<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ECB listen to us!

October 2 2017 at 10:24 AM
Gavin Gray  (Login yorkie1863)

Instead of points deductions for slow over rates, 15 extra runs added every hour if under the 16 overs.

The fixture list is a mess. Organise it better and there is plenty of room for 16 matches a season. There must be after all you are finding space for your other Mickey mouse competition.

Allow England players to play more for their counties where possible and that will bring more people in to watch the county championship.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: ECB listen to us!

October 2 2017, 10:39 AM 

Unfortunately County Cricket loses money hand over fist.

T20, much as i despise the fact that it as relegated proper cricket to second class cricket, makes the money.

Why bother playing 6 hours a day for 4 days, when the gate receipts from just 1 3 hour match will be more than the receipts from all the 4 day games put together?

Can this be reversed?

Only by making County Cricket more attractive to the paying public.

One of the things we need to do to facilitate that is to be more determined to play the game, 'the show must go on' instead of walking off as soon as the sun goes behind a cloud, or shaking hands at 4.50 on the last day.

We also need to devise a way to keep the game interesting right through the 4 days.

that would mean bonus points for second innings performances, so even in games that are dead, points are still to play for.

One cannot really blame the ecb for pushing first class cricket out of the way for more profitable cricket.

After all, if you were (say) a painter and decorator and made £30 an hour for wallpapering but only £5 per hous for painting, just how much painting would you do?

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Oct 3, 2017 3:57 PM

ed the fed
(Login edthefed)

October 2 2017, 11:00 AM 

They need to remember whilst it is sport it is also part of the entertainment business.

A set number of overs should be required to be bowled each day. Fall short in any hour / session then a Duckworth Lewis styke formula used to calculate how many runs the batting side are credited.

For each day a player is unavailable owing to playing for England or rested by England the team is awarded an extra point

If an England player has not played for England for two weeks, then rather than more rest they should be made available to respective counties...its the "stars" that people want to see.

Umpires to crack down on deliberate time wasting, where the game simply stops

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

October 2 2017, 11:12 AM 

Blackpooltyke, that's right.

Bear in mind that this a very much the fixture list the counties asked for - formats in blocks with limited switching, T20 at times to attract maximum crowds, and space between the matches.

As you say, the one thing the Championship can do is make itself more attractive. I would add that facilities at various grounds during Championship games tend to be variable. Catering is sometimes okay, but sometimes terrible.

Also, especially if you are going to play a lot in April, there needs to be a total removal of the "you can't sit here, you can't go there" attitude towards customers who pay good money on the day. You cannot expect people to sit outdoors for 8 hours in the cold under grey skies while members enjoy "exclusive" indoor facilities. No other visitor attraction would be set up like this.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 2 2017, 11:49 AM 

Interesting discussion.

Personally, I don't think 'making county cricket more attractive' is the key. I don't see any evidence of people coming along, seeing what they make of it, and going away thinking 'OK, shame they came off for bad light' or whatever. The championship is watched by people who believe in it; the key is to increase their numbers.

If the ECB were to decide to promote the best regular, serious sporting contest in this country, properly, things might improve a bit. The key to this is the TV, and I suspect, these days, the internet. As far as TV is concerned, if I was doing the deals for the ECB, broadcasts of internationals would have to include regular interval news from county games, publishing tables, and above all promoting coming fixtures and their importance. Yet again we entered the last round of matches with all sorts of issues to be decided, yet no promotion of the relevant matches to a potential public.

As for over rates,...don't get me going again. However, despite my frustration I'm not in favour of penalties which affect games, such as runs added. The game should be decided by the cricket played.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

October 2 2017, 1:30 PM 

Better pitches please.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

October 2 2017, 2:24 PM 

I think people need to be wary of mixing up their personal pet hates with things that will make the CC more attractive.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 2 2017, 2:30 PM 

Agreed. Watching a forced last hour of day 4 in a dead game with part timers operating isn't going to increase the appeal of the CC.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

ECB listen to us !

October 2 2017, 4:13 PM 

I agree with Idle man about the need to advertise the games better. Yorkshire themselves are not blameless. If you look at the walls and fences around Headingley Stadium, there are plenty of posters advertising the rugby, but few if any advertising county cricket. There is plenty of scope especially outside the west of the ground. Posters and boards could be sited before and during county matches to catch the attention of passers-by. Buses go past every few minutes, shoppers walk or drive to Headingley, students are for ever on the move. Tell them all about the cricket.
I attended just one T20 game this year. The manic announcer (not our own excellent Howard Ferguson), mentioned the forthcoming T20 games and the internationals to be played at Headingley but made no mention of Yorkshire's next county game a few days later at Scarborough. We have an office jammed packed with 'marketing men'. Surely it is not beyond the wit of one of them to rectify this simple omission.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

October 3 2017, 12:37 AM 

An idea to expand the appeal of County Championship cricket (and reward counties for developing England players) is allow counties to field an extra overseas player for every England player on international duty. Though limited to County Championship matches, players who have originally come from the county's academy system or have played for their current county for at least five years.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 3 2017, 12:16 PM 

The problem is that the ECB have done everything in their power to make 4-day county cricket UNattractive. Play the matches in the cold of April, May and September and deprive the counties of the top players they developed.

I agree wholeheartedly that some attempt could be made to market the matches, as is done for Tests and T20. The prevailing view seems to be that nobody is interested, so why bother?

Yet, we often get decent crowds at Headingley. Just a hint of good weather and people come. We get a big crowd at Scarborough, and there was a decent turn out at Chelmsford, for a special occasion, of course. We also see good attendances at Taunton, for example.

County cricket is better attended than Graves and his henchmen would have us believe. They want it to fail, and so they keep telling us it is failing. Remember the lies about the Scarborough attendance a couple of years ago, in the official YCCC accounts? And the subsequent apology on an obscure website page, that a 'certain category of attendee' had been overlooked?

(Login dpressed)

October 3 2017, 5:48 PM 

As a working man I have to ask why the September matches were all played midweek.

The last weekend Championship day's cricket in Yorkshire was the first day of the Essex match at Scarborough.

It's almost as though they are trying to make it hard for the majority of the population to see 4 day cricket

This message has been edited by dpressed on Oct 3, 2017 11:05 PM

(Login dpressed)

October 3 2017, 5:48 PM 

Double post

This message has been edited by dpressed on Oct 3, 2017 11:03 PM

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

October 4 2017, 12:50 AM 

If fans want a 16 match CC season then there is no other option but to play matches in April, May and September, unless if early season matches were to be played in Abu Dhabi. Otherwise the ECB will change the CC format to 3 Divisions of 6 and play 10 matches per season.

I don't see the problem playing CC matches in April, May and September when the weather is more than useable. Days 2 and 3 of the season opener against Hampshire was played in 20C sunshine and the weather in June and August can be just as unreliable.

Reducing the number of CC games to 14 and having a 8/10 split was a necessary evil, as it freed up 4 rounds of CC cricket (16 days). Though for better scheduling I would like to see no teams receive byes in a round of CC matches and allow better time to prepare between formats.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk