<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tour match

November 4 2017 at 9:35 AM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Gary Ballance retired at 51 not out batting at 6 so he hasn't done himself any harm. Runs also for Malan and Vince who I suppose he is in direct competition with to bat at 5. Hear they all got a life, Vince got several.

I do hope he gets in the Ashes team so we can know, one way or the other, who he's going to play for most next season.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Re: Tour match

November 4 2017, 11:12 AM 

According to the BBC site there are 13 players in the England team and 12 playing for WA.
Does this count as a first class match?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No Ballance

November 14 2017, 8:46 AM 

Vince and Malan both picked for the final warm up game at Townsville. It looks like someone has to fail or get a bad injury for Gary Ballance to come into contention for a place in the Ashes.

Sorry for him on a personal level but prefer to have him free to concentrate on his day job.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 14 2017, 9:38 AM 

Other than Anderson coming in for Crane, this will be the team for the first test. It'll be very interesting to see how Overton gets on - I think he might be a very useful fourth seamer on Aus pitches.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 14 2017, 9:38 AM 

If we're just looking at things from a selfish team point of view - I try not to but often fail - I suspect Gary will be around the test squad, whether in the eleven or not, until he gets in and fails again. If he makes a success of the no. 5 spot at some stage, we need another captain. If he is selected and doesn't get runs, I suspect there'll be no more chances however heavily he scores for Yorkshire, and he'll be back with us for good.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 14 2017, 2:10 PM 

One probable outcome is Ballance gets a token run out in the 4th and/or 5th test against Australia once the Ashes is decided, then starts in the New Zealand tests.

Lets hope Yorkshire are not playing County Championship cricket on the same week as the 2nd New Zealand test. The thought of starting a season with four frontline batsmen and without the regular captain is not a pleasant one, otherwise it will be another disappointing and painful season.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 14 2017, 6:33 PM 

The NZ tour ends on 3rd April, the championship season won't start until at least a week later.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 14 2017, 10:50 PM 

The 2017 County Championship season began on Friday 7th April, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the 2018 season may start on 6th April.

England players won't arrive home until Thursday 5th April at the earliest, even with the shortest route home. Yorkshire can pretty much forget having Ballance (or Root and Bairstow) available for domestic action during that week.

No Ballance and no Overseas signing at the time of writing, lets hope Yorkshire are prepared for such an eventuality rather than reel out the same old excuse from previous years of overall player availability.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 15 2017, 11:50 AM 

I'm sorry, but I never really understand these criticisms. We seem to sign one overseas after another, often quickly, and often in response to sudden and unexpected losses of those already on the books. Most of us are enthusiastic about the individuals when it happens. Unless we can find someone like Sangakkara, towards the end of his career and surplus to requirements elsewhere, I don't see that we could have done a lot more as far as overseas are concerned. And Sanga types are extremely rare, and I suspect, extremely expensive.

Kolpaks and signings from other counties are a different matter, but this area too is fraught with difficulties.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

November 15 2017, 12:00 PM 

I agree - when five or six players are in the mix for England places, it is very difficult to plan. Root and Bairstow are bankers for the foreseeable future, but Ballance returning to the England set up over the summer was a surprise for many. He got injured at the right time - one more failure in a Test Match and he would probably have come back. On the other hand, many thought that Rashid would go to Australia. He didnt. Plunkett could easily have gone, and could have been a substitute when Finn went home but picked up an injury at the wrong time.

How a county is supposed to plan for any of this I have no idea.

On this particular tour match, I notice that Crane didnt pick up any wickets and went at four an over. I have seen nothing so far to suggest that he is an economical version of Rashid, which is what Bayliss seemed to be suggesting.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 15 2017, 12:22 PM 

Good to see King Christopher Woakes returning to his pre injury form.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 15 2017, 12:30 PM 

Even with Ballance we are short of quality batting. So they should be planning to rectify this in any case.

Kolpaks are unlikely after Denison suggested on twitter that we wouldn't take that route. Nothing to do with Gale giving it the big one the other year, i'm sure!

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

November 15 2017, 2:26 PM 

Martin, didn't you once say Rashid is better than Warne?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 15 2017, 2:33 PM 

And I’m sure they are planning - as best they can. They have in the past in my view. Quite what they should do about the captaincy I really don’t know. They can’t do anything until the Ballance position becomes clearer.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 15 2017, 2:50 PM 

Wasn't the 'Rashid better than Warne' statement based on their statistics very early on in their respective Test careers?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

November 15 2017, 2:56 PM 

Leg Glance, I can't quite remember the full version of it.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 15 2017, 7:17 PM 

"Even with Ballance we are short of quality batting. So they should be planning to rectify this in any case.

Kolpaks are unlikely after Denison suggested on twitter that we wouldn't take that route. Nothing to do with Gale giving it the big one the other year, i'm sure!"

Also Denison said on his Twitter Q&A that consistent availability of overseas players is a key goal, whilst wanting more value for money. The Yorkshire think tank are severely limiting their options by going down that route.

Every test nation except Pakistan has international commitments up to the 1st week in April, Pakistan touring UK and Ireland in May/early June, play in Asia Cup and go to Zimbabwe in August.

West Indies host 3 tests against Sri Lanka in July, Australia and Sri Lanka are hosting internationals against Bangladesh and South Africa in August.

Even if Yorkshire sign a prolific Australian currently not part of the test squad or IPL, there is a likelihood they will be called up for a winter training camp, an A tour or their state side want them back for pre-season training/One Day cup action.

The best Yorkshire can do for continuity is sign a Indian not playing IPL or a West Indian until June, then sign a New Zealander from July. Gone are the days where an Overseas player can committ to a full season, unless if they are a kolpak.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 15 2017, 8:06 PM 

"I agree - when five or six players are in the mix for England places, it is very difficult to plan. Root and Bairstow are bankers for the foreseeable future, but Ballance returning to the England set up over the summer was a surprise for many. He got injured at the right time - one more failure in a Test Match and he would probably have come back. On the other hand, many thought that Rashid would go to Australia. He didnt. Plunkett could easily have gone, and could have been a substitute when Finn went home but picked up an injury at the wrong time.

How a county is supposed to plan for any of this I have no idea."

This is where forward planning and learning from past experiences come into play. Looking at the ICC Future Tours Programme will give Yorkshire a better idea on what Overseas players are available at the time of year.

Yorkshire losing bowlers to England duty is not an issue because the club has plenty of credible back up options in that department.

Even if Ballance doesn't make the New Zealand tour, Yorkshire still have five frontline senior batsmen as it stands

Lees
Lyth
TKC
Ballance
Leaning

As Dwight says, Yorkshire do need to bolster senior batting options in the event of injury or international call ups and a replacement for Will Rhodes is still yet to be found.

Identifying overseas players at short notice is one thing, but the Yorkshire think tank are employing a high risk strategy by wanting an Overseas batsman available for a whole season when international call ups for tours and training camps are a regular occurence. The real focus should be on signing senior domestic batsmen as back up, even if it is just for a season.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Keeper/batsman required

November 15 2017, 8:45 PM 

We always seem to be searching for that elusive international class batsman who is available for most of the season. That class of batsman, someone close to the standard of a Joe Root or Kumar Sangakarra , are in very limited supply at the moment.

You can probably count players in the world game, those who you can rely on to score runs game after game, on ten fingers. You'd be struggling if you threw in your toes, and none of them would be free of international commitments.

So we end up spending the overseas budget hoping a Handscombe, or a Shaun Marsh, or a Jake Lehmann might do the business. Equally it could be argued they might well fare no better than a Lees or a Leaning or a Kohler-Cadmore.

I hope one season soon we can feel secure enough in our batting to dare to bring in an overseas bowler, but especially with the uncertainty over the availability of Ballance, I don't think next season will be it.

In my view if we can't get a world class batsmen, and I don't see how we can, then we need the best batsmen we can get who can keep wicket in all formats of the game. I know Hodd is very popular with some and a nice guy but I for one have no confidence in his batting, i.e it's an unexpected pleasant surprise when he does score runs.

Cameron Bancroft, if the Aussies don't pick him, might be a prospect.

(Login legglance)

November 15 2017, 10:47 PM 

"Leg Glance, I can't quite remember the full version of it."

My less than complete recall is that, at the time, after say 10-15 games, Rashid had better stats than Warne had achieved after a similar period and quite a few bandied it about on various social media outlets.

Much of it was tongue in cheek with a bit of hope that Rash might go on at the same rate.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk