<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hutton to Northants

September 30 2017 at 9:57 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

.. to replace Azhurrala

from Mike Newell

"We are disappointed to see a talented player who has come through our academy ranks, and who we hold in high regard, leaving us, especially after he finished the season so strongly," said director of cricket Mick Newell.

"He informed us of his decision to explore his options in May, expressing his desire to leave because he wants to be a regular in all forms of cricket, something we haven't been able to guarantee in the process of winning two white-ball trophies this summer."

Why sign Coughlin then??

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 30, 2017 10:12 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Hutton to Northants

September 30 2017, 10:17 AM 

I'm sure that statement will be well received at Durham!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 30 2017, 10:23 AM 

And Foottitt mid season.

Suspect the worry is Ball may not be around much but frankly I've not yet been convinced by him

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 30 2017, 10:40 AM 

Didn't Notts develop Footitt in the first place? Nevertheless the tone of that statement shows Newell to be quite a hypocrite.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 30 2017, 10:50 AM 

This is an obvious dilemma which Notts, like Surrey, seem incapable of understanding. If you sign people from outside, some of your existing players will see themselves moving down the peck-order and consider their position. What's difficult to predict about that?

It applies to us. If we signed, as suggested, Mitchell plus a Kolpak, someone like Leaning or Lees might follow Rhodes elsewhere. That may be calculated to be ok, but it's pretty stupid to make the signings and then sound aggrieved when one or two of your own decide to leave as both Notts and Surrey have done this year.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Hutton to Northants

September 30 2017, 1:22 PM 

As usual, sound logic and common sense from Idle man. I suspect that the signing of T K-C and the departure of Will Rhodes may not have been entirely unconnected, though other considerations may have been at play. It is one thing for a young player developed by a club to appear to leapfrog others (Coad and Brook are obvious examples at Yorkshire), but quite another to trawl the country for ready made replacements.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 3 2017, 3:11 PM 

Is it only me that was mildly disappointed to read the title and find out it was about Brett not Richard?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Ryan Higgins to Gloucestershire

October 3 2017, 7:41 PM 

Another young player moving on having been given guarantees of cricket in all formats from his new club.

I suppose we will have to get used to this kind of thing as young players from the bigger clubs get their noses put out of joint and are prepared to move to a different, usually smaller club, to get more cricket.

Of course only time will tell if cricketers such as Higgins, Hutton and Rhodes are as good as they think they are in all formats.

Cricket is so fragmented now with players being pigeon holed by Counties into the different roles some will obviously get frustrated.

It's a short career and I've nothing against players backing themselves and looking for more cricket.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

October 3 2017, 11:32 PM 

happy.gif I was with you on that ThirdUmp!

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

October 3 2017, 11:43 PM 

happy.gif I was with you on that ThirdUmp!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk