<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Geoff Holmes RIP

November 6 2017 at 7:45 PM
Guest  (Login BrickyardBoy)

The official website is reporting the death at 91 years of the much loved and respected Geoff Holmes, widely known to members of the Club as the man who ran the second-hand bookstall with Vivien Stone. What a truly kind and generous man he was; he always had a friendly word (and an impish sense of humour).

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Nov 7, 2017 8:45 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Geoff Holmes RIP

November 6 2017, 8:35 PM 

Another of our special characters gone. Very sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Geoff Holmes RIP

November 6 2017, 11:28 PM 

Memories of many happy hours spent in his company, especially at Scarborough and at away matches. He just loved talking about cricket but never sought to impose his views. Even in his later years, when both his mobility and his hearing had deteriorated, he continued to exude a personal warmth which drew people to him. I don't think I ever heard a wrong word said about him, which is truly remarkable.
May he rest in peace.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 7 2017, 2:19 PM 

Geoff wouldn't know me but I'm aware of him from his involvement with the bookstall. I however have one exchange worth recalling.

It was a couple of summers ago at a second team game being played at Leeds. The weather was indifferent and the attendance tiny. Literally at the football stand end there were only 7 people - Ray and Alan on rope duty, Geoff and Vivian, me, strangely an ex-colleague I'd not seen since he retired and a chap from Lancashire who'd played in the same club side as Roger Harper and entertained us with some excellent stories.

The first team were away at Warkwickshire, the game when Ryan reduced them to 29-9. I was following that on the club twitter feed and announcing each wicket to Ray and Alan. Geoff was out of ear shot. Ray went to break the Edgbaston news. Its fair to suggest Geoff was doubtful of the accuracy of the 1st team score!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 7 2017, 2:50 PM 

A good man. RIP. But you never sorted those books alphabetically, Geoff. (A standing joke between us, after a visitor had complained while I was there.)

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 7 2017, 4:05 PM 

Picked up many a good book from the stall and found him to be friendly and enthusiastic follower.

I wonder if we can find someone called Percy Boycott to take over his mantle to keep up the connection with Yorkshire openers!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 7 2017, 4:36 PM 

(Login BrickyardBoy)

November 10 2017, 1:37 PM 

Rawdon Crematorium was full, with standing room only severely tested for the funeral today of Geoff Holmes. It was a lovely, wholesome and homely celebration of a wonderful life. His love of cricket came over loud and clear; carefully balanced against his even greater love of his family; children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and their love for him.

One came away from the service with sadness, but also with a smile on the face. One usually smiled after a meeting with Geoff. A great man!

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Geoff Holmes RIP

November 10 2017, 3:19 PM 

I agree with every word, BrickyardBoy. It was also good to see the county club well represented by a director, a committee member, a past president, at least one life member and members of the coaching staff. His family mixed freely with the guests and made themselves known to all, just as Geoff would have done. There were moving tributes from several family members, not least from his 13 year old great grandson whose composure moved everyone else to tears. Truly a fitting tribute to a fine man.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Geoff Holmes RIP

November 10 2017, 3:19 PM 

I agree with every word, BrickyardBoy. It was also good to see the county club well represented by a director, a committee member, a past president, at least one life member and members of the coaching staff. His family mixed freely with the guests and made themselves known to all, just as Geoff would have done. There were moving tributes from several family members, not least from his 13 year old great grandson whose composure moved everyone else to tears. Truly a fitting tribute to a fine man.

littleoldme
(Login littleoldme.)

R.I.P

November 10 2017, 9:16 PM 

Rest in peace Geoff. You will be missed.
A Buchan

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk