<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Captain for 2018

September 27 2017 at 9:59 PM
sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

If GB succeeds during the Ashes and establishes himself in the test team, and I think he will, it's hard to see how he could continue as our championship captain.

I cant think of anyone from the current squad I'd be happy to do the job.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JG
(Login _JG_)

Re: Captain for 2018

September 27 2017, 10:50 PM 

It would be a really tricky one. Naturally you think of the batsmen first, but Lyth clearly isn't captaincy material and none of the others are nailed-on selections; a couple of years ago Lees seemed the likely successor but he surely needs to focus on sorting out his own game at the moment. Of the bowlers, I don't much like Bresnan as captain, and the others are all either too inexperienced or again not sure of their place in the side. I'm stumped too.

Theboyem
(Login theboyem)

September 28 2017, 12:40 AM 

Given the lack of international action for New Zealand between the beginning of April and October next year i’d be moving heaven and earth to get Kane Williamson back for a full season. Leave Ballance as captain but if he is away with England then bingo, you’ve got your ready made replacement as well.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 28 2017, 1:38 AM 

Only available player in the Yorkshire squad who is captaincy material is Azeem Rafiq. His forward thinking approach in the 2012 Friends Life Twenty20 and the positive aura created in the middle is half the reason why Yorkshire reached Finals Day. Rafiq's interpersonal skills with players ranging from a variety of experiences - from the youthful Moin Ashraf, the overseas internationals of Mitchell Starc and David Miller to the elder stalwart in Richard Pyrah galvanised the team and mutual respect was gained instantly.

It is also worth mentioning when Karl Carver went for six sixes off that Ross Whiteley over, Rafa was the first man to approach Carver and give him reassuring words, a prime example of natural leadership. I am confident Yorkshire will be a force in white ball if Rafiq was given the reins in the white ball competitions, where Yorkshire field two spinners regardless.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 28 2017, 7:45 AM 

And red ball cricket?

Rafiq ain't gonna make the team next year by some margin.

With no obvious candidate I'm just praying we don't try and do what we did a few years ago with Chris Adams and think the answer is to bring an outsider in but having said that if we ditch the overseas route and identify a Kolpak for a three year contract who can skipper us it might not be a bad outcome. Rudolph a few years ago would have been perfect. Any dec by South African batsmen looking to jump ship?

I see Jarvis has gone back to Zimbabwe to resurrect his international career. So much for his kolpak status at Lancashire then...

Or was he the official overseas player? McLaren Vilas Chanderpaul... it's hard to know

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk