<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: My least favourite cricketer

November 18 2017, 11:37 PM 

Yep, Gale has to be a close contender, along with Close, Vic Wilson and Burnet. All these Championship winning captains, don’t you just hate them?

This message has been edited by Idle_man from IP address 82.69.51.91 on Nov 19, 2017 7:17 AM

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

November 19 2017, 8:42 AM 

A championship winning team that carried him. When the going got tough he took the opportunity to bail with the coaching job.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 19 2017, 9:04 AM 

For most of his career he provided c.1000 first class runs. Compare that record with Ronnie Burnet and you'll see which captain was being carried.

The premise of this thread, a somewhat negative one, was your LEAST FAVOURITE cricketer. And you've chosen a Yorkshire player.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 19 2017, 10:23 AM 

Any sign of Alibor for a second opinion?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

November 19 2017, 10:48 AM 

What's wrong with picking a Yorkshire player? You've slated Willey at every opportunity. 8th choice seamer. I'm surprised you didn't pick him as your least favourite player.

This message has been edited by kevinowens from IP address 82.132.240.44 on Nov 19, 2017 10:50 AM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 19 2017, 11:45 AM 

The ability of the WRF to fuel internal strife never ceases to me amaze (amuse) me.

'Least favourite cricketer' and, surprise, surprise, it's one of our own.

There's a plethora of players to go at before we even think of looking at our own.

For my two pennorth I'll second Dave Morton's choice of Pietersen.Great ability does not override all other characteristics.

I think that, particularly with cricketers, as opposed to many other sports, the whole being counts for more.Love of the game, respect for the game and giving back to the game need to be taken into consideration too.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 19 2017, 12:06 PM 

"When the going got tough he [Gale] took the opportunity to bail with the coaching job."

The rules of the forum forbid me from making abusive comments. Fortunately, with a comment like this, I don't have to; you abuse yourself.

CaliforniaScarborian
(Login CaliforniaScarborian)

My least favourite cricketer

November 19 2017, 12:30 PM 

Idle man writes that "For most of his career he [Gale] provided c.1000 first class runs. Compare that record with Ronnie Burnet and you'll see which captain was being carried."

While I don't see an intent to insult Burnet, but rather to make a point about Gale's captaincy, I do think there's an unfortunate implication that Burnet didn't carry his weight in the team. Please remember Disraeli's remark about "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Having watched Yorkshire play in each season from 1945 to 1961 (and followed from afar since emigrating to marry my wife), I hope to be forgiven by Idle man if I make the point that Burnet was appointed Yorkshire skipper for the 1958 season, not for talent in batting, bowling or fielding, nor because he sought it (he read of the appointment while buying the evening paper, driving through York).

Ronnie Burnet was appointed at the age of 39 because (a) the first XI had become too much of a shambles under a well-intentioned but overburdened Billy Sutcliffe; (b) the second XI, led by Burnet (a Bradford League veteran), had just won the Minor Counties championship, not least because of the way he had developed players such as Birkenshaw, Platt, Ryan, Taylor and Don Wilson -- all to play prominent roles over the next decade or so; and (c) a much firmer level of dressing-room and on-field discipline was needed, and the committee believed that was much more likely, at this particular juncture, to come from an amateur with a record as a leader, than from a professional who'd been friendly with most of the team.

And by golly they were right. In just his second season, 1959 (and despite his dreadful record of losing the toss 20 out of 28 times), Yorkshire won back the County Championship they hadn't held singlehandedly since 1946. Whereupon, Ronnie Burnet promptly retired, much appreciated, to serve in a committee role. I think he was one of the best captains the club has had.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

November 19 2017, 12:42 PM 

Dave, I'm entitled to my thoughts as are you. I'm not alone in people who think Andrew Gale took the easy way out. As for abusing myself.... You were asking for abuse when you claimed all of last season that the batting wasn't a problem.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

November 19 2017, 12:45 PM 

Dave, I'm entitled to my thoughts as are you. I'm not alone in people who think Andrew Gale took the easy way out. As for abusing myself.... You were asking for abuse when you claimed all of last season that the batting wasn't a problem.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 19 2017, 1:12 PM 

Accepted, Kevin, and I'm sure you want Yorkshire to do well. It's just that I can't see how disrespecting the man who led us to two titles, and constantly sniping at him as a coach, can help, especially when Gale is an absolutely heart-on-the-sleeve Yorkshire nut through and through.

And I still say that our batting personnel poses no particular problem, though a couple of the players underperformed last season, which is hardly a secret. Most of our overseas batsmen have underperformed too, or not been good enough, which is not quite the same thing.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 19 2017, 4:30 PM 

1) Totally accepted CS. I have a huge respect for Burnet's achievement. As you suggest, I was merely pointing out that if you were going to argue against a captain being worth his place with bat or ball, there were much stronger cases then Andrew Gale, who would usually, but not always have made the CC team on merit at least up to 2016.

2) As far as the 'least favourite' business goes, as a Yorkshire supporter, there's no way a Yorkshire player would be considered. The Yorkshire squad, without exception, are my favourite cricketers. There's no outsider I prefer to any of our own.

3) Andrew Gale didn't bail/abandon ship. He was offered the coaching job, a role which according to Martyn Moxon he had not applied for. What on earth would we expect him to do, as he was clearly towards the end of his career?

4) I have been accused once again of a hostility to Willey. Nothing against the guy, I hope he sets the world alight in 2018. However, I'm not sure it was a signing likely to lead to success. I think if we were honest we wanted a white ball match-winner. Occasionally, he has been one. He wanted to enhance his first-class credentials, with a view to possible contention for a test place. With the bat, I'm not sure he can play extended innings in the first division, thus meriting a place in the top 6, even last year. He certainly seems to lack the ability to score when the pitch is slow. As a bowler, I did indeed say he would be my 8th choice. For 2016 or 2017 he needed either more control (Patto, Coad), more pace (Plunkett, Brooks), the ability to swing it both ways (Ryan) or to be more reliable with the bat (Bresnan). Then personally for me he would come behind Fisher on potential alone. And I think Fisher will be a better first-class batsman. Ryan has gone, and I wouldn't put as much emphasis on Bresnan's batting as you would have had to a year ago. 'Bad Brooks' appeared a little more regularly last year. Otherwise I stand by my view, and he wouldn't get in my side. You may disagree with parts of that, but it doesn't seem to me to include anything that unfair, certainly not in comparison to 'Gale bailed....'

This message has been edited by Idle_man from IP address 82.69.51.91 on Nov 19, 2017 4:31 PM

(Login dpressed)

November 19 2017, 5:04 PM 

On the Gale debate. Andrew was a natural 4 day captain. If you need proof look at Yorkshire's attack this season. There's been an element of Byas's 'fag packet' returning where a & b bowl for x overs followed by c & d. The classic example is Brooks who Windy would try for a couple of overs and if it was 'bad Brooks' bowling would whip him off and then try again later on.

As for jumping ship. Gale was going to play on in 2017 until he was offered the coach's role and felt that he had to go for it.

This message has been edited by dpressed from IP address 2.27.157.23 on Nov 19, 2017 5:12 PM

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 19 2017, 5:07 PM 

Didn't think that was true of Ballance, depressed, but it was certainly true in his absence.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 19 2017, 5:11 PM 

No one in the Yorkshire team would be out of my top twenty of favourite cricketers.

As for the most disliked -- KP def nr 1, followed by Stokes, Broad, Anderson, Adams, Cook, Strauss, Batty, most of the Surrey team, then followed, on a weekly basis, by anyone who scores a century against us or gets 5 wickets!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA from IP address 79.69.151.206 on Nov 19, 2017 5:12 PM

littleoldme
(Login littleoldme.)

Most disliked

November 19 2017, 11:22 PM 

My most disliked cricketer has to be a Lancashire player or Lanky as we call them. I can remember their 1980's captain David Hughes who got on my nerves a lot. Or what about Chilton, Keedy and Cork when he played for them. Then there was Watkinson! If there has to be a most disliked YORKSHIRE player, what about Ajmal Shahzad? I found him arrogant and he loved himself a little too much for my liking. Then of course there was his rather explosive ejection from the club around 3 to 4 weeks into a new season. 2012 I think it was.
A Buchan

littleoldme
(Login littleoldme.)

Most disliked

November 19 2017, 11:22 PM 

My most disliked cricketer has to be a Lancashire player or Lanky as we call them. I can remember their 1980's captain David Hughes who got on my nerves a lot. Or what about Chilton, Keedy and Cork when he played for them. Then there was Watkinson! If there has to be a most disliked YORKSHIRE player, what about Ajmal Shahzad? I found him arrogant and he loved himself a little too much for my liking. Then of course there was his rather explosive ejection from the club around 3 to 4 weeks into a new season. 2012 I think it was.
A Buchan

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 20 2017, 12:22 AM 

Whilst i think Gale was overrated and his captaincy was a myth i certainly wouldn't pick him as my worst. That said i think Kevin Owens handled himself well under the threats of abuse.

Shahzad is a good call on the Yorkshire front, certainly believed he was far superior than he was. His six in the India ODI was a great Cricketing moment though.

Loved watching Pietersen bat, absolute class. Ever since the fall out from the England set up i've found him unbearable.

Virat Kohli possibly my current worst when England play India, brilliant player but can't stand him.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

November 20 2017, 8:49 AM 

For me, it's kind of a Yorkshire player (but mainly not) - Bill Athey. There's no real reason, I just couldn't stand him growing up.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 20 2017, 9:52 AM 

Shahzad is a good suggestion if we must consider Yorkshire players. And for the same reason - walking out when a place was available, Michael Lumb.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk