<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ryan Sidebottom

September 28 2017 at 6:36 PM
Phil  (Login ExiledinNotts)

After yesterday's shambles it seems we have forgotten to bid Ryan all the best in his retirement. One of my favourite ever YCCC players of all time. My favourite moment will be the 4 days at Trent Bridge back in 2014 when his figures were something like 9-90. Enjoy your retirement Ryan you'll be a difficult act to follow.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Ryan Sidebottom

September 28 2017, 7:48 PM 

thanks for the memories Siddy. a fantastic bowler especially with the new ball. nobody snatched their sweater from the umpire and strutted off to fine leg in righteous indignation after a rejected appeal quite like ryan.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 28 2017, 8:36 PM 

And we'll miss the bromance with Jack Brooks.

For me a highlight of the three glorious years 2014-2016 was the delight of seeing you and Brooks-y relishing each other's wickets, and charging down the pitch, across the outfield, and almost into outer space to celebrate with an ecstatic hug

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 29 2017, 8:55 AM 

We've referenced a few song lyrics this week and the one that's most appropriate here is

Please don't go, don't go away....

If ever we needed a leader, a talisman and someone to look up to it's now.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Future role or not

September 29 2017, 9:38 AM 

JollyD in another thread suggests Yorkshire should add both a batting and bowling coach to the staff.

I agree it would be a good idea if the right candidates could be found.

Would it be sensible to even consider Ryan as a bowling coach, if he was interested in being one of course, or do we need an outside pair of eyes.

Many Gale bashers think we should have looked outside the club for a first team coach, sighting his closeness to the squad.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 29 2017, 10:12 AM 

Ryan has wider experience from both Notts and England which Gale lacks. He's qualified as a coach I think already he has his old man to tap in to who knows a bit about coaching bowlers

(Login matthefish2002)

September 29 2017, 10:17 AM 

Looks like Ryan Sidebottom is going to be the bowling coach next season.
If he is a qualified coach and wants to go into this seriously then it would be madness not to use his skill and experience to pass on to other players.
As long as he is serious about this and not just giving an popular ex player a job.
Does feel like in some ways though we need a pair of fresh eyes who has not been in the inner circle of YCCC in the last few years.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 29 2017, 12:14 PM 

Yes, I can't be bothered to go back and see whether any individual is actually being inconsistent, but as a collective we are. Gale apparently illustrates the dangers of an internal appointment, but now we are backing Ryan for the same sort of transition. Personally, nevertheless, if he is serious about a career in coaching, I'd grab him at once.

These appointments and their qualities are a nightmare to judge. The instance of 'jobs for the boys' I was most critical of at the time was Mags hanging around 'mentoring' vaguely. But he's looking a pretty shrewd appointment for Essex.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 29 2017, 12:36 PM 

As a rule of thumb i think it's best not to recruit straight from playing to coaching or managing. I don't think there's sufficient distance to go to straight being a coach from a player. Best they cut their teeth elsewhere first.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 1 2017, 11:39 AM 

There's a picture doing the rounds on social media of what I suspect was an end of season do combined with Ryan's farewell.

Looks like they did the Otley Road run (pub crawl of a dozen or so pubs) with a fancy dress theme of superheroes.

Ryan turned up looking like a gladiator whilst the other 20 turned up all dressed as Ryan Sidebottom....

It's hard to tell who is and isn't on the picture but it certainly looks like the team were bonding well and enjoying some down time. I don't recall any police reported about "Ryan" being arrested at 2.30 am and A&E had no reports of any one needing medical attention for broken bones in their hands

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

October 1 2017, 12:41 PM 

Wonder if there is a difference when recruiting technical coaches from within. A very clear role for Ryan improving our seam attack but no role in selection or team discipline. Knowing a players strengths and weaknesses having played with them.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk