<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: My least favourite cricketer

November 20 2017, 10:59 AM 

So many have bored me or irritated me over the years.

Top of my list of horrors - the talented but arrogant Surrey team that Adam Holliake captained.
Dull dogs - Colin Dredge; most Derbyshire players of the 1960’s.
England pet hates - I had an irrational dislike of Colin Cowdrey.
Overseas - arrogant Captains (eg Kohli, Ponting) and corrupt ones (eg Cronje, Butt)
Yorkshire - hard pressed to name anyone.

I suspect a lot of people might not be charitably disposed to Ben Stokes at the moment. I’m not his greatest fan but I hope he has the opportunity to redeem himself and to be remembered for his cricket rather than his left hook. Other cricketers have endured disgrace only to be redeemed subsequently - Tufnell and his father-in-law; Ponting and the booze; Freddie and the pedalo; Botham and the bed springs. Maybe the same will be true of Stokes.
It’s easy for lots of we older posters to forget that our cricketing heroes are extremely young men and are doing their growing up in the public eye. I’m thankful that my mistakes weren’t the common currency of the Mail Online and theTwittersphere.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 20 2017, 11:00 AM 

Oddly, I couldn't stand Jacques Rudolph. I know he was a good player and won many games for us, and we would have been in a mess without him. I also saw him signing autographs for a line of kids long after a day's play at Scarborough.

But there was something about him I just didn't like, something that went beyond logic. I felt much the same way about Michael Bevan and Michael Lumb. Was it the overseas connection? I don't know, but I certainly didn't dislike Darren Lehmann or Kane Williamson or Cheteshwar Pujara!

I have never felt like that about any Yorkshire born or raised player. Michael Vaughan would be the closest.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 20 2017, 11:15 AM 

He was never my least favourite cricketer whilst playing but since retiring Michael Vaughan has become such an insufferable a*** that the memories of 2005 etc become ever more distant.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

November 20 2017, 12:57 PM 

Freddie Trueman . The only Yorkshire player or ex- Yorkshire player who told me to p.... off when i was a young lad asking for autographs .

On the same note Larry Gomes was the only one who refused to sign at Scarborough when the Windies played thee in 1976 . The rest of them were more than happy .

(Login dpressed)

November 20 2017, 7:40 PM 

Of course I have to mention D*rr*n G**gh. A man who organised a benefit golf day on the day Yorkshire received the the Championship trophy at Scarborough. And whilst Yorkshire were celebrating in Yates he was drinking with the Essex team in another bar.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 20 2017, 10:25 PM 

David Warner
Graeme Smith
Kevin Pietersen
Chris Adams
Hanse Cronje
Javed Miandad
Ian Healy
Chris Lewis
Mohammad Asif
Jade Dernbach
Stuart Broad

All for a variety of reasons most of which are self explanatory and not a yorkie in sight.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 20 2017, 11:20 PM 

Surprised there isn't a mention of Saeed Ajmal, who took wickets by illegitimate bowling and done so for a long period of time. Far more disgraceful than what Kevin Pietersen has ever done.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 20 2017, 11:23 PM 

Not a bad side that, Third Ump! Needs a decent spinner though.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

November 20 2017, 11:39 PM 

i have never forgiven the ignorant **** some people call sir goeffrey, i politely asked him to sign his book which i had bought for my son. he told me to go away in very nasty language.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

November 21 2017, 8:53 AM 

Pyrahtechnics:

Surprised there isn't a mention of Saeed Ajmal, who took wickets by illegitimate bowling and done so for a long period of time. Far more disgraceful than what Kevin Pietersen has ever done.

This seems a little harsh. I find it hard to believe that he was doing it deliberately. Plenty of bowlers have had dodgy actions, and not been caught, so why single this one person out?

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

November 21 2017, 9:25 AM 

Chief Chucker Murali ..... maybe not his fault but a disgrace he got away with it for so long .

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 21 2017, 9:40 AM 

I thought this discussion was really about our often irrational dislikes of individuals as cricketers, boring, arrogant, selfish, inept, whatever. Some of the suggestions have much more basic issues: cheating, deliberate or otherwise, and corruption. There's no way I'd put what the appalling Cronje did alongside my reasons for disliking KP, Chris Adams, or a considerable number of Surrey players.

And if we're including 'off-pitch' reasons for selection, Shiv Thakor appears to have become a contender.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 21 2017, 10:02 AM 

If we're going down that road - which perhaps we shouldn't - the Nazi-supporting, child-abusing C B Fry might get a mention.

Then there was Roy Gilchrist, who branded his wife with a poker. I played against him, not a nice man! There was another who played club cricket in Lancashire, for Werneth, a Zimbabwean called Mark Vermeulen, a racist thug whose exploits included arson.

Vermuelen was protected from the consequences of his actions by a rich father, shades of Rory Hamilton-Brown, who actually is on my quite short 'most hated' list, as part of that obnoxious Surrey gang others have mentioned, the Adams family.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 21 2017, 10:16 AM 

I know, DM, this is opening up, and I can see the first 'no politics on the forum' post coming over the horizon. Nevertheless, Arthur Gilligan, as author of 'The Spirit of Fascism and Cricket Tours' must be worth consideration.

Gilligan was also one of those administrators I loathed back in the sixties. As a suitable representative of the whole breed, I also nominate Gubby Allen.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

November 21 2017, 10:46 AM 

Ronnie Irani and Dermot Reeve.
Vulgar vulgar vulgar.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

November 21 2017, 10:49 AM 

Yes, Allen has had the finger pointed at him over the D'Oliveira affair

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2004/jun/20/cricket.comment1

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 21 2017, 11:00 AM 

By the way, am I the only member to have lost the 'return to index' facility? And if I am, how have I achieved this, and what can I do to undo it?

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

November 21 2017, 12:20 PM 

Just a word in defence of CB Fry . I think it is widely accepted his wife was mainly responsible for conditions on the Mercury .

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

November 21 2017, 1:30 PM 

Yes, and there aren't many today who could leap backwards on to a mantelpiece.

Re the team of bogey men above

David Warner
Graeme Smith
Kevin Pietersen
Chris Adams
Hanse Cronje
Javed Miandad
Ian Healy
Chris Lewis
Mohammad Asif
Jade Dernbach
Stuart Broad

Bit of a shame such excellent but hard cricketers as Smith, Javed and Broad are so disliked. We might as well add Border, Steve Waugh and Hayden on that basis.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 21 2017, 1:55 PM 

Good to see Ronnie Irani getting a mention some way back in the thread.

Never liked Stuart Broad and for absolutely no reason always disliked Jack Russell.

Players being rude to autograph hunters has been a slight theme, the only one ever to dismiss me out of hand was David Bairstow! As an opposite I once heard Peter Hartley say he always signed as he never got used to the idea of people actually asking for it and one day he'd no longer be significantly well known that anyone would want it, so why not enjoy the moment.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk