<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rangana Herath

October 2 2017 at 1:27 PM
Dwight_Schrute  (Login Dwight_Schrute)

Anyone knows this fellas schedule next year?!

Another bagful in the test vs Pakistan. Can bowl all day, economical and takes plenty of wickets. Would solve the spin problem and potentially someone who the likes of Carver can learn from. Class act.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin
(Login Martin00)

Re: Rangana Herath

October 2 2017, 4:27 PM 

And by replacing Sidebottom, he wouldn't increase the average age of our squad!

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 2 2017, 5:11 PM 

Great performance from him today, thankfully the ICC are looking at ensuring no more of these exciting 5th day finishes by reducing tests to 4 days!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 2 2017, 5:14 PM 

True, they are thinking of 4 day tests, but they are planning on the same total nr of overs in the match as on 5 days. That is ok in theory, but with the appalling over rates that are the norm in tests, a days play will last about 12 hours plus!!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Oct 2, 2017 5:22 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 2 2017, 6:36 PM 

He's a superb bowler- quite an endearing character with his throwback less-than-athletic physique and proper tailender's slogging too.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Oct 2, 2017 6:37 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 4 2017, 9:50 AM 

Forget it. Arthur says we want a top 3 batsman.

Let's hope it's Pujara Marsh or Williamson rather than Handscomb or bratthwaite

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 4 2017, 10:30 AM 

Agree with Pujara & Williamson although we are unlikely to get them for any length of time to make it worthwhile.

Jury still out on Marsh - he had an average T20 comp. and then scored loads of runs at the Oval, where there were 4 other centurians, including Lees, who by the comments on this forum, should not even be in the side. Yes he looked vg at the Oval, but so did a lot of other players.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 4 2017, 10:49 AM 

I know Pujara is a fine player but he only averaged 28 in Division 2 this season. Half of his runs for us also came in one innings, so not getting too excited there either.

Marsh's t20 was indeed only ok but he never looked troubled. It was more a lack of gears and attacking mindset the issue in that format, combined with poor management decisions in sending in similar type batsmen to bat with him at times.

I suspect he would have a strong Championship campaign.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Oct 4, 2017 10:49 AM

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 4 2017, 11:21 AM 

The names discussed just go to show how difficult it is. I think Kane Williamson is possibly the best batsman in the world, but his impact for us was positive but not emphatic. Pujara put England to the sword, but largely failed in div 2. All I suggest is that we try to avoid being wise after the event. Handscomb and Brathwaite appeared good signings, the management don't deserve to be rubbished for making them.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 4 2017, 11:59 AM 

I think Herath would be a great signing, even though he would bat 11 in any conceivable Yorkshire team.

Bring him over in August to play at Scarborough Festival, employ him to coach Carver/Logan/Shutt and any other 2nd/Academy spinners during the T20, then he can bowl us to the Championship title in September.

By the way, the Pak v SL 2nd Test can by seen on Sony Max HD (Sky 798) from 11 am Friday, which suggests it's a D/N game. I think it's free to air - other programmes on that channel are.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk