<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

BREAKING | Gale won't quit...gets club's supprt

September 29 2017 at 12:19 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

"ANDREW GALE has said that he will not quit as Yorkshire first-team coach and blamed senior players
for the club’s poor season." - CHRIS WATERS

Yorkshire Post
Club supports Gale
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Withoutadream
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Re: BREAKING | Gale won't quit...gets club's supprt

September 29 2017, 12:22 PM 

I have a fairly simple theory on team sports, if a few players are performing poorly its on them, if almost everyone is under-performing then its the coach. It's staggering to me that neither Gale or Moxon take any responsibility for that season.
""

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 29 2017, 12:26 PM 

The "Press" article on the same subject.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire/15563938.Gale_vows_to_reverse_downward_Yorkshire_spiral/?ref=mac

The fans get a mention.

".....Yet Gale has not escaped criticism from the club's fanbase either.

After this week's final-round horror show against new champions Essex at Chelmsford, in which they were bowled out for 111 and 74 and beaten by a record 376 runs, there were calls for him to resign following just one season in charge.

However, that will not be happening, vowed the former title-winning captain.

Gale said: "People can say what they want. I've always been up for a challenge. I love this club and still believe in the group of players.

"I won't be walking away from this club. I've heard lots of stuff about how Andrew Gale's the cheap option. Let me tell you, I'm not......."

Eastyorkshiretyke
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 29 2017, 12:28 PM 

If he only has a 12 month contract then the decision could be taken for him. Do we lose a coach or perhaps a few of the players who don't appear to want to play for him
""

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 29 2017, 12:33 PM 

My mistake he signed a 3 year deal on 14/10/2016. The question that still springs to mind was a comment made by MM he stated last year there was 16 applicants for the position with some extremely good candidates in among the list. Who were the 16 ?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 29 2017, 12:52 PM 

If there were 16 applicants, and Andrew was the best option, it does not say much for the other candidates.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 29 2017, 12:59 PM 

If it is true there were 16 applicants, including some very good ones, how on earth was it decided to appoint the outgoing captain? In addition, surely offering a three year contract to someone without any track record of coaching a top team seems quite bizarre.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 29 2017, 1:03 PM 

Gale does have a point. Did the senior players forget how to play just because their beloved Dizzy has gone? Doesn't say much for them as individuals if so.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 29 2017, 1:05 PM 

Likewise, it'd be interesting, if there were 15 others, who they were.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 29 2017, 1:09 PM 

This is the extract from the Offical site on announcing Gales appoints MM's words.

“We have gone through a rigorous process and looked at all the options that were available to us.

“We had 16 applicants for the job with some extremely good candidates in among that list. But at the end of the day, for what I believe we need, Galey was the obvious choice. He is highly qualified in the way that he has led the team as Captain over the past seven years and has expertise that we didn’t want to lose at the Club.

“I think the role now has got two parts to it. In the short-term, we need someone who can manage the First XI which is, in Championship cricket, a pretty senior group. I think it’s important that we keep that continuity within the group and protect the environment that we’ve created, one that has been so successful for us.

Here's the bit visa vie the length of his contract

The Yorkshire County Cricket Club are delighted to announce the appointment of Andrew Gale as the Club’s new First XI Coach.

Gale, who captained the White Rose to back-to-back County Championships in 2014 and 2015, has subsequently retired from playing, concluding the batsman’s illustrious First Class playing career at Headingley.

The 32-year-old has signed an initial three-year contract and Director of Cricket Martyn Moxon believes that Gale is the right man to continue driving the team forward.

This message has been edited by ExiledinNotts on Sep 29, 2017 1:11 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 29 2017, 1:36 PM 

16 applicants from where? The Bradford leagues. I think Gale must be a regular visitor on this forum, he may even have a pseudonym wink.gif

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 29 2017, 1:38 PM 

Seadog, I would say that Dizzy left because the players were already not performing (or were simply away with England). This season has seen a deepening of shortcomings that emerged in 2015.

Senior players clearly to blame to significant degree. But, OK, what now? And, surely Andrew accepted some of the blame himself too. Has he?

(Login twelthman)

September 29 2017, 1:45 PM 

"I've heard lots of stuff about how Andrew Gale's the cheap option. Let me tell you, I'm not......."

My reply to this would be if he's not the "cheap option" then surely he's being paid way over what he's worth.

(Login Irving08)

September 29 2017, 1:52 PM 

It is never a good idea to wear sunglasses when the sun is not shining. It sends out the wrong message. (A propos the final afternoon of the Warwicks game)

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 29 2017, 2:08 PM 

In response to Jay's suggestion above, can I be the first to say....

'I am Andrew Gale'.

Big Rich
(Login Newyorkie)

September 29 2017, 2:12 PM 

I'm Andrew Gale, and so is my wife!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 29 2017, 2:20 PM 

Andrew 'Spartacus' Gale is quite right not to quit after a first season in which Yorkshire finished fourth.
Let's see how things look next year after close-season changes.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 29 2017, 3:15 PM 

Saved from relegation by Patto and Fisher when all seemed lost. Hardly a plus point for retention of Gale. We were very fortunate.

(Login Irving08)

September 29 2017, 4:04 PM 

'We made progress in T20'. Yes, there were several outstanding batting performances and some memorable spells of tight bowling. But we did not get out of the group. The overall standard of the competition may have been higher than in previous years. But on paper we had one of the strongest T20 teams/squads including two members of the England T20 team for all matches and one further member for a couple of games at the end. I saw and thoroughly enjoyed along with thousands of others the home games. One thing I did notice was a certain inflexibility in the order of batting. On several occasions excellent starts were followed by somewhat stodgy batting at numbers three and four. We seemed slow to react and to try something different. I don't know whether this is down to the captain or the coach, but it should have been addressed. We also seemed to lose most of the close games. Overall I was disappointed by the outcome of our T20 adventure. It could and should have been better with the talent at our disposal. This competition is now central to the club's financial and cricketing health and success is vital if we are to maintain the allegiance of the many newcomers to the game in the face of competition from the impending ECB T20 enterprise. The club's ambition should be to become the best T20 team in the land. I would expect any coach's job specification going forward to include clear achievement goals in T20.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 29 2017, 4:08 PM 

Irving --- we lost everyone of the close games, and we did not win away from home.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk