<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

A drinking culture?

October 31 2017 at 7:35 PM
sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Interesting stuff from The Spin.

Pretty much covers Yorkshire business plan!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/31/the-spin-is-staying-sober-just-not-cricket-england-australia#

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: A drinking culture?

October 31 2017, 7:52 PM 

Sensible article I thought. Always been a lot of hypocrisy in the test grounds' attitude to this.

I really have no understanding of those who pay for a ticket to quite an expensive day's cricket - I'm not talking about steady drinking while watching here - and don't watch the game at all. Why don't they just go to a pub, or sit in a park with a cool box full of beer?

(Login matthefish2002)

November 1 2017, 10:12 AM 

Good article.
I am not tee total at all and do enjoy a couple of drinks any day I am watching the cricket.
But did find myself on the Western Terrace for the Test Match v New Zealand a couple of years ago and while I wouldn't say it spoiled the whole day for the next international I went to at Headingley I made sure I was sat somewhere else.

Think Yorkshire have it about right with a 'The Party Zone' where fancy dress allowed and you know to avoid if you want to watch cricket first and drinking second.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 1 2017, 10:34 AM 

Some friends booked us into the party zone by mistake this year. I don't remember a single over and I wasn't even drinking! Horrendous! Next day I was a guest of a Taverner. Contrast was amazing and I had a couple of pints!

(Login swfctyke)

November 1 2017, 1:08 PM 

Give me county cricket on a Tuesday morning any day!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 1 2017, 1:26 PM 

Quite, cricket first. There's always the Arcadia in the evening.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

November 1 2017, 7:35 PM 

Couldn't agree more with the article. I'll sometimes, but not always, have a pint or two depending on whether or not I am driving. I often get asked by non cricketing friends and colleagues how much I drank at the cricket, if I have ever made a beer snake or gone in fancy dress, but am rarely aaked about the cricket itself. They can't seem to fathom that I, strangely enough, go to the cricket to watch cricket.

I even remember leaving the office at lunchtime to attend the Surrey pink ball match to remarks like "don't drink too much you're back here tomorrow". Cricket does seem to be a byword for getting drunk unfortunately.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Keep it off the telly

November 1 2017, 9:50 PM 

There seems to have been a reduction in the number of people making an exhibition of themselves at sporting events since the broadcasters made the decision to keep the cameras off the people, usually drunken young men, streaking.

Sky should take a similar attitude to drink induced loutishness and not show close ups of certain parts of the crowd during the late afternoon and evening sessions of Tests and ODI's and at any time during televised T20's.

It might cramp the style of a couple of the commentators but perhaps they would be better advised to concentrate on the cricket too.

(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 1 2017, 10:22 PM 

But Coastelview, its all about the 'atmosphere'!

I've been thinking about my first experiences of test cricket, 1976 and 77 at Headingley. I honestly dont recall anyone drinking mush at all. The change seemed to come along in the mid to late 80s.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 3 2017, 4:07 PM 

If Sky Cameras had access to the hospitality areas, I am sure they will find similar alcohol fuelled behaviour from clients aided by a paid for bar.

Whilst attending 2016 T20 Finals Day, there was a group from Northants in a hospitality box above who were clearly inebriated to a point they weren't watching what was happening in the final and was giving it large to a handful of spectators below. Whilst the language used was within reason, it smacked of pure snobbery. I wonder what Nasser Hussain would make of drunken behaviour in corporate hospitality boxes at cricket matches, particularly when he said there are "Yobs" in the Western Terrace and would not take his children to a game.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk