http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41897726

Any thoughts on replacement? Plunkett?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Finn replacement

November 7 2017, 9:28 AM 

From a cricketing viewpoint I would have picked Plunkett instead of Finn in the first place.
However, I think having his knuckles wrapped for being a dirty stop out might have cost him the place.

Mark Wood is a possibility if he's considered fit enough, with Porter injured I can't see past Plunkett otherwise.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Finn out

November 7 2017, 9:58 AM 

NLOP

(Login swfctyke)

November 7 2017, 9:58 AM 

I'd go for Mark Footitt

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 7 2017, 2:20 PM 

Hard to see beyond Liam.

Wood wouldn't play 5 tests, Footitt quick but very erratic, what about one of the Currans?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 7 2017, 4:07 PM 

Tom Curran selected.

It's amazing how so many players can get injured playing so little cricket. Finn, Ali, Wood (not fit enough to be called up). Perhaps they should just play cricket to keep fit

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

November 7 2017, 4:18 PM 

Some very promising young players in the squad.

However, very concerning and very poor management that so many have no understanding of England test cricket.

The Ashes away is not the time for Foakes, Curran, C Overton to learn.

They should have been played over the course of the summer series.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

November 7 2017, 4:36 PM 

I just worry that Bayliss knows so little about the first class game in England that his first thought is "that bloke from Surrey who bowled well in that ODI" even if he had an indifferent domestic season. This Ashes series could well end up being make or break for Bayliss. The progress made by the ODI/T20 squad is clear, but you even wonder how much of that is down to him, and how much is the influence of Farbrace.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 7 2017, 5:17 PM 

I agree with your fears about Bayliss, but you could hardly pick Plunkett on the evidence of English first-class cricket in 2017.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Drinks carrier

November 7 2017, 5:46 PM 

Hopefully Curran will benefit from being around the Test squad and won't be called into action anywhere other than in the nets.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 7 2017, 5:51 PM 

The trouble is Geoff, I think that applies to about half the squad.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

November 8 2017, 3:27 PM 

I agree that Plunkett can have no complaints about not being picked. I suppose the difference is that he brings experience, he is a known quantity (and to be fair to him, he missed quite a bit of the season through injury - whereas Curran did get a full season in).

I see that there is a bit more explanation about why Rashid hasnt toured. Bayliss says that he tends to be a bit expensive and he didnt want two attacking bowlers in Moeen and Rashid. I dont see Crane as (necessarily) an economical bowler but I am happy to be proved wrong!

This message has been edited by Martin00 on Nov 8, 2017 3:30 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

You kind of know what he means

November 8 2017, 4:34 PM 

Interesting the comments on both Adil Rashid and Mason Crane.

Crane is seems is feisty and ready for a battle, whereas Rashid is a little bit diffident.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 9 2017, 6:50 PM 

There now a lost Ball to contend with too as he hobbled off with an ankle injury.

Paul Collingwood had to field today as he is the fielding coach for the tour. Can we get Farbrace to keep wicket if Bairstow gets a knock and Strauss to return as opener with Cook if Stoneman fails?

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 9 2017, 11:33 PM 

Talk of England calling up Tom Helm as a replacement for Ball, any relation to John Helm?

This message has been edited by Pyrahtechnics on Nov 9, 2017 11:34 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 9 2017, 11:40 PM 

There was a programme on Sky Sports tonight about Eddie Jones, the Aussie who has revitalised England rugby. The parallel with Bayliss is obvious, but the different levels of commitment and professionalism are what stand out.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk