<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: Middlesex seek ECB hearing..

October 13 2017, 11:18 AM 

In my opinion Middlesex should take it on the chin and accept relegation.
But going to predict be some sort of messy compromise by the ECB and we will have 2 divisions of 9 teams next year with a lopsided fixture list.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

October 13 2017, 1:31 PM 

Regardless of the decision in this case, I believe it would be better to return to two divisions with nine teams in each. The fixture list is already lop-sided and only in September were all teams in Division 1 playing each other for the last 3 matches. The fixtures are distorted because counties with a test match venue do not usually play, but they could play away matches at other venues. Important after say 4, 8, 12 and 16 matches each county should have completed the same number of fixtures. There are too many non playing days for counties, especially first class games. I think we could go back to 3 day CC games with more overs per day.

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 13 2017, 7:07 PM 

This is an absolute joke. No wonder the Championship is treated with such disdain by the vast majority of the media these days when the people who run it conduct it in such a shambolic fashion- the amateurs of Pembrokeshire Cricket Board didn't take much longer than this...

Also three day county games are an even worse idea than four days Tests.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 17 2017, 3:12 PM 

No joy for Middlesex, relegation confirmed.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

October 17 2017, 3:12 PM 

George Dobell is reporting that the penalty is upheld and Middx. go down.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

October 17 2017, 3:22 PM 

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 17 2017, 4:05 PM 

Good. Ludicrous this was allowed to drag on until now, but the right decision in the end at least.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 17 2017, 4:34 PM 

At long last it is all sorted out, but it should have been sorted out weeks ago. Correct decision, IMO.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

October 17 2017, 4:45 PM 

Now get those fixtures out now eh Stu?.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

October 17 2017, 6:09 PM 

Hurray! Trip to Taunton again next year!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 17 2017, 8:40 PM 

Crikey a common sense decision from the ECB at last.

The moral is to get your appeal sorted and in before your last game.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

"I'm a cricket administrator, and I don't care,"

October 17 2017, 11:16 PM 

I certainly don't agree with the decision. It was a non-cricketing event that effectively lead to the demotion of the defending champions. The wonky decison, and the length of time it took to make it, only confirms my opinion that the ECB is one of the most incompetent sports administrative bodies on the planet.

If Monty Python had put out a skit on the foibles of cricket, they could have not done much better than to ape this sporting fiasco for the ages.

Alex
""

(Login dpressed)

October 17 2017, 11:30 PM 

Sorry Alex but I couldn't disagree more. Middlesex were batting when the event occurred. They were relying on being able to declare in time to get enough overs in to cure their slow over rate. Anything could have happened. A player could have been badly injured, the light could have suddenly got far worse etc etc.

As I've said before when they played Yorkshire they declared on 8 down the stop us having the chance of a 3rd bowling point. I still say that is against the spirit of the declaration law. If we had been relegated by 1 point that would have been ok by them.

Those who live by the sword should die by the arrow

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 18 2017, 12:17 AM 

The right decision has been made, any other outcome would have been a complete farce.

(Login swfctyke)

October 18 2017, 3:30 PM 

When was the last time middlesex were in division 2?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 18 2017, 3:41 PM 

Agree that the right decision was made.

The point is though, that decision was originally made several weeks ago, then Middlesex were told there would be no appeal allowed, then they were allowed to appeal, and then the ECB came to the exact same decision as weeks ago.

My opinions of the ECB in this fiasco, are not as polite as Alex`s, but agree with him in general terms. They should have stuck to their original decision and not allowed any appeal or allowed the issue to drag on weeks more than necessary.

Some intereting points here (Middlesex Fans Forum)

http://www.cricketnetwork.co.uk/boards/read/s66.htm?67,16117472

One idea mooted is that over rates should be decided at the end of each innings, and any points deducted at that point. It would speed the game up and avoid the situation of declarations and then rattling through overs in the second innings in dead games.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Oct 18, 2017 4:10 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

October 19 2017, 5:02 PM 

Right decisions, but what a shambles of a process to get there

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Monty Python cricket sketch

October 19 2017, 5:45 PM 

Point of order, Mr Speaker, but there were at least a couple of Monty Python cricket sketches, including

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGYzZ5e6as

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 19 2017, 6:14 PM 

Many a true word spoken in jest....England getting stuffed by Iceland? That could never happen, could it?

Well, not at cricket, perhaps.

(Login dpressed)

October 19 2017, 6:41 PM 

An England XI lost to a Dutch XI. And most Netherlanders don't even know they have a team

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk