<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login Irving08)

Re: BREAKING | Gale won't quit...gets club's supprt

September 29 2017, 5:14 PM 

Thank you for reminding me ! (I didn't want to come over as hyper-critical.)

(Login dpressed)

September 29 2017, 5:31 PM 

"I am giving Andrew Gale my 100 percent backing,” said Director of Cricket Martyn Moxon. “Andrew’s appointment was a long-term measure."

So based on most sports Gale will be gone by the end of next week!!!

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 29 2017, 5:32 PM 

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, we may have lost the close T20 games but we tended to win the close CC games. For which we were also criticised in some quarters...

Alandale
(Login Alandale)

Contrast and comparison

September 29 2017, 5:40 PM 

“It's staggering to me that neither Gale or Moxon take any responsibility for that season.’

There is both a point of contrast and comparison with what happened at the end of the 201 season when Yorkshire were last relegated.

The contrast: Three coaches were not appointed for the following season - by implication they were obliged to accept responsibility for a year of failure

The comparison: The Director of Cricket remained in situ and behaved as if he were in no degree responsible

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 30 2017, 7:44 AM 

It is hardly surprising that Moxon supports Gale as he must have been largely responsible for his appointment as "coach" and will realise that if Gale is sacked then he should go too,. Gale's article is no more than a pre-emptive strike to threaten the Club and the idea that the "review" of this season's disasters should involve Moxon and himself is just an act of desperate self preservation.
It is vital we retain our up and coming young players and some more experienced ones and improving team morale is paramount.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Minimum 2 years

September 30 2017, 8:54 AM 

The sport was rugby league but a wise old Aussie coach was talking about the need to give a coach at least 2 years to see if they are likely to be successful.

Football and Rugby are very different to cricket obviously as most coaches try to sign a large number of players they like when they come in to a new club, thankfully this doesn't happen too much in cricket.

I think the 2 year rule is a good one though, especially in a sport where the champions one year can end up being relegated the next.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 30 2017, 10:21 AM 

One of the beauties of cricket is that the game isn't dominated by the same four teams every year and to some extent anyone can beat anyone on their day. Hence Essex come up and win div 1 and hence Middlesex win div 1 and Then go down.

There's a lot of luck with scheduling and player availability that doesn't happen in other sports and a small league of eight gives luck a bigger input to the table. Plus weather affects games unlike other sports.

I'm not trying to say Essex we're lucky to win and Warwickshire unlucky to go down as they were clearly the best and worst teams respectively. But look where Surrey ended up and how many did they win and look at the points difference between 4th and 7th.

So I'd not judge a coach or team performance purely on final position. Our disappointment comes from the manner we played the game, our selections, our overseas player signings and I sense a lack of pride and passion and desire towards the end which I haven't seen for a long time. That's down to the culture and atmosphere created by the management and coach in my view.

Opening stand
(Login Openingstand)

A silver lining for MM?

September 30 2017, 11:32 AM 

It is not difficult to imagine Boycott’s pointed comments on the team’s lack of dedication - should he have been appointed to the Board. At least, MM will not get these….

It is a sign of times that it has now become a moot question: Which is better, Boycott not on the Board and MM escaping the tongue-lashing - or - GB in attendance and MM no longer either on the Board nor the staff…

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 30 2017, 12:25 PM 

From BBC Sport

------

"Samit Patel says coach Peter Moores and his staff deserve all the plaudits for Nottinghamshire's successful season.

Notts were promoted to Division One of the Championship to go with their One-Day Cup and T20 Blast trophy successes.

All-rounder Patel told BBC Nottingham: "You have to give the backroom staff credit, the work they do is remarkable.

"Peter Moores and his backroom team - I don't think I have ever worked with better coaches. The energy he gives off to each individual is fantastic."

------

When a team is successful, it is down to the coaches, when they have been un-successful, it is blamed on the players. Interesting thoughts!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 30, 2017 12:34 PM

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 30 2017, 2:17 PM 

By way of comparison, does anyone know if Richard Scott & Angus Fraser are under similar pressure/scrutiny as they took last year's champions down to division 2? Or even Troughton & Giles at Warwickshire? (Genuine question by the way, I've no idea if any of them are or not)

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 1 2017, 1:04 PM 

I think those situations are a bit different: Giles is fairly new to post in Warks and is re-building a squad which has arguably previously been mismanaged and allowed to grow old together, with very little fresh blood. I think they see this as a long-term job. Middlesex have had an even worse season than us with dreadful T20 and RL50 performances too, but I guess Fraser has credit in the bank from previous successes, which Gale doesn't.

Another example perhaps worth considering: Paul Grayson was in charge of an Essex side which, despite clearly having talented players, could only languish in Division Two from 2011-2015. Essex replaced him with Silverwood for the start of the 2016 season, with results changing immediately: they won Division Two in Silverwood's first season in charge and followed that up with the Division One title this year. More or less the same players, different coaches, very different results.

I think Yorkshire would be bordering on the negligent to retain Moxon, Gale and the current set-up and expect different results next season. I don't take any confidence in Gale's comments in interview- 'blaming the senior players' is hardly a productive stance to take, especially when he then suggests there will be minimal personnel changes- and I'm not convinced they have any sort of plan to turn the situation around.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Oct 1, 2017 2:27 PM

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

October 1 2017, 2:33 PM 

>> More or less the same players, different coaches, very different results.

Not entirely fair: none of the bowling attack that destroyed us the other day was playing for Essex in 2015, with the exception of Porter who was only 22 back then and pretty green. But I take your wider point happy.gif

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 1 2017, 2:40 PM 

True, but the (seam) bowling was never really Essex's problem, with the excellent Masters and Napier taking over 100 wickets between them last season before retiring. Silverwood and Essex have shown excellent succession planning by identifying and bringing through Porter and latterly Cook as well targeting overseas seam bowlers in order to fill this void, whilst also recognising their weakness in the spin department and targeting a Kolpak signing to address this.

We have similar issues with our fast bowlers aging, a lack of quality spin options in Rashid's absence and fragile top order batting; will we take similar actions to address this?

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

October 1 2017, 3:22 PM 

Yes, all fair points. Interesting that Topley, who was considered the up-and-coming star of the seam attack, left Essex for Hants in 2015. Of course he's not had much luck with injuries since then, so it's hard to assess whether or not that was a good move.

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 1 2017, 4:31 PM 

They lost quite a few players in the last few years of Grayson's reign: Topley, Foakes, Wheater and Mills following the likes of Chopra and Wright a few years earlier. Interestingly under Silverwood a couple of those have been welcomed back in Wheater and Chopra.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

October 1 2017, 4:47 PM 

It seems that Gale and Moxon are totally complacent with no plans for improvement, just more of the same and if results do not come then it is the fault of the players, they will be blameless and their positions should not be challenged. That is unacceptable and is the kind of arrogance that has got us into this situation. If the responsibility for the mess is not clear to the Club's hierarchy then we will be doomed again to be CC relegation candidates, without OD success and probable loss of best younger players.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk