<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: Andrew Gale

October 2 2017, 11:15 PM 

There were many times Gale should have done things differently when he was captain eg over bowling seamers without trying spin, field placings, rigid batting orders, team selections, general match strategy and tactics and some selections and order of batting and bowlers this year as team coach have been strange to say the least. Many things have been suggested but ignored.
His reluctance to change is blatantly obvious and is typified in his rapid statement of self justification and blaming others on the website which can hardly improve player confidence or desire of several key players to feel secure in their future with the Club.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 2 2017, 11:23 PM 

Wow. Just think, he might gave won a couple of championships had he followed your advice.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 3 2017, 6:49 AM 

If you have a successful recipe and winning why the need to change? It works.

If it's going wrong and your plan A is broken then why stick with your rigid approach? That's when you need to change and sadly where we struggled this year as we stuck to a formula that wasn't working

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

October 3 2017, 11:26 AM 

Well Seadog it is "debateable" because clearly everyone on here does not share your opinion about Gale's virtues and achievements either as a batsman or captain - or his abilities to be a successful coach of our beloved county team!

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 3 2017, 3:00 PM 

You highlighted his captaincy, I'm not talking about his batting or coaching. Gale captained a successful team very well. I don't personally regard that as debatable but each to their own.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

October 3 2017, 3:22 PM 

Seems that Gale cannot do right in some peoples eyes! How can be be blamed for poor selections when he was captain and then be blamed for the same thing when he was coach! He was and is one of three selectors - i.e. in a minority. So if we didn't like some of his selections when he was captain, then JG and MM are equally to blame, just as GB and MM are now.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 3 2017, 7:13 PM 

My post was purely about Andrew Gale the coach. That's the beginning and end of my criticism.

As a 1st class batsmen he was perfectly adequate - 8,500 runs at 34 with 50 or better every 5th innings. Nothing there to be unhappy about.

As a captain he won two titles, and but for our batsmen losing their collective minds one Sept morning v Kent (2011), a lost toss at Scarborough v Durham (2013) and some poor negotiations with Middlesex (2016) he would have added three more. He was a perfectly decent captain. To say otherwise on either of the above is unfair.

The problem is he aren't no Dizzy. I'm sorry but I cant move beyond he's just not suited to be a first team coach, a lack of people skills, failure to be inclusive and a no 'X' factor which some just have.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk