<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Help

November 12 2017 at 5:54 PM

Dave Morton  (Login DaveMorton)
from IP address 176.252.7.157

As some of you will know, I'm currently trying to compile career pictorial histories for Tim Bresnan and Adil Rashid.

I've run into a problem with 2009. In 2008, Adil took 62 Championship wickets and was awarded his County Cap, but in 2009 he played only 7 games and took 26 wickets. Despite averaging 77 with the bat, he did not play in the vital game at Hove, in which Wainwright and Hoggard saved us from relegation.

Can anyone remember why he played so little for Yorkshire that year? Moxon's annual account merely mentions Wainwright's increased opportunities, plus the introduction of Rafiq. Bresnan made his Test debut that summer, which is why he played only 10 Championship matches, I think, but Adil played only 3 ODIs, which does not fully explain his absence.

Was he injured? Or did he spend almost the entire summer on the England bench? Or what?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: Help

November 12 2017, 8:08 PM 

According to the 2010 Wisden he missed the last 4 CC games because he joined England's ODI squad.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 13 2017, 9:28 AM 

Thanks, that's useful. I don't buy Wisden any more and I've sold most of my old ones; Cricinfo is less useful than it used to be, and Cricket Archive now has a paywall. A very expensive paywall.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 13 2017, 10:01 AM 

There was the World T20 in England early that summer - Rashid was in the squad, meaning he'll have missed a chunk of championship games at both ends of the season.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 13 2017, 10:46 AM 

Right - that explains the rest of it. I've done 2009 now, on to the much more enjoyable 2010.

Doing this has reminded me just what a roller-coaster ride supporting Yorkshire has been, and how many players promised so much...Shahzad in 2009 and Hannon-Dalby at the start of 2010, to name but two.

dpressed
(Login dpressed)

November 13 2017, 7:31 PM 

Dave. You can access Yorkshire cricket records on Cricket Archive via the YCCC Website.

Be warned you can only access Yorkshire records. So you can see scorecards for Adil playing for Yorkshire, but if you try to view him playing for thr MCC the paywall comes up.

For once I want to praise the county. The records have always been on the website. When Cricket Archive put up their paywall the records were lost. Someone mentioned it at a Member's Forum where the club representative said they didn't know about it. I checked a few days later and all was ok.

Here's the link

http://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/

The ODI matches played by Adil

http://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/Players/88/88341/ODI_Matches.html

This message has been edited by dpressed from IP address 2.27.156.215 on Nov 13, 2017 7:56 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 14 2017, 1:21 PM 

Yes, I know that, dpressed. I've been using it as my default resource. The limitations imposed by the firewall are annoying - clicking on players' names gets you nowhere, though I know I can access the Yorkshire ones via the alphabetical list, which would probably have given me the info on Rashid I required.

It just seemed easier to ask you guys. So much faffing about! The match-report links from the scorecards don't work, either.

This message has been edited by DaveMorton from IP address 176.252.7.157 on Nov 14, 2017 2:08 PM

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

November 14 2017, 10:51 PM 

The records section on the official site certainly is a good resource.
One curio is Yorkshire's record 11th wicket partnership (yes, really). It is 27 and was made in 1878 in a 12 a side game against the MCC.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk