<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Photos from Chelmsford and a few thoughts

October 3 2017 at 11:32 AM

Dave Morton  (Login DaveMorton)

Usual link for the photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/albums

I have deliberately kept away from the debate (post mortem) that must have followed the Chelmsford Massacre. We supporters care about Yorkshire cricket, sometimes too passionately, if that is possible, and this was hard to take. If you thought it was bad following from afar, you should have been there!

For me, it was the worst defeat since 2007, when we were sunk without trace at Hove. Sussex made 597 for 8, including a century by someone called Hodd, to which we replied with 247 and, following on, 89 all out. We lost by an innings and 261 runs. Nine of that Yorkshire team had played, or would play, Test cricket.

Bad as it was, the Chelmsford defeat wasn’t as bad as that. We had a decent first day, when we bowled Essex out, and two quick wickets at the start of the Essex second innings briefly put us in contention again. In this game it was the batting that was dire, and there was little evidence of fight, which has to be worrying. I have consistently maintained that our batting is okay – not brilliant, without Root and Bairstow, but adequate – under most circumstances. I still think that there are greater concerns, especially in the absence of Rashid, but to have virtually no runs at all from the top three in the order cannot continue, not if we are to keep our First Division status.

Lyth and Lees have both made runs before, big runs. Why not in 2017? Has this been just one of those statistical oddities, two batsmen out of form at the same time? We like to have someone to blame, but who? Some say the coach, who might have helped correct technical flaws which creep into every batsman’s game, or coach and captain for failing to provide the positive dressing room atmosphere in which players flourish.
If that’s the case with Yorkshire, poor team spirit, it wasn’t evident the previous week when the team battled to beat Warwickshire, nor in their affectionate send-off for Ryan Sidebottom.

Then there’s the overseas batsman problem. Ten years ago, at Hove, we had Inzamam-ul-Haq, who did just about as well as Kraigg Brathwaite has in 2017. And Inzamam was one of the world’s great players, well used to English conditions.

It will be interesting to see what management decisions are made, prior to the 2018 season. Essex have shown what can be done with just two imports to augment a team of home-grown players. We ourselves won two titles with much the same.

So I’m in the Corporal Jones camp: “Don’t panic!”

But we all know that Jones was an idiot! So perhaps we’re doomed, I tell you, all doomed.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Photos from Chelmsford and a few thoughts

October 3 2017, 7:05 PM 

Well said - I agree with every word.
I was at Hove in 2007 - did Tahir play in that game as well? - and we're a MUCH better team than we were then.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

October 3 2017, 11:46 PM 

I share your thoughts, Dave, but I couldn't bear to look at the photos.

I looked at the Patterson-Fisher partnership from the previous match instead. It was all my soul could take.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 4 2017, 7:00 PM 

I fully understand that, Simon, it wasn't a whole bundle of fun editing the pics. However, the Essex v Y Album has had 126 hits to date, and the individual photos, between them, around 7,500 since I posted on WRF and CoU.

All my cricket photos for 2017 are in this 'Collection'
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/collections/72157679465945654/

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

October 4 2017, 8:09 PM 

Out of interest, which set of photos produced your most hits?

(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

October 4 2017, 10:09 PM 

Dave: You mention the 2007 debacle at Hove and compared it with the defeat at Chelmsford (2017). An interesting parallel is that both followed excellent home wins against Warwickshire.

In 2007 we lost at Hove by an innings and 261, a week previously we'd beat Warwicks by an innings and 210. The final three Warwickshire wickets added 191, at one stage we were looking at one of our biggest ever wins. A week later, shambles. As an aside Sangakkara played in the 2007 Warwick game, facing 6 balls for 4 runs and 2 outs, both to Hoggard. Not quite the 2017 version. Inzi was making his YCCC debut.

In 2015 we lost at Chelmsford by 'alot' after a fabulous and nail biting 2 wicket win v Warwickshire. Braithwaite was making his debut. Oh the joy of short term signing.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 5 2017, 12:22 AM 

This season...173 hits on the Yorks v Lancs album, followed by 140 on the recent Yorks v Warwicks, both of which we won. The top, however, is the album of 4 photos of Bradman, Woodfull and Hobbs at the Scarborough festival match of either 1930 or 1934 - we never quite resolved it, but it was fun trying; that got 227 views.

These are just the hits on the albums themselves. There are other ways in, and the top individual cricket photograph of 2017 is the enigmatic one of Jack Hobbs sitting waiting to bat(?) in ordinary shoes; 811 hits.

Overall, there are 18,070 photographs which have attracted 939,531 views, going back to when I joined in 2012.

I follow a photographer called 'Yorkshire Sam' who gets huge hits, faves and comments on nearly every photograph he posts. Click onhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/74593159@N05/ and you will see why. Brilliant!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 5 2017, 6:38 AM 

Thanks Dave.

I grew up with a view of Roseberry Topping from my garden as a kid and admire it every time I drive past. Climbed it many a time the last when I completed the Cleveland WAy a couple of years ago.

Just when you think you must have seen the Topping from all possible angles in all seasons and on thousands of postcards someone managed to find a new angle like Sam.

The view from the top is breathtaking too.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Photos

October 5 2017, 4:31 PM 

Thanks for your photos, Dave- superb. Also, Sam's photos are magnificent. Been to many of those places , in Yorkshire, Wales and Scotland and done some climbing too, in the !950's and sixties. Those photos bring back memories, seems like only yesterday. Awesome to think those places will still exist after I am gone.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk