<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login WhiteroseDave)

Re: Middlesex seek ECB hearing..

September 30 2017, 9:32 PM 

Reading the bit of the article above about Somersets pitch, I can't believe that is even still being discussed, it seems to me that a pitch where the 1st innings was 236 and the 3rd 250-9 can't be that terrible can it?

(Login Tyke1950)

September 30 2017, 10:00 PM 

I've got some sympathy for Middlesex. In my view they remain one of the strongest counties in the competition. It's so easy to be the unlucky side of a one or two point differential. Yorkshire have been lucky; Middlesex haven't.
Having said that Middlesex have flirted all season with points penalties for slow over rates and have sometimes used Rayner, rather cynically, to catch up.

I'd expect Middlesex to return immediately to Division One next season.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 30 2017, 10:03 PM 

In any case, I'm sick and tired of this approach to the over rate problem. I want to see a whole match played competitively, with the overs bowled at a reasonable rate. I don't want the meaningful stuff to take place at a funereal pace, and then some rapid overs of spin once the game is decided. Lancashire did it at Headingley when we only needed sixty odd to win in he final innings. I'd have been tempted to take as much time as possible over every possible aspect of our batting.

(Login Roundhegian)

September 30 2017, 11:21 PM 

The penalties for slow over rates are there for a reason - to give the teams an incentive to bowl their overs at a reasonable rate of 16 an hour.
The regulations as they stand allow teams to use meaningless periods of play near the end of games to catch up on over rates with occasional bowlers who would not be in action at all but for their ability to send down six deliveries in less than three minutes. No one can blame teams for taking advantage of this loophole but the authorities don't have to go out of their way to make the loophole even wider.
Apparently Middlesex's appeal is based on an assurance they received from the match officials that they would not be penalised by the abandonment of the match. The officials didn't have authority to give this assurance. This is a red herring because, regardless of what Middlesex were told, play would not have resumed, even if Middlesex had requested it, if the security people were not confident it was safe to do so. Middlesex were informed the penalty would stand before they started their next match. So their appeal should fail.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 1 2017, 12:10 AM 

We let Lancs do it at Headingley. Patting back the likes of Croft and Hameed allowing them to catch up their over rate. We could have sent them packing that day with a deduction.

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

October 1 2017, 9:48 AM 

Regarding the days that could be "saved" by not playing the MCCUs (or put another way, taking away from the MCCUs 3 of the games they look forward to playing the most).

This season the MCCU matches began on March 28. Does anyone want Championship cricket in March?

In turn the MCCU games give the counties a really good game to limber up in a competitive environment. They are the ideal final prep before the Championship. If they went, and the Championship began in late March, they'd need to be playing prep games in mid-March!

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

October 1 2017, 10:16 AM 

We'd end up with more pre season games/warm ups in dubai.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

MCCU

October 1 2017, 10:52 AM 

Yorkshire's first MCCU match was on the 2nd of April. If I remember rightly they had arranged a couple of practice games prior to that, Lancashire and Derbyshire I think, plus some games in the UAE.

In a perfect world we would keep the MCCU matches and still have time for 16 CC games.

I was going to make a point about the opposition not being very strong and possibly leading to players becoming overconfident prior to tougher matches to come.

Lyth made 194, Lees 100 against the MCCU, we lost the next game v Hants of course when they didn't do nearly so well.

It's probably a better run out for the bowlers, Coad did bowl quite well.

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

October 1 2017, 5:21 PM 

Geoff - you are right that there should be easily enough room for 16 CC matches and the MCCU game.

The cause is that the fixtures are now very spread out, with a lot of space in the calendar, which is why the whole English season ran from March 28 to September 29. In various incarnations of past fixture lists, counties would, for example, often play a Championship game with a one-day game shunted up near it.

Essentially it is the block system for the different competitions that has made things how they are.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

October 1 2017, 6:50 PM 

"We let Lancs do it at Headingley. Patting back the likes of Croft and Hameed allowing them to catch up their over rate. We could have sent them packing that day with a deduction."

thats right dwight, we did. Could easily have cost lancs 2 points, and really cannot understand why we didn't.

those 2 points might have had a bearing on who goes down, us or the lancys....at that stage it was impossible to tell.

I wonder if somerset would have done the same with middlesex if they had the chance earlier on in the season?

(Login Blackpooltyke)

October 1 2017, 6:53 PM 

The real problem in allowing this deduction to stand however, is the fact that it was not caused by natural causes, ie the weather, but by a deliberate act.

what would have been the outcome had a middlesex supporter done something similar at taunton on day 4, causing the match to be abandoned as a draw and subsequently sent somerset down?

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Where is the intelligent effort?

October 2 2017, 1:22 AM 

"Quality is never an accident. It is always the result of intelligent effort." - John Ruskin

I follow a lot of different sports, and have done so since I was a very young man. However I can't think of another sport with such an incompetent governing body as English cricket does in the ECB.

Think of it: In 2016 we had one of the great Championship finales set to go between Yorkshire and Middlesex. A wonderful opportunity to showcase the Championship. So what do the "giant brains" at the ECB do? They refuse to allow Yorkshire's two top batsmen the opportunity to play in the match in order to "rest" them - despite the fact neither YOUNG man had played in the previous two weeks.

This year, the defending county champions are demoted because of a two-point deduction resulting from an extraneous, non-cricket event. Would this sort of fiasco manifest itself in any other sport?

How does the County Championship have any chance of of being revitalized when it is managed by nincompoops such as those who quadrupedal around the halls of the ECB headquarters?

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

October 2 2017, 9:11 AM 

Alex - it didn't "result" from the crossbow incident. Middx were behind on the rate when it happened. It would have been the same outcome if the heavens had opened at that point.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 2 2017, 9:23 AM 

I have no sympathy at all for Middlesex or any other county that gets an over rate penalty. They all generally bowl at an atrocious rate, and then try to correct the result with passages which at worst, demean the game.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 2 2017, 10:55 AM 

Yep, tough luck. Northants failed to go up due to an over rate points deduction and have accepted it's their fault. I don't see how Alex can pin this one on the ECB but he usually finds a way.

Can we win the Ashes?
(Login Blackpooltyke)

October 2 2017, 11:07 AM 

Alex, in your opinion then what should theecb have done?

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Middlesex ECB hearing

October 2 2017, 11:23 AM 

Whilst agreeing with Alex that, generally,the ECB are demonstrably incompetent, on this occasion I agree with Cricket Wanderer, and others.The crossbow affair wasn't the same as the usual abandonments and doesn't really sit right(the cruel barbs of outrageous fortune) but, nonetheless, it was the correct thing to do. What were the alternatives- very few if any? A different decision would have been unfair to another county, so given that Middlesex got themselves into that position, they are the most guilty, so to speak.
Incidentally, can anyone recall any other unusual abandonments (George Davies/Davis?)apart?
Edit-in Cricket, of course and in England.

This message has been edited by tonyinsiam on Oct 2, 2017 11:25 AM

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

October 2 2017, 12:01 PM 

The facts are that the match ended up as a draw after being abandoned when a crossbow arrow ("bolt") landed on the field midway through Middlesex's second innings. Abandoning the match denied Middlesex the chance to improve their over-rate, and thus the two-point deduction was unfair considering the extraordinary circumstances.

The deduction should have been waived.

One can only imagine the "sturm und drang" if this had been Yorkshire, or if it had been a Championship-deciding event.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 2 2017, 12:47 PM 

But how does anyone know with any certainty that even if they had played on that the over rate would have improved?

It's an assumption. Not a guarantee.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

October 2 2017, 2:11 PM 

I asked a question earlier on that has not been answered but i think is relevant to this discussion.

Imagine, day 4 middlesex v somerset at taunton, middx about to lose and get relegated, then someone fires a crossbow bolt onto the pitch.....what should happen now?

If the game is abandoned then somerset unfairly would be relegated, or would somerset be awarded the win as they were gonna win it anyway.

It would have been a huge dilemma.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk