<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Matthew Engel - a must read piece

October 20 2017 at 8:19 PM
sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Loved this opinion piece from the Guardian by one time Wisden editor Matthew Engel. Agree with every word.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/oct/20/cricket-is-rotting-destroyed-icc-ecb-t20-test-matches

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: Matthew Engel - a must read piece

October 20 2017, 8:59 PM 

Agreed - the madness of today's game put in a nutshell by an elegant writer.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Rambles on a bit

October 20 2017, 9:52 PM 

Of course it's difficult to disagree with a lot of the piece. People have been going on about giving test matches some meaning and context for ages, and I agree, I don't think the new format is quite right.

Why he had to drag Geoff Boycott into it I couldn't really see. Unless it was actually a case of dragging and dropping bits of other things he had written previously to flesh out his rant and cover all the bases.

I might be doing the chap a great disservice but I thought he seemed most upset about the villains daring to mess about with the scheduling of the Lords and Oval tests, thereby mucking up his social diary.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

October 20 2017, 10:07 PM 

Agree with most of the article, there is a dumbing down of all cricket, and it appears to be with the tacit agreement of the ICC & the ECB.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 21 2017, 8:45 AM 

What a sad and bitter old man he has become. I mean, complaining that the cricket authorities seem to have messed up his social calendar is pathetic.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

October 21 2017, 9:00 AM 

Well Kevin Pietersen isn't happy about this article as are quite a few other players too

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

October 21 2017, 10:13 AM 

An article Pietersen doesn’t like must have something to recommend it. However while I agree with much of it I know where EYT is coming from. I try to remind myself from time to time that if I feel the world has gone to the dogs in some way over the last ten or twenty years it is less likely to relate to any genuine change which will be recognised as clear in a hundred years time, and is more likely to be a reflection of me becoming a moody old git.

Sad really. Engel is fundamentally one of the good guys. I heard David Frith, whom I absolutely revere, talk recently and he too spent much of the time complaining the game he loved is being ruined.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

October 21 2017, 11:03 AM 

This article is clearly going to expose a generational divide, but it really does come across as bitter rant by an old man who once was a great cricket writer and not at all reactionary. Not all change is good but neither is it all bad. We can't keep harking back to some mythical golden age - that's what got the entire country into the awful mess in which it currently finds itself.

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

October 21 2017, 11:25 AM 

I have strong sympathies with what he is saying, however we have no option but to move with the times. They are moving anyway, so we are obliged to go with them.

Since it's inception I have regarded T20 as an abomination. The majority of the sporting public think otherwise, so it has grown in popularity. T20 will eventually overtake and subsume all other forms of the game. Why would you put on 4/5 or even one day games when you can get a days worth of takings in three hours?

How long this transformation will take is still to be seen. I am 34 and have already resigned myself to the loss of the long form of the game in my lifetime.

County cricket is now played in the extremities of the season in England, test cricket is meeting a similar fate. The future of cricket is in it's shortest format. The crowds and the tv viewers have voted with their feet and with their remotes.

(Login Tyke1950)

October 21 2017, 7:21 PM 

A passionate and powerful article by a man who has been involved with cricket (among many other things) much of his life.
I sympathise with most of what he writes and agree with quite a lot of it too.
Unlike many old fogeys, I don't wish to belittle 20/20 cricket but I find the ECB's plans for the new competition execrable. Like him, I would wish to see it in hell. Similarly, I agree with Engel in thinking the abandonment of free-to-air cricket a massive error. I see nothing reactionary in his arguments in favour of a predictable calendar and can't quite see upon what the suggestions that he is the cricketing version of 'an old fart' are based. His views on the dubious validity of a Test Match Final seem beyond reproach.

Thank you Sid for sharing it with us.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

October 22 2017, 12:43 PM 

I'd be intetested to see how Engel's own county, Northants, would've got on without Sky money.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk