<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lions Squad

October 2 2017 at 1:35 PM
Dwight_Schrute  (Login Dwight_Schrute)

Lions: Dom Bess (Somerset), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Paul Coughlin (Durham/Nottinghamshire), Alex Davies (Lancashire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), George Garton (Sussex), Nick Gubbins (Middlesex), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Keaton Jennings (Durham/Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Mark Wood (Durham).

No Yorkshire involvement, looks like Rashid is now just a white ball Cricketer. Wonder if Sam Northeast fancies a move to Division one to get noticed?!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin A
(Login hit_amidships)

Re: Lions Squad

October 2 2017, 1:43 PM 

Surprised that Finn isn't included.

That aside, if/when it's confirmed that Stokes can't go to Australia you would expect at least one, more likely, two of those will be called up to the full tour and replacements will be called.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 2 2017, 2:30 PM 

Lions squads always make me wonder.

Wood clearly picked to keep fit if needed in main team but if some of the seamers are better than Coad it's beyond me and the bloke from Surrey I have hardly heard of at all. Perhaps some have been overlooked so they can play in BBL or other t20 gigs?

Martin A
(Login hit_amidships)

October 2 2017, 2:40 PM 

Coad had a wonderful season, but there will always be questions when a bowler is operating around the 80mph mark (and often below that). Now, I didn't see any of the Essex v Warks game on Sky, and reports suggest that this was around the pace that Porter was generating too - which defeats my own argument in a way. Whatever the truth of the matter, I would be fairly certain that his pace would be the main reason that Coad has missed out - especially on an Ashes tour as opposed to say if the whole setup was going to NZ where conditions might be more conducive to his style.

(Login swfctyke)

October 2 2017, 2:54 PM 

Medium pace bowlers like Coad rarely play international cricket nowadays unfortunately.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

October 2 2017, 2:59 PM 

Porter looks a little bit sharper than Coad to me - low 80s, at a guess. He's also more experienced and closer to being the finished article.

Martin A
(Login hit_amidships)

October 2 2017, 3:32 PM 

What can anyone tell me about Mahmood from Lancs? Hopefully a better prospect than his namesake who had a serious penchant for leaking massive runs.

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

October 2 2017, 3:42 PM 

Judging by his sporadic appearances Mahmood does appear to be somewhat injury prone. However, I notice he played in the Headingley Roses match and had decent figures of 22-4-62-3 so maybe someone who was there remembers his bowling.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Lions squad

October 2 2017, 4:30 PM 

Saqib Mahmood is still only 20 years old which may explain his rare first team appearances for Lancashire hitherto. Along with Hameed he was a member of Lancashire's outstanding junior side which were national champions at both 15 and 17 years.
He has already represented England under 19's and the Lions. He is tall with a classic upright action, generating plenty of pace.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Lions squad

October 2 2017, 4:31 PM 

Saqib Mahmood is still only 20 years old which may explain his rare first team appearances for Lancashire hitherto. Along with Hameed he was a member of Lancashire's outstanding junior side which were national champions at both 15 and 17 years.
He has already represented England under 19's and the Lions. He is tall with a classic upright action, generating plenty of pace.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

October 2 2017, 4:44 PM 

I feel that the Lions Squad these days is a bit of a mixture of up and coming and genuine reserve. Which I suppose does indeed mean that Plunkett is nowhere near the test side ditto Rashid. Given that Anderson only bowls in the early 80s these days, its a good job hes got other attributes to keep him in the side! Coad may not be express but he is not Patto's pace either!

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

October 2 2017, 6:44 PM 

Jimmy Anderson was bowling 84/85/86mph this summer in the Tests. On Sky Patterson is normally 76/77. On the few times Coad has been on he was 78/79/80mph

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 2 2017, 8:18 PM 

A Lions squad with no Yorkshire involvement would have been unthinkable a few years ago. Another wake-up call as to how our squad and the careers of the likes of Lyth, Lees, Leaning and to an extent Rashid have declined...

Not too surprised Coad isn't included. He's only played one season of first team cricket and hasn't been part of the England pathway as much as others so not too surprising that the likes of Porter, Garton and Mahmood were selected ahead of him. I'm sure he's on the radar though.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

October 2 2017, 10:00 PM 

I really like the squad. Especially the batting which effectively says "We are in the last chance saloon, over to you youngsters"

I would not have wasted my time on Westley unless they expect him to change his technique.

Happy with the spinners also. Bess and Leach are the right choices.

Bowling - I would have liked to see Jamie Overton back in after his injury but understand why not.

I know little of Coughlin. Or the lad at Essex.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Plunkett/Finn

October 2 2017, 10:08 PM 

If it transpires that Ben Stokes doesn't go on the Ashes tour I would expect one of Plunkett or Finn, probably Plunkett to be included in the full England squad.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 3 2017, 6:44 AM 

I think this squad suggests its Wood who is on stand by to replace Stokes.

It's definitely a squad for the future though. Only Five have played full international cricket (westley, wood, livingstone, duckett and jennings) suggesting the selectors have given up on a number of players.

An alternative third squad of players not in the lions or ashes team might be

Lyth
Robson
Hales
Dawson
Davies S
Rashid
Plunkett
Finn
Curran
Patel
Bell as skipper and to pass on experiences

Who have all played in the past and then 5 fresh faces.

You learn from better and more experienced players as much as coaches.

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Oct 3, 2017 7:59 AM

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

October 3 2017, 8:09 AM 

I was surprised neither of the Currans nor Josh Tongue were in the squad. Unless they are being either rested or in a special fast bowling squad.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

October 3 2017, 3:54 PM 

'Not too surprised Coad isn't included. He's only played one season of first team cricket and hasn't been part of the England pathway as much as others so not too surprising that the likes of Porter, Garton and Mahmood were selected ahead of him. I'm sure he's on the radar though. '

Mahmood has only ever played 4 first class games but like Garton he has been part of the U19 set up. Coad has never played for England at any level. Coad would have been in I think if he bowled around 85mph instead of 78-80mph.

This message has been edited by Me4791 on Oct 3, 2017 6:30 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 5 2017, 7:19 PM 

Just to mention that Steve Dennison stated on Twitter that Yorkshire had requested a winter off for Coad (and Fisher) which may have also been a factor in his non-inclusion.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 6 2017, 7:24 AM 

Poor decision if that's the case while allowing their peers to develop and experience other conditions.

When we start in March there will be complaints we are undercooked despite Dubai warm ups.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk