<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Andrew Gale

October 1 2017 at 2:42 PM
Jay  (Login overman8)

I know it's out of our hands but should Gale be afforded more time to turn things around next season?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

A long off season

October 1 2017, 6:39 PM 

It's going to be, or at least it's going to seem like, a long time till April 2018 if we keep scratching this particular scab.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Andrew Gale

October 1 2017, 11:44 PM 

thank god its out of our hands.

(Login matthefish2002)

October 2 2017, 8:59 AM 

I can see both sides of the argument weather or not Gale should still be coach next season. Think a big factor in him staying is there is no one obvious to take over and we are skint.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

October 2 2017, 11:11 AM 

I am confused. Is this the same guy that led us to promotion from division 2, then 4 top 3 finishes including 2 titles over the last 4 years, and now he is coaching us and having dropped to the lowly embarrassing position of 4th, you want rid of him?

Blimey, fickle does not even start to describe the attitude of posters on here.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

white rose forum

October 2 2017, 11:15 AM 

and now you know why the forum was taken off the Yorkshire site .

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 2 2017, 11:21 AM 

I have already said that AG deserves more loyalty than some show. However, I don't think 'we came fourth' will do. While true that we came one place below the previous season, which was already showing some worrying signs, on that occasion we entered the last match hoping to win the Championship. On this we were worried about going down, and it's impossible to deny we had been very poor for several matches. The closeness of the table from second to seventh should not disguise the fact that something is wrong. And after all, neither Gale nor Moxon are denying that.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

October 2 2017, 1:38 PM 

We shouldn't go over board. If we look at the table, everyone from second to bottom has a problem if go by the points difference. It's always going to be a concern with so few teams

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

October 2 2017, 1:54 PM 

Jason Gillespie was coach and led us out of second division and CC successes thereafter. Gale's contributions were debateabls

(Login Irving08)

October 2 2017, 1:58 PM 

The more I read Andrew Gale's interview, the worse it looks - for him. Effectively he has been found wanting as a coach by his peers. This is not altogether surprising given his inexperience. But are we to infer from his statement an absence of affection too ? Or, at any rate, sufficient personal engagement to help compensate for the lack of experience ? And is this a facet of personality or character that might also show up in dealings with the 'junior' players as they mature ? Might they in time 'let him down' too ?

(Login Blackpooltyke)

October 2 2017, 2:35 PM 

I have already said that AG deserves more loyalty than some show. However, I don't think 'we came fourth' will do. While true that we came one place below the previous season, which was already showing some worrying signs, on that occasion we entered the last match hoping to win the Championship. On this we were worried about going down, and it's impossible to deny we had been very poor for several matches. The closeness of the table from second to seventh should not disguise the fact that something is wrong. And after all, neither Gale nor Moxon are denying that.

idleman, if something is wrong finishing 4th, must be an awful lot wrong with the other 14 teams that finished off worse than us.....both somerset and middx were involved in last seasons drama and yet we have this season finished above them both, with middx, the champions being relegated.

every team apart from essex were in relegation trouble with just 2 matches to go.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 2 2017, 2:43 PM 

Alibor - he was the CAPTAIN, how was his contribution debatable?

(Login swfctyke)

October 2 2017, 2:56 PM 

In defence of Gale, he just hasn't got a golden generation to pick from any more.
The lions squads announced today show that Yorkshire are having a dry spell of producing players.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 2 2017, 3:21 PM 

Peter, my default position with regard to the team is loyalty and support. These lads have given me too much pleasure for it to be otherwise. And of course 6 div 1 sides have been much of a similar standard (poor) over the season as a whole. Over the last few games however, or those I've seen, we've been pretty dreadful. If we perform at that level next season, we will go down - and comfortably, not in a last game lottery where it's any one from...

Andrew Gale isn't defending it. Why should we?

Martin A
(Login hit_amidships)

October 2 2017, 3:22 PM 

I feel like Gale got caught cold with an under-performing batting unit and a bowling attack that seemed too often like it wasn't matching the level of the opposition.

Let me leave aside the batting - it was, and has been, our weakness for a prolonged period. It hasn't been addressed and the performances were the club reaping what had been sown.

The bowling - first, I have to confess that by and large I follow from afar. I saw a bit at Scarborough and some on the TV but I could never claim to follow the club as closely as some (many) on here. It appeared to me that variously, the bowling problems were as follows:

- The pace attack often seemed a bit one dimensional. With Sidebottom missing quite a bit more and all of the right arm pace bowlers operating mainly in the "fast medium" bracket we rarely had anywhere to turn in terms of a different angle of attack or someone with some extra pace to unsettle the opposition.

- Without Rash, we don't have a spinner good enough to rely upon consistently at the moment.

- Previously reliable performers became less so. Whether this was a sign of terminal decline or, again, a collective loss of form remains to be seen. What is undeniable is that the age profile of the majority of our fast bowling unit is on the top side of 32 and some of them have a lot of "miles on the clock".

My inclination is to let him have another season to demonstrate that he has learned from the mistakes of this one. I don't feel that he could have any complaint, however, if he were to be moved on.

(Login Martin00)

October 2 2017, 4:23 PM 

"Jason Gillespie was coach and led us out of second division and CC successes thereafter. Gale's contributions were debateable"

On that basis you could also say that our slide this season is due to Gale no longer being captain. Ballance's contributions were debateable.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

October 2 2017, 6:56 PM 

Ok enough of the Gale bashing because no-one on here has stated what he should have done differently.
Should he have ran into the field of play and box thier ears til they play sensibley?

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 2 2017, 10:07 PM 

I see a fair amount of cricket - 30+ days of 1st and 2nd team. Hopefully I'm one of the less reactionary posters.

Time to have my say. I've no faith in AG and no expectation that things will improve. I've little confidence in MM. We need to change the coaching team.

My reasons:

1) The players are good enough. Lyth, Lees, Leaning, Bres, Patto, Hodd, Ballance, Coad, are the nucleus of a good div 1 team. Its not lack of ability. The team are under achieving in all formats

2) the team lacks unity. They all seem unhappy and I'm not talking cliques. The JG motto 'strong unit' is a straw in the wind. Unhappy teams rarely win matches. AG seems a brooding presence, I'd suggest he lacks the necessary 'people' skills.

3) every player, bar Coad, is under performing, some significantly so.

4) The recruitment of overseas players has been unacceptably poor and knee jerk in the later part of the season

5) Players have been marginalised - Lees, Willey and Rhodes are the prime examples.

6) The coaching staff don't seem to be developing or improving the players. There's no 'buzz' around the squad.

Compare and contrast Silverwood and Mags with Gale and Pyrah, watch them around their players, look into the pavilion when the clubs played at Scarborough, its chalk and cheese, right and wrong.

My replacement? I'd look to Australia but beyond that I'm not sure.

If anyone cares to read back at the posts made by Rey - he's writing what I'm trying to say only, his is more coherent (and on a different thread).

Also what exactly does MM do?

This message has been edited by sid-don on Oct 2, 2017 10:11 PM

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

October 2 2017, 10:25 PM 

Thanks Sid, much appreciated. I don't get to many games at the moment, so always value the views of those who do. My instinct, from a distance, is to give Gale more time, but there doesn't seem to be much support for him from those who see his work first-hand.

Reg
(Login Reg123)

October 2 2017, 10:42 PM 

Sid you hit the nail on the head on all fronts. Gale blames everybody but himself in his article, says a great deal. Previous success was completely linked to Dizzy, how would anyone not make that link?

We have a buch unhappy players, not just the obvious ones, this needs to be fixed somehow. Finished fourth? Only just stayed up, Essex debacle, one day meltdown,shocking individual stats, can we really accept that? Really?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk