<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Middlesex seek ECB hearing..

October 3 2017, 6:01 PM 

According to David Fulton on Sky Sports this morning, it is likely that Middlesex will get their points back on appeal, Somerset will not be relegated as it would be unfair on them, and the CC would be back to 9 teams next season in both divisions.

Please don`t shoot the messenger!!

Hope they sort it out soon and come to a quick decision, our it could be January before next weeks fixtures come out.😊

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

October 3 2017, 6:07 PM 

I can imagine the ECB not wanting it's premier ground been a division 2 ground.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 3 2017, 6:24 PM 

What's the deal there then Stu? Back to 9 teams for one season and 3 to go down?

(Login Irving08)

October 3 2017, 6:28 PM 

And so they should. Being behind an over rate is not a reason for disallowing the appeal.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

October 3 2017, 6:55 PM 

If the report is correct, presumably they will stick with 14 matches in the season, so we will play two teams only once. How will they decide which two?

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

October 3 2017, 6:55 PM 

If the report is correct, presumably they will stick with 14 matches in the season, so we will play two teams only once. How will they decide which two?

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

A victory for common sense and fair play?

October 3 2017, 7:19 PM 

If the rumour is true, I certainly feel somewhat vindicated having taken some flak on this forum for calling the ECB out for what is a preposterous situation.

If I was a solictor, I would certainly want to handle Middlesex's side of the case. I'd be pretty confident of having this egregious decision overruled. If true, it will be a victory for common sense IMHO.

Only in English cricket!

Alex
""

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 3 2017, 7:27 PM 

It was a review of the season by David Fulton and it could have been just his opinion, but nothing was suggested by him how they were going to amend the fixtures.

Back to 16 CC matches perhaps??

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

October 3 2017, 7:35 PM 

As someone pointed out though, Middlesex may not have been successful in improving their over rate enough in any case.

I can see Northants making a call to their own solicitor!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lets have Northants in too

October 3 2017, 8:00 PM 

I would love it if we did go back to 16 CC matches but I can't see it happening.

If they do intend to keep it to 14 CC matches a year why not take this unique opportunity to swap from an 8 team Div 1 and a 10 team Div 2, to a 10 team Div 1 and an 8 team Div 2.

It would arguably make it better for all concerned:

2 down from 10 means the ridiculous 25% of teams being relegated is reduced to just 20%.

2 up from 8 means teams have a 25% chance of promotion rather than the current 20%.

Problem is getting a fair system to decide who teams only play once, otherwise it's a Win, win.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

October 3 2017, 9:13 PM 

As said earlier they do have a good case however think we all know if it had been for example Durham the fixtures would have been out by now.

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 3 2017, 10:23 PM 

A bit of revisionism here I feel- last year the ECB denied the County Championship a showcase and a great finish by preventing Root and Bairstow from playing? Funny that, as the vast majority of coverage I saw agreed that a great finish was exactly what the Championship did get: going into the last session of the last match of the season any of three counties were potential winners, with an ex-England player playing the innings of his life and the contest eventually being decided by a hat-trick, all live on Sky- what can get better than that?? (Other than the final outcome from my perspective of course...)

The real disgrace last year was the relegation of Durham, decided not by matters on the pitch but in a committee room after the season had finished, and on financial rather than sporting grounds. I don't see the Middlsex situation as similar; yes, they were unfortunate that the crossbow incident denied them the chance of catching up on the overs, but so are every side that loses play to rain and thus loses the potential for points throughout the season. It was their fault that they had fallen behind in the first place, and even after the points deduction they had three matches to right the supposed wrong and weren't good enough to do so, falling to two consecutive defeats to end the season. They deservedly got relegated based entirely on matters on the pitch, and if the ECB once again change the relegation spots after the season has finished that action will be the one that further puts the Championship into disrepute.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Oct 3, 2017 10:26 PM

(Login Roundhegian)

October 3 2017, 11:16 PM 

If, as suggested above, the reversion to a 9 team division 1 in 2018 will be for one season only, there are two alternatives for reducing the number down to 8 again in 2019.

1. Relegate three teams from division 1. This would be unjust to the six established division 1 teams and Worcester and Notts as the two promoted counties. Other things being equal, in 2018 they would have a 33% chance of finishing 7th, 8th or 9th out of nine rather than a 25% chance of finishing 7th or 8th out of eight.

2. Promote only one team from division 2. This would be unjust to all nine division 2 counties. Other things being equal, in 2018 they would have only an 11% chance of finishing first and gaining promotion from the 9 team division compared with a 20% chance of finishing first or second in a 10 team division.

So it is incorrect to suggest that the "solution" of not relegating either Middlesex or Somerset would be fair to all concerned.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 4 2017, 8:44 AM 

So if they go back to nine teams in div 1 no doubt the extra games will have to be played in February and October....

Sorry Alex. I don't think people are giving you flak but just arguing the case from the other side of the fence. Perhaps we can go back to our game when four leg byes were not given denying us a batting point that may have been crucial and then Somerset may feel a dodgy lbw can be overturned by belatedly using DRS.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 4 2017, 9:23 AM 

If it comes to a legal issue I suspect the key is whether a 'bolt from the blue' (not often one can use that expression literally) can be regarded as the equivalent of a rain storm in its impact on a match. That will be for lawyers to determine.

My own sympathies certainly do not lie with Middlesex. They had got behind a required over rate which demands little in the way of haste to begin with, indeed it is laughable by the standards of 20 years ago. Their defence is that they were likely to take steps to rectify that. Presumably this means selecting bowlers not for any purpose related to the match situation, the pitch, or any tactical considerations. I hate watching this sort of thing. If it has an element of risk from factors unknown attached to it, good.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 9 2017, 10:39 PM 

It's gone quiet on this one.

Perhaps they should have a play off match to decide who goes down. With pink balls, in a tent played in November. Middlesex will be allowed all their Englsnd players. Somerset can't have the Overtons as with England and they look the same so not sure which one would play so both banned.

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 10 2017, 6:37 PM 

Jack Leach also unavailable- they've decided they don't like his action again.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 10 2017, 7:15 PM 

It`s time they sorted out the Middlesex business, made a decision and got on with doing next years fixtures or they will be even later than the normal late November this year.

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

October 11 2017, 11:20 AM 

Stu - my impression is that there has been a bit of misunderstanding on cricket messageboards about this - the Middlesex business is sorted out.

The reason the ECB have said nothing is because, at least from their point of view, there is nothing to say. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think the ECB are now going to issue a statement saying "Nothing happened".

Middlesex CEO Richard Goatley said back in September that: "We have been advised that since the ECB has chosen to follow the published playing conditions in this instance, there is no scope for any further appeal."

A rumour then circulated that Middlesex could be reprieved with a 9-9 division split reinstated. But this was just based on an opinion, expressed by Dave Fulton, I believe.

A poster on the Middlesex message board wrote: "The draft fixture list for 2018 does now exist." The person who wrote that said they had attended the Middölesex end-of-season do, so I assume they gathered the fact there.

(Login KennyShovel)

October 11 2017, 11:37 AM 

"The English domestic season may have ended almost two weeks ago, but it still remains unclear whether Middlesex or Somerset will be relegated from Division One of the County Championship after the ECB confirmed they are considering Middlesex's appeal against an overrate penalty."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20987479/middlesex-appeal-review,-says-ecb

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk