<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

Middlesex seek ECB hearing..

September 29 2017 at 9:49 PM
Dwight_Schrute  (Login Dwight_Schrute)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20862967/relegated-middlesex-seek-ecb-hearing-crossbow-points-deduction-furore

Can't be having Somerset relegated retrospectively from here, surely. The whole dynamic of the last match could have been completely different. Any appeal should have been lodged and dealt with prior to the final game.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Simple solution

September 29 2017, 10:14 PM 

Give them the 2 points back.

Decide it would be totally unfair to relegate Somerset.

Go back to 9 teams in each Division from next season.

Find the extra days by letting the Universities play each other and better Scheduling of the fixtures.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

Re: Middlesex seek ECB hearing..

September 30 2017, 8:07 AM 

Geoff, that all sounds good to me, my only worry is it's a bit sensible. It'll never happen.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 30 2017, 9:12 AM 

They should have done this prior to the final game end of story , if they succeed it will only be seen as the ECB once again favoring them. I can sympathise with them but if they succeed people will come to the conclusion that the ECB favors one county over another, the title decider last year did nothing to quash feelings of them favoring this county.

(Login dpressed)

September 30 2017, 9:17 AM 

Easy solution. Give then back their 2 points and then dock them 5 points for declaring on 8 down. This who live by the sword should die by the arrow

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 30 2017, 9:28 AM 

I've every sympathy with them, imagine if that happened to us? We'd be incredibly annoyed especially as they had an understanding that there would be no points penalty for the slow over rate due to the circumstances.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 30 2017, 9:44 AM 

They questioned it at the time but accepted it seemingly. Of course they hadn't been relegated then.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41212768

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 30 2017, 9:55 AM 

The ECB will do what they like. Couldn't give a stuff about county cricket.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 30 2017, 10:00 AM 

Not sure of the best alternative, but i am not a fan of all this points docking for this, that and the other reason. All seems very arbitrary and in the last two seasons in danger of bringing the competition into disrepute, and frankly ridicule if they relegate Somerset here (although doesn't sound likely).

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 30 2017, 10:03 AM 

I wouldn't say they seemed to accept it but acknowledged there was, at the time, no other line to take in regards to appealing against the decision.

What do you think they should do third umpire?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 30 2017, 11:15 AM 

I think they would be daft to give the docked points back. Plus Northants missed promotion after points deducted would have seen Them promoted if they kept them. Dangerous ground.

Perhaps an appeal panel of Strauss gatting and Fraser might come up with a sensible decision.

But frankly if I was involved I'd say leave alone now. Retrospective action will see Hants then appeal if they get relegated instead as they may have played differently on the last day

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 30 2017, 11:29 AM 

I agree, I know we'd do the same in similar circumstances however it's too late to go back and start changing the amount of points the teams have.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 30 2017, 1:11 PM 

Why would Hants appeal if Middlesex got their points back?

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 30 2017, 2:17 PM 

Because if Hants knew they needed to win the last game they would have gone for it

This message has been edited by TheLoiner on Sep 30, 2017 2:17 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 30 2017, 2:47 PM 

I made this mistake the other day!
A draw was enough for Hants to finish above Somerset and Middlesex so outcome doesn't matter to them.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Sep 30, 2017 2:47 PM

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 30 2017, 6:38 PM 

Somerset might still not be out of the woods with regard to the condition of the pitch for the Middlesex game :-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-4935046/Middlesex-appeal-docked-two-points.html

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

September 30 2017, 6:52 PM 

Geoff - why would the universities possibly want to play each other instead of attractive fixtures against the counties, which take up all of 3 days of the season for each county?

The MCCUs already play each other in their own Championship during the season.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 30 2017, 7:15 PM 

To be fair. The 6 universities play 3 rounds of 3 day matches, so an extra 9 days could be saved. This, along with better scheduling, would give room for 2 more CC matches.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

First class cricket

September 30 2017, 7:21 PM 

I'm sure the Universities are quite happy playing the counties and would hate to lose the fixtures, but that isn't my point.

We've been told the season is too tight to fit in 16 CC matches so we have gone to an unbalanced system with only 8 teams in Div 1 and 10 in Div 2.

Cancelling the University v County matches would free up enough room to get one of those matches back. In my view there is enough time to fit in the other one too, if the will was there.

One reason cited for the reduction in the CC was that 16 matches did not give the players enough time to practice, rest, prepare for changes in format, etc.

I don't know how much non first class cricket someone like Leaning plays in a season, for his club, for the 2nds, in friendlies, testimonials etc, but I'm pretty sure it is too much.

If he, and others, spent more of the season playing top class tough competitive cricket he/they would be better cricketers.

littleoldme
(Login littleoldme.)

No chance.

September 30 2017, 8:33 PM 

No chance. Middlesex don't have a prayer with their appeal. End of. When the cross- bow appeared .Middlesex were batting but .were expected .to declare at ten to five. This would normally mean the teams shake hands and except the draw but Middlesex planned to go out and have a little bowl at them so they could catch up on their over-rate. But what if a thunderstorm had hit the ground and the play was washed out? They were behind when the match was at an end. They broke the rules and deserve their points penalty. It happened to us when we beat relegation rivals Worcestershire in 2011. We beat them at Scarborough but we were docked 2 points after the match for slow over-rate. Yorkshire completed all their fixtures before the last round of fixtures but we only held a 3 point cushion over them whilst they traveled to Durham for their "game in hand" They lost but got the required bonus points to keep themselves up. Would they have done this if there was a 5 point difference?
A Buchan

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous TopicReturn to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk