<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Law changes

October 8 2017 at 1:47 PM
Gavin Gray  (Login yorkie1863)

There has been a lot of changes to the laws.
Lost ball removed and now covered under dead ball.
Handled the ball removed and now covered under obstructed the field.
Fielding substitute can now keep wicket with umpires approval.
Umpires now have the power to deal with on field misconduct. There are 4 levels going from warning upto removing offending playing from field of play.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Law changes

October 9 2017, 10:36 PM 

So who was the last man out handled ball in a test match then?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 9 2017, 11:46 PM 

Micheal Vaughan.

Me4971
(Login Me4791)

October 10 2017, 9:06 AM 

Hasn't the rule changed for grounding the bat with run outs as well?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

October 10 2017, 9:49 AM 

if you ground the bat,or your person, beyond the crease and it subsequently bounces up you are now ok. previously you could be out if nothing was grounded.

Me4971
(Login Me4791)

October 10 2017, 10:45 AM 

Is this at the exact moment the bails are dislodged? So the moment the bails are dislodged is it ok for your bat to be in the air if it had previously been grounded in the crease? Amazing how many ex players didnt know the rule previously. Tended to be Aussies on co commentary. I've seen Brett Lee, Mark Taylor and Mark Waugh get it wrong. Now they would be right!

JG
(Login _JG_)

October 10 2017, 6:35 PM 

Yes, I believe the way the poster above describes this is correct.

Good change in my opinion: a bat bouncing up is pure bad luck and almost uncontrollable, it shouldn't result in dismissal when the batsman has made his ground.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Law changes

October 11 2017, 9:14 AM 

So we've had heavy bats, metal bats and now bouncing bats. I suspect I am not alone in hoping to see a few more straight bats from our players next season.
Incidentally, the law change refers also to players' bodies. It would be interesting to see Imzamam, for example, plunging full length for his crease and then 'bouncing up'.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

October 11 2017, 9:47 AM 

Gap in the market for telescopic bats that you can lengthen when a few feet short of making your crease. Bit like in snooker when they add an extension on to their cue.

(Login dpressed)

October 11 2017, 7:58 PM 

I do think the 'run out law' change is sensible. Once you've made your ground you are in. Its like a batman putting his foot down over the line then being given out because both his feet are off the ground

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

October 11 2017, 11:13 PM 

Not quite the same but, for consistency within the laws, when a batsman plays and misses but has a foot down behind the line then topples over/raises his foot and is stumped you could argue that he has already made/stayed in his ground and should not be given out.

I am not advocating this just pointing out what I see as an anomaly.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk