<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

No more rain delays?

October 4 2017 at 1:03 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

It is not the 1st of April. but a giant tent could solve the problem!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41497072

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: No more rain delays?

October 4 2017, 2:06 PM 

Well, I'm far from against it for obvious reasons. However, wouldn't the atmosphere and therefore the playing conditions, alter enormously? And the larger the crowd - which is what the authorities are interested in - the worse it would be. All those beer-swilling, burping, overweight blokes?

They used to say the mills and steelworks belched out more smoke when we were in the field. In the future we'll all be able to assist Coad and Fisher by eating large quantities of beans for breakfast.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

October 5 2017, 12:30 PM 

Hot air balloon and a tent tied to floodlights? You cannot be serious.

But how far away are we from being able to construct a fully indoor stadium, big enough for playing area and spectators? I note the millennium dome/O2 arena has an internal diameter of 320m and a max height of 52m. With something like that, T20 could be played all in one place, during the winter, with an artificial pitch and outfield, thus freeing up July and August for cricket, the long afternoons in the sun we remember.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 5 2017, 12:35 PM 

The Docklands Stadium in Melbourne has held indoor internationals for a number of years now.

(Login dikaiopolis)

October 5 2017, 12:43 PM 

Yes, I've been to a couple of matches there; the Telstra Dome as it was in those days, but I think the name has changed several times since.

It was a drizzly Melbourne Spring day, and there would have been no chance of play at the MCG, so the roof was good. But it was absolutely freezing - like Headingley in early April! I naively assumed that roof = warm, but of course you can't heat a volume that size. I had paid for an expensive seat near the front, but I moved up to the back of the top layer, because you got some heat from the floodlights!

This message has been edited by dikaiopolis on Oct 5, 2017 12:43 PM

Neil
(Login BCTyke)

October 5 2017, 3:05 PM 

Well it might be a tad small, but over here in BC we have this:

http://www.bcplace.com/the-stadium

Mind you, today the weather is bright sunshine & 22C, so perfect weather for a game without the roof.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

October 5 2017, 8:57 PM 

Cricket; the sound of the English summer. Is it just my perception or is cricket being moved further and further away from its seasonal roots. If so, then ultimately it will either die or transform into something which bears no resemblance to what it started as being. Nostalgia? The sound of bat on ball in a summer meadow. Not really part of a supermarket approach to existence. A pastime or a business? I begin to discern an embryonic dislike for professionalism in sport. Market economics invade and destroy all that is beautiful in life. Indeed, the price of everything and the value of nothing governs so much. It is perhaps rather unfair to place all blame for our materialistic age on Mr Graves. He is a successful contributor to, but hardly the inventor of, capitalism. As a species, humans are rarely satisfied with that which they are given. Greedily, they always want more. Even if the "more" is contaminated, inferior and fundamentally self-destructive.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 6 2017, 7:22 AM 

I think it was Eric Morecambe who once said he knew the cricket season had begun when he could hear the sound of leather hitting Brian Close.

A distant memory in all probability.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

No more rain delays ?

October 6 2017, 11:35 AM 

Thank you, Third umpire. Your contribution was the first thing I read today and had me laughing out loud for some time.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk