with broken glass and thought to himself "I'm a role model I mustn't do anything here but let this man attack me" or he might have taken another course of action. Am sure we'll find out in due course.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 27 2017, 4:31 PM 

And there is such a defence as self defence if threatened or provoked.

no there isn't.

if someone says to you i am going to hit you and you hit him first, that is not a defence
if someone says you smell (provocation) that is no defence for abh.

what if with the ashes at stake, needing 2 runs to win and only 1 wicket left, the umpire makes an appalling decision and gives stokes out...is it now ok for him to punch the umpire?....after all he was provoked and all replays show that he clearly was not out.

Grown men can kill with their bare hands, thats why they learn (or should learn) from a young age restraint. More so, if you are representing your country.

THERE IS NEVER AN EXCUSE FOR ASSAULTING SOMEONE CAUSING ABH.

end of.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 27 2017, 4:35 PM 

You are actually saying here that if someone attacks you with a glass/bottle you should just accept it..........that's quite remarkable.

"what if with the ashes at stake, needing 2 runs to win and only 1 wicket left, the umpire makes an appalling decision and gives stokes out...is it now ok for him to punch the umpire?....after all he was provoked and all replays show that he clearly was not out."
surely in this instance you'd just refer it to the 3rd umpire?

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Sep 27, 2017 4:37 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk