<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lancashire youth policy

November 3 2017 at 2:44 PM
David  (Login dikaiopolis)

They have re-signed Chanderpaul - he'll be 44 during the next season! Mind you, he's still pretty good. And apparently Chapple is still registered as a player, although it's a few years since he has played.

Less facetiously, they have extended the contracts of Matthew Parkinson, and Rob Jones, both of whom look like good prospects.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: Lancashire youth policy

November 3 2017, 3:21 PM 

To be fair to Lancashire it would only be proportionate to remember that there were loud protests from Yorkshire members when the Club decided not to renew Percy Holmes' contract at the age of 46 years. He had missed several games in the previous season as he had been suffering from lumbago.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Lancashire youth policy

November 3 2017, 5:29 PM 

I believe Percy Holmes' share of the record breaking stand of 555, was his last century. No doubt some statistics guru can either confirm or refute that.

(Login swfctyke)

November 3 2017, 6:27 PM 

Seems a little bizarre, given they've let two good batsmen in Louis Reece and Luke Procter move on in the recent past

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 3 2017, 6:47 PM 

Jennings, Hameed, Davies, Livingstone, Chanderpaul, Vilas, Maclaren is a very strong batting line-up.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 4 2017, 10:45 AM 

I've just renewed my Lancs CCC '1st XI' membership. Perhaps they were waiting for my £96 before finally committing to Chanderpaul.

I still can't believe their results from last season, and even with Jennings and Chanderpaul and Onions I think they'll be relegated next year. Of all the Lancs youngsters, I think the big medium-fast Danny Houghton is the best. There's a batsman/w-keeper, too, same under 19 age - George Lavelle - but Yorkshire are infinitely the stronger at that level, where James Logan and Jack Shutt have just received awards. Harry Brook is in that group too.

Luis Reece would have been okay if they played with a tennis ball.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 4 2017, 10:59 AM 

I thought Mahmood (?) looked quite good against us last year.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 4 2017, 11:42 AM 

£96 membeship at Lancs??? £165 for us. Second class price for second-hand cricket, perhaps?!

(Login BrickyardBoy)

November 4 2017, 11:54 AM 

JolyD wrote,

"I believe Percy Holmes' share of the record breaking stand of 555, was his last century. No doubt some
statistics guru can either confirm or refute that."

You are quite correct. Percy Holmes scored 60 centuries for Yorkshire. Of course, his career was interrupted by the Great War; having first played for the County in 1913; when he would have been at the height of his powers.

The first century (exactly, 100) was against Notts in 1919 and his last (224 not out) was his share of the 555 against Essex in what was to be his final season (1932). (There is a similarity with Lehmann here, in that in some sense, both went out on a "high"). After that he was in and out of the side (presumably due to the "injury" which ultimately finished his career) with a series of scores in the 60's, 70's and 80's, of which 87 against Surrey at Bramall Lane was the highest. In his last game at the beginning of August, against Leicestershire at the old Aylestone Road Ground, he scored 4 in the first innings and Yorkshire won by an innings and 169 runs, so he did not get a chance to improve on his first innings performance.

Of the 60 centuries, he had eight scores of over 200, of which two progressed to over 300.

His highest (315 not out) was against Middlesex in 1925. This was an unusual score as no-one else got over 61 runs for YCCC.

The link ishttp://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/Scorecards/11/11512.html

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Nov 4, 2017 12:00 PM

(Login BrickyardBoy)

November 4 2017, 11:56 AM 

The £96 at Lancs is the price of a concessionary (OAP) First XI membership, which entitles you to watch 11 days of cricket and not entry to all fixtures.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Nov 4, 2017 12:01 PM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Membership

November 4 2017, 1:07 PM 

"£96 membeship at Lancs??? £165 for us. Second class price for second-hand cricket, perhaps?!"

#165? I've just had an email from the club telling me my membership will now be #205

Is the #165 also concessionary?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 4 2017, 1:34 PM 

A 'traditional' 65+ Membership at Lancs is £153 (CC + 50 over); £197 for T20 as well.

As BB said, the 1st XI membership entitles you to 11 days of first class cricket at Old Trafford and other home grounds, plus membership privileges and discounts at the bar. Lancs also have reciprocal arrangements with other counties, so last year I was able to watch Yorkshire at Edgbaston and at Chelmsford for nothing; Hampshire also, but I didn't go.

Seems a good deal to me, with the Roses Match and a couple of Lancs home games when Yorkshire didn't have a fixture. Quids in.

Oh yes, Mahmood did look a good prospect. Saqib, is it? Unfortunately he seems to be injured most of the time, and the rest of their reserve seam options are absolutely dire, young Houghton apart. Jarvis will be a huge loss.

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on Nov 4, 2017 1:38 PM

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Lancashire youth policy

November 4 2017, 1:41 PM 

A bit off topic, but at £165 or £205 makes me feel quite smug about the Life Membership I bought in 1988 for £800. Annual membership was £40 so I've already had my 20 years and am well into "profit". For some reason the Club stopped selling Life Memberships a few years ago, at £3300-ish it wouldn't be an option for me now.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Lancashire youth policy

November 4 2017, 1:57 PM 

Thank you, BrickyardBoy for your most interesting development of the Percy Holmes theme. There is no sport like cricket for fascinating statistics and the stories which often accompany them.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

Regarding Percy Holmes

November 4 2017, 3:10 PM 

Continuing my researches about Percy Holmes I have, this afternoon, come across a cricketing oddity. Not only did Percy Holmes share with Herbert Sutcliffe, the highest partnership in English domestic first class cricket (i.e. 555) he also played in 555 First Class Matches during his career. An interesting numerical co-incidence!

I came across this titbit whilst trying to discover what part he played in hostilities between 1914 and 1918. So far I have found nothing definitive, except that there was a Private Percy Holmes in the West Yorkshire Regiment. Whether this was our Percy, or some other Percy, I have been unable to arrive at a conclusive position.

Does anyone have knowledge about this?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 4 2017, 4:42 PM 

Brian ---- The price of full membership is £165, if over 65, and paid before December 1st.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 4 2017, 6:42 PM 

A friend of mine bought a Lancashire Life Membership some years ago (20?) when they were going through a bit of a cash-flow crisis.

A couple of seasons ago he got a letter from the club telling him that he was now a drain on resources!

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Lancashire youth policy

November 5 2017, 11:25 AM 

I believe BrickyardBoy and I may have inadvertently hijacked this 'Lancashire youth policy' thread with our interpolations about Percy Holmes. If so, perhaps the moderators can weave their technological magic to move the material to a different thread (?).
Meanwhile, Percy was a Huddersfield man who lived, I believe, in Oakes. His 'local' (about two miles away) was the Wappy Spring Inn. Indeed, one of his nicknames in the dressing room is rumoured to have been 'Wappy'. He would occasionally take other Yorkshire players there, including Herbert Sutcliffe. At one time the inn was half in Huddersfield and half in Halifax. It still exists but is now entirely on the Huddersfield side of the M62.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk