<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

Re: Time for Coaching set up to go?

September 28 2017, 9:41 PM 

I was fortunate enough to be holidaying at the same hotel as tom moody and kumar sangakarra (along with the rest of the Jamaican and st lucian t20 teams)

I spoke briefly to tom moody and although I'm no selector or board member he was genuinely so enthusiastic about cricket and asking me about Yorkshire etc, he had the time for everybody who was willing to talk cricket

He mentioned he was doing abit of t20 coaching but nothing permanent. He's coached at international level and was a top player both white and red ball.

Personally we could do a lot worse. He was far more likely to inspire and excite me than gale ever would

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 28 2017, 11:33 PM 

"Sorry, are you suggesting Rhodes should have played instead of Bresnan, but no room for Carver, or that another seamer should have dropped out too?

I'd have picked Bresnan ahead of Rhodes."

No, I am suggesting if the think tank are going to drop a genuine all arounder in Tim Bresnan, then replace him with an all rounder whether that would be Will Rhodes or Matt Waite. If Gale wanted to play a spinner, then replace one of the four seam bowlers.

Instead the think tank took a risky approach in weakening the already vulnerable batting so much that the lower order began at 6, in order to accommodate the bowling attack. Lessons were not learnt at Lord's when the batting was weakened by replacing Bresnan who went on paternity leave with a bowler.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 29 2017, 12:14 AM 

just been reading the middlesex till we die forum. obviously filled with angst and misery. several themes mirror our own board,.The coach angus fraser is useless and must go. half the team are useless and must go. the one player we did let go, Gareth Berg relegated us with a defiant rearguard action for hampshire. the ridiculous scheduling of the championship to the monsoon season is part of the ecb conspiracy. arrowgate is an ecb conspiracy. 25% of the league being relegated is part of an ecb conspiracy. the fact there is only a hand full of points between 3rd and 7th means we were incredibly unlucky and we will come back stronger. i half expected this diatribe to be signed by some our regular contributors. no names supplied.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 29 2017, 8:00 AM 

Can't see why Pyrah gets included in the criticism. The one success of the season -- Ben Coad -- has been attributed by Ben himself to the work that Pyrah put in with him over the winter. Pyrah's not in charge, but doing his job just fine by the sound of it.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 29 2017, 8:11 AM 

Marsker --- Would not expect anything else from other fans forums. I am sure all fans at all counties feel as passionately as us if their team performs badly. I also read several other teams forums, and, IMO, we are one of the more restrained ones.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 29 2017, 8:38 AM 

It's hard to see where it went wrong for Middlesex this season.

Losing TRJ to England may have had an impact but then they got more of Finn as a result. They are like us with a pair of openers made up of an England reject (robson/lyth)and an England hopeful at the start of the season (gubbins/lees).

Then they have a middle order batsman on the England radar (balance/malan) and a decent seam attack like us. Franklin might be there Bresnan as a decent enough all rounder.

But I would have thought their keeper was going to get more runs if they had more stability with overseas players so where has it gone wrong so soon?

I suspect cricket is a game of fine margins more than most sports and the luck you had last season with a win against the odds, the rain saving you from defeat, the opposition missing five players away with England , injuries, that dodgy umpire who always gives you out lbw as he hated playing against you 20 years ago.... suddenly turns full circle the year after. A stray arrow, a narrow win, a slow over rate, a batsman struggling for form.

Mind you if they have gone down due to a slow over rate they planned to catch up in a final season that got curtailed then it edged them right.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 29 2017, 9:46 AM 

A pretty honest assessment from Gale but not much acknowledgement of his part in events. In someways, the abject performance against Essex may be a blessing in disguise as there was no masking it with excuses, it was a clear portrayal of how much we've regressed.

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/cricket/15563927.Gale_vows_to_reverse_downward_Yorkshire_spiral/

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 29 2017, 9:47 AM 

Agree that Richard Pyrah nor Ian Dews are the problem. The buck rests with the overall Director and the Chief Coach and Club Management. Nothing is likely to.change with the current set up because they are ingrained with their own stereotyped thinking.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 29 2017, 9:57 AM 

Wonder if Gale has a gander on here..

Absolutely seething at the cheap option line 😂😂.

Pretty obvious he appears to believe it's anyones fault but his own.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 29 2017, 9:59 AM 

Yes, I loved that line: "I won't be walking away from this club. I've heard lots of stuff about how Andrew Gale's the cheap option. Let me tell you, I'm not."

Oh well, that's alright then! Rubbish AND expensive happy.gif

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 29 2017, 10:00 AM 

He seems to take no responsibility for anything, blaming anyone & everybody but himself for the mess we are in

(Login WithoutaDream)

September 29 2017, 10:07 AM 

That statement is a car crash and I can't see how Gale remaining in post is a viable option. It's always tricky for players to step up into coaching roles but it's obvious he has no faith in the players and the players have none in him.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 29 2017, 10:12 AM 

The reality is that if we were to look for a new head coach now, the likelihood is that we would be looking at someone who is occupying a similar position to Pyrah at another club. This may well be someone in the second division who is well thought of even if the team they work for isn't necessarily performing. It doesn't follow that because our season has been a disaster, everyone connected with it are somehow to blame. He may be to blame of course but don't assume it! (and the idea that the best cricketers make the best coaches is rarely the case - I suspect because average players have more insight into making the best of your abilities rather than relying purely on talent.

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

September 29 2017, 10:17 AM 

At the very least we need to refocus on our batting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/teams/yorkshire/averages

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 29 2017, 10:33 AM 

Fair play to gale a lot of the senior players have been shielded from criticism but they deserved that public bashing and a hell of a lot more as well. Regardless of form you can still knuckle down and show some fight.

If we can get two new solid batsmen in then perhaps the Essex games will be looked back on as a turning point for us. At least he's publicly acknowledged the problem, I don't honestly think they cannot strengthen after what he's said and what happened.

I certainly think leaning, lees and to a lesser extent lyth are all in danger of not being in the first 11 come April.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 29 2017, 10:56 AM 

Leaning's average was significantly higher than Lyth's this season, and he's hardly a senior player. One to work with, I think.

Gale says: "I just want honesty from the players, that's the main thing. I want to know 'why's this been happening?'."
However, if as some claim, the dressing room is split, he won't get honesty no matter how many times he asks.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 29 2017, 11:23 AM 

The averages are an interesting read.

Big fuss over Sangakarra averaging over 100 but our overseas did too!

And the blokes averaging 11 and 4 respectively need sacking.... oh hang on it's Root and Bairstow.

Rafiqs bowling average confirms our doubts.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 29 2017, 11:37 AM 

The averages make pretty dire reading for our more established batsmen, it's simply not good enough and they have been consistently under-performing all season and a continuation from the previous one. I think paulyorks, you make a good point in regard to how honest or transparent can our senior players truly be, 'if' Gale (who is in essence their boss) is actually part of the problem. However this does not excuses some of their poor and half-arsed efforts at the crease.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 29 2017, 11:59 AM 

Let's face it - Gale was hardly worth his place as batsman or captain and he should never have been appointed as team coach. The communication he has posted on the website is typical - nothing meaningful for weeks, but now all about self preservation. Instead of the triumvirate deciding about the future, there should be an independent assessment of their particular capabilities. Complacency is the word which comes to mind, as it has done throughout the season with team selections and performances.

ed the fed
(Login edthefed)

September 29 2017, 12:21 PM 

Gale wants honesty

Let honesty begin at home .....questions for them to consider

Are Gale and Pyrah good enough and do they have the right skills
If Gale thinks he was let down by senior players...what did he do to put it right
Batting been a problem for 2 or 3 years....what have Gale and Moxon done about it
Do you really have the support of the dressing room
Why have all these senior players all lost form at the same time
Why if it is the players fault are you so keen on keeping hold of them

Common diversionary tactic when your under performing, blame everybody else !!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk