<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Yorkshire's contracted players

November 18 2017, 11:05 PM 

I believe we have two separate issues here. Firstly, on paper, at least, the first team batting squad ought to be good enough. The problem for a while has been their collective inability to play up to their perceived potential.
This is up to the players themselves and their coaches.
The second problem is the apparent paucity of young batting talent currently in the pipeline. I mentioned this two years ago, contrasting it with the richness of available bowling talent. Moreover, this disparity has grown worse subsequently. While most of the young bowlers are still with the club and making steady progress, a clutch of young batsmen have departed. Some have been found wanting by the coaches, but more worryingly, several have simply chosen to walk away. Rhodes is the most obvious, but three Academy batsmen also chose to leave last year for reasons of their own.
Of next year's 17 year olds, only one has been brought into the Academy.
Just one glimmer of hope lies with next year's 16 year olds. Six young batsmen played either with England or the North of England as 15 year olds. All of them bat in the top six of their respective club sides.
Of course 16 is a long way from the first team - or is it ? Ask Matthew Fisher, Barney Gibson, Tim Bresnan, Paul Jarvis or even Doug Padgett.
As has been said before, the emergence of top players tends to be cyclical.
I do maintain, however, that the employment of an experienced batting coach would be a good start.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Yorkshire's contracted players

November 19 2017, 12:19 PM 

These things are cyclical, I think, JollyD.

For years our junior/academy set-up gave us batsmen like Vic Craven, Scott Richardson, Simon Widdup, Chris Taylor....all worthy, good players by any normal standard, but not quite the real deal for f-c cricket.

Then we suddenly got Adam Lyth, Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow, to which group we added Gary Ballance - a golden generation indeed, but hardly the norm, even for Yorkshire.

The graph has evened out again, but even so the last few years have produced Alex Lees, Jack Leaning and Will Rhodes, with others like Harry Brook and Jordan Thompson in the pipeline, who may be good enough, or not. Time will tell.

We're a long way from a batting crisis, I would suggest.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 19 2017, 5:43 PM 

A batting coach to help develop Academy and 2nd XI players transition to 1st team cricket is a good suggestion. Reading Ian Dews Academy report, there are bowlers and wicketkeepers who need to work or are working hard on their batting. Since the likes of Lees, Leaning, Kohler-Cadmore and Hodd are in a similar position, such an appointment would be justified.

The Academy's ability to produce batsmen is not an issue, as seen by players who have come in the last 10 years. But this gets confused by Yorkshire's current strength in depth and long term form at 1st team level, by certain posters who repeatedly claim the batting is not in crisis mode.

More often than not the 2nd XI batting card will have holes in it with just two recognised frontline batsmen in Brook and Tattersall, while bowling all rounders and bowlers are elevated just to form a squad. Not necessarily a bad thing for bowlers to nuture their batting skills from time to time, but if the 1st xi batting gets depleted without reinforcements, then Yorkshire will end up fielding a side more akin to one of Dave Clark Five'***** singles.

Signing Will Porterfield on a two year contract before Ireland's players become Overseas would be a boost to the batting resources. More often than not the Yorkshire CC batting line up will consist of Lyth, Lees, TKC, Overseas and Leaning.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April first kind of posting

November 19 2017, 7:16 PM 

Sign Will Porterfield! Wow, I didn't see that one coming.

I know nothing is impossible but if we did I could only presume he was paying us.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 19 2017, 9:09 PM 

I agree with Geoff - Porterfied would be a depressing signing. In any case, surely he fancies a crack at test cricket with Ireland.

(Login KennyShovel)

November 19 2017, 9:48 PM 

Porterfield's record for Warwickshire in Div One:

2411 runs @ 23.87, with one century in 105 innings.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

November 19 2017, 10:01 PM 

Porterfield... Christ?

For what reason?

(Login middlestumps)

November 20 2017, 8:02 PM 

The key to it is that we’ve got to have players ready to play when Galey (Andrew Gale) and Gary (Ballance) need them up above. We’ve got to have players in form, ready to play who can do the job, whether that’s a senior player that’s been left out or a junior player like Harry Brook, or a middle of the road player like Ben Coad who’s served his apprenticeship

Middle of the road means well established 2nd team, and fringe first team players. Coad is only one championship season in, and not established in all formats.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Good news day.

December 7 2017, 7:15 PM 

Contract extensions announced today for Brook, Coad, Fisher, Leaning and Waite.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/6191/youngsters-commit-to-white-rose.

On the same day as the Kane Williamson announcement.

Brook currently 50 n.o leading England U19's to a stroll in the park win against the Saffers.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

December 8 2017, 3:17 PM 

This little piece of news seems to have gone under the radar on here

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk