<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Ashes squad

September 28 2017, 11:47 AM 

So, if it's true he lamped this bloke because he was, firstly, hurling homophobic abuse at two men and secondly then started wheeling a bottle around then all credit to Stokes for teaching him a lesson I say.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 28 2017, 12:03 PM 

ah so, he should go into the den of the world champion sledgers and while fielding on the boundary if someone in the crowd taunts him, its ok for him to 'go teach him a lesson'

all professional sportsmen get sledged, its part of being a professional sportsman, just glad i can post annonymously on here and hope that stokes never finds my address or he might come and 'teach me a lesson'

KICK THE YOBS OUT OF THE GAME

September 28 2017, 12:40 PM 

"KICK THE YOBS OUT OF THE GAME"

So you despise violence yet now you're advocating kicking people? make your mind up! wink.gif

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 28 2017, 12:53 PM 

>> So, if it's true he lamped this bloke because he was, firstly, hurling homophobic abuse at two men and secondly then started wheeling a bottle around then all credit to Stokes for teaching him a lesson I say.

Your first point is irrelevant IMHO and doesn't justify the use of violence, let alone the degree. Your second point might justify self-defence, but as previously mentioned, Stokes went way beyond that.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2017, 2:52 PM 

Back to the original topic.

From cricinfo

England's debutant batsmen* since September 2012

Joe Root 60 Tests at 53.76
Haseeb Hameed 3 Tests at 43.80
Gary Ballance 23 Tests at 37.45
Jos Buttler 18 Tests at 31.36
Sam Robson 7 Tests at 30.54
Mark Stoneman 3 Tests at 30.00
Nick Compton 16 Tests at 28.70
Alex Hales 11 Tests at 27.28
Keaton Jennings 6 Tests at 24.50
Tom Westley 5 Tests at 24.12
Adam Lyth 7 Tests at 20.38
James Vince 7 Tests at 19.27
Ben Duckett 4 Tests at 15.71

Hameed is injured, so GB has the next best average after Joe!! Maybe he does deserve to be in the squad. It will be interesting to compare his average batting at 5, as opposed to his average batting at 3. IMO, if he plays at 5, he will be a success with England, and there could well now be a vacancy there, with Stokes perhaps missing.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 28, 2017 2:54 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 28 2017, 3:00 PM 

Assume Stokes would be replaced with a bowler if it comes to it. Bairstow to 6, Ali 7, Woakes 8 and then probably Overton at 9?

September 28 2017, 3:10 PM 

Gary averages 46 when batting at 3, a position where he has scored all 4 of his test centuries from and 25 when batting at 5.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 28 2017, 3:25 PM 

Thanks EYT. The exact opposite to what I percieved.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 28, 2017 3:25 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 28 2017, 3:36 PM 

I don't think his batting position has necessarily been a factor to date.
Isn't it just a case of Ballance having faced stronger attacks as his international career has gone on, who have been able to expose techincal deficiencies that may not have been as readily targeted as an 'unknown'.

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 1 2017, 11:47 AM 

Yes, the above is definitely true.

The 8 innings in which he has batted number 5 have been against either Australia or Pakistan; the 29 innings in which he has batted three have been against Sri Lanka, India, West Indies, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, with all of his 4 centuries and all but one of his 10 fifties coming against the weaker attacks of the first three opponents (SL, India, WI).

That's where the real difference is: Ballance averages over 65 against each of India, Sri Lanka and West Indies, but below 30 against each of Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan. He's yet to prove himself to be something other than a flat track (or rather weak opponent) bully.

Martin A
(Login hit_amidships)

October 4 2017, 8:54 AM 

Sky News Newsdesk‏Verified account
@SkyNewsBreak
Following
More
29-year-old man charged with the murder of a 24-year-old man and attempted murder of another man after a fight in Manchester on Saturday

The above (taken from Twitter) doesn't directly relate to cricket - but when I saw it I immediately thought of the Stokes saga and why it has to be dealt with very seriously. It's not a huge leap to suggest (especially based on the video evidence) that Stokes could have killed that guy. All it takes is for him to fall badly and hit his head in a certain place and all of a sudden he's looking at a murder charge.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk