<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: My least favourite cricketer

December 8 2017, 9:21 AM 

He edged the ball to the keeper and didn't walk. Just like hundreds have done before him.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute from IP address 92.233.67.1 on Dec 8, 2017 9:29 AM

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 8 2017, 12:00 PM 

Yes, it’s time the Broad story was put to bed. It was a bog standard edge to the keeper. Few players walk for that these days - I wish they did. The fact that the keeper fumbled it and it went to slip is of no relevance.

Broad or OJ Simpson? One is a convicted felon. The other is a slightly petulant cricketer. Gosh, I’m going to need a bit of time to come to a decision on that one.

(Login dpressed)

December 8 2017, 7:26 PM 

Whilst I'm not a Broad fan I have to agree with the previous posters.

If Australia had had a decent keeper he'd have caught it. Haddin was poor so it bounced off his gloves & was caught by FIRST slip. (Corrected after a following post. I remembered the H but got the wrong one.)

But the Aussie hierarchy couldn't admit that they'd a cr*p keeper so started the lie, which saldy everyone now believes.

This message has been edited by dpressed from IP address 87.112.221.150 on Dec 9, 2017 1:51 PM

Martin
(Login Cusworth)

Stuart Broad

December 8 2017, 7:49 PM 

Just pointing out that the aussie keeper in 2013 when Broad didn't walk was Brad Haddin. Ian Healy was 49 years old by then and long since retired. Also, he was never crap.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 8 2017, 10:55 PM 

I too had always been negative about Broad. However when he played for Notts at Headingley in 2015 he won me over to some extent. Notts were terrible. I assumed Broad had just turned up for a bit of practice but he bowled excellently and was better than almost all his colleagues with the bat. He made more effort than the rest of them put together. Early on we were all up for giving him some stick ( I particularly liked the shout when he was caught in the gully ‘he’d have reviewed that in a test match ‘.) By the end however he was applauded off, a little to his surprise. I wouldn’t say I’m now a big fan, but I am a lot less critical of him since.

This message has been edited by Idle_man from IP address 82.69.51.91 on Dec 9, 2017 9:26 AM

Dennis Hartley
(Login Bennyfishel)

December 9 2017, 5:05 AM 

Idle man when one of your lot do the unthinkable on the field why do you always want it "put to rest" straight away, you did it with Athertons gravel in his trouser pockets and also when one of your lot spilled a load of peppermint chews when he fell down when fielding we all know what the peppermint was used for. things like that should NOT be put to rest immediately the public have a right to know what happened.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 9 2017, 8:35 AM 

Yes, you do have a right to know. For instance you should now know from here and plenty of other sources, that Broad DID NOT edge the ball to slip. It's probably on YouTube if you really won't believe us. The reason I think it should be 'put to bed', is the story is still used to encourage hostility to Broad, and it is simply untrue.

Not quite sure what the point of the stuff about peppermints is. As far as I'm aware those incidents have never been discussed here, let alone defended. And 'my lot' are Yorkshire. Not that bothered about anyone else.

This message has been edited by Idle_man from IP address 82.69.51.91 on Dec 10, 2017 9:06 AM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

December 10 2017, 6:57 PM 

Just coming out of hibernation but Mike Denness, Tony Greig and RES Wyatt come to mind. I am not going to react to earlier provocations but agree with one of the suggestions of more recent players 😀. Happy Christmas to all on the forum zzzzzzz

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

December 10 2017, 11:11 PM 

Like a lot of people, my list of most disliked cricketer is basically Kevin Pietersen written multiple times with the font size steadily increasing.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

December 10 2017, 11:15 PM 

Happy Xmas to you too Alibor 😀

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 11 2017, 8:43 AM 

Regarding Kevin Pietersen being disliked, I was pretty much in that category until I recently read his autobiography.

Naturally there are two sides to every story, but it seems he was badly mis-managed by former coaches, particularly Flower hence picking up serious injuries and was treated harshly compared to other players. I think the only thing KP is guilty of is going head to head the establishment and being too sincere, but it's understandable when he was in a toxic environment for so long. His relationship with the South African players during the 2012 test series made sense, because some of his own colleagues frowned upon him. Also asking to miss a few ODI matches because previous injuries and coaching regimes were taking it's toll.

The only thing I don't agree in his book is how English Cricket are backward thinking against IPL and English Cricket should accommodate to the competition, probably because he never came through the English system. Though I do acknowledge his reasoning for promoting IPL, because it's a place where cricketing greats come together and the opportunity to learn new skills.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 11 2017, 8:59 AM 

Just offer them their travel and hotel costs and then see how many players go to the IPL to develop new skills.

(Login matthefish2002)

December 11 2017, 10:57 AM 

I don't hate any cricketer but one I find it difficult to warm to is Gareth Batty.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 11 2017, 9:21 PM 

"Just offer them their travel and hotel costs and then see how many players go to the IPL to develop new skills."

If it was the choice between Rahul Dravid teaching you how to bat against left arm spin or doing yoga/cooking Japanese food for training i'd gladly go with the former.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 12 2017, 6:29 AM 

I'm not sure what the relevance of yoga is, I've obviously missed something. I'm just fed up of players saying they're going to the IPL to develop their game when we know what the overriding reason is. If they said 'I'll be a cricketer for 10-15 years, I've got a family, this is too good an opportunity,' I'd have little problem.

(Login dpressed)

December 12 2017, 8:26 AM 

After he went to England & 'got an attitude' I went off Paul Jarvis. But I loved his honesty when asked why he joined the South African rebel tour it was something like 'wife & mortgage'.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 12 2017, 8:51 AM 

I think I need to defend Jarv here as if anyone was messed about by the England management it was him with him rarely given a decent run in the team, a skipper who wouldn’t bowl him and a dressing room environment which was far from welcoming and with players only interested in their own roles in the team. In the days before central contracts then injury prone fast bowlers were soon consigned to the scrap heap and had to move around counties to get better contracts in terms of pay and length.

In his prime Jarv was worth his weight in gold and his frame was not really suited to regular fast bowling and he was overbowled whilst his body was still growing. Management today would have wrApped him in cotton wool, sent him on strength and conditioning courses and rested him regularly.

I never sensed any notion of big headedness or arrogance once he played for England but just a player probably more confused as a result of international experience in the 80s and 90s. Poor leadership management and structure probably stopped him from being an Anderson or Broad and if he’d been born 25 years later he would have been far better handled and not needed to take the rand needed for security.

Plus if he’d been born 25 years later I wouldn’t have had to face him three or four times a year too...

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk