<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Article - Leeds Caribbean CC

October 14 2017 at 5:33 PM
Cricket Yorkshire  (Login cricketyorkshire)

Afternoon. I'll be writing weekly articles throughout winter for the Cricket Yorkshire website, if you're looking for reading on Yorkshire cricket.
Just published a feature on the Dales Council Cricket League after a visit to Leeds Caribbean CC at the end of the season:
https://cricketyorkshire.com/leeds-caribbean/

**If you visit the Cricket Yorkshire website, I'd welcome your thoughts on my readers' survey about CY design, content etc including future articles you'd like to read:
https://cricketyorkshire.typeform.com/to/pdPNmf

Thanks, John.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: Article - Leeds Caribbean CC

October 15 2017, 12:24 AM 

Always enjoy playing at Leeds Caribbean CC. I believe the groundman used to be on the Yorkshire groundman staff in the early 80's.

Cricket Yorkshire
(Login cricketyorkshire)

October 15 2017, 10:12 AM 

That's right Kevin...had a good chat to Mark, the groundsman...

As you're a batsman, looks like a challenging ground to hit boundaries at LCC?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Leeds Caribbean CC

October 15 2017, 10:49 AM 

In my cricketing days, I was a stolid, unexciting opening bat playing at one time in the now defunct Barkston Ash League. We went to play the Caribbeans, who had two very quick opening bowlers. The first ball of the match was a beamer. In abject terror I swung wildly at the shoulder high delivery. To my amazement it sailed over backward square leg for six. It was one of the very few sixes I ever hit but probably saved me from a nasty injury in pre-helmet days.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

October 21 2017, 3:22 PM 

Like Jolly D I have some fond memories of playing against Leeds Caribbean, also in the old Barkston Ash League.They always played the game with gusto and i remember only too well being clouted for six on several occasions. In the mid-late 70's they sometimes borrowed our ground at Swillington for their end of season day out/party.Certainly brightened up the village for the day.Not too long ago I saw a feature on the local news where they were interviewing a Tony Bowery (hope i got the name right). If i recall correctly he used to open the batting and keep wicket.Think he may have been captain too. I was delighted to see that he was still involved with the club in a coaching capacity.
I cringe looking back and remembering the racist comments and abuse they often suffered during and after games. After all this was the "Love Thy Neighbour"era.....
I doubt anyone at that club would remember me ...but they just might, because I took 8 for 26 in the Lane Fox cup final against them. I was 14 at the time so it must've been around 77/78.I still have the match ball and YEP article.So thanks for the article John and for giving me the opportunity to re-live one of the very rare successes from my brief cricketing career.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk