<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

JG back coaching ....

November 20 2017 at 10:52 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator
from IP address 79.69.151.206

....in the UK, at Sussex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42051902

I wonder what the real reason was that he left Yorkshire, he stated he wanted to live in Australia with his family!!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ossettgeoff)

Re: JG back coaching ....

November 20 2017, 11:00 AM 

Wensleydale Creamery. ?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 20 2017, 11:04 AM 

I would not bet against promotion for Sussex next year.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 20 2017, 11:06 AM 

Shelf-life. He knew his time was up, he had given everything, scaled the heights, and the only direction from there was down.

He could have stayed on, as Duncan Fletcher did with England, as the team he built started to fail. Soon he would have begun to appear on people's 'most disliked' lists.

As it is, he lives in our memories as a saviour and a legend, which is how it should be.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

November 20 2017, 11:31 AM 

Bet he wishes he had cited "shelf life" or "cheese" as the real reasons - makes him look slightly silly now!

(Login KennyShovel)

November 20 2017, 11:49 AM 

The truth might be more mundane. We know from his time at Yorkshire that he likes the day-to-day involvement with all aspects of running a club. He's not really been offered those kinds of full time coaching roles in Australia, hell, not much coaching at all really. Even the chance to work on an A team tour fell through because of their pay dispute. Perhaps he's got too much family life now, and he's bored to tears with it already? Also, you know, the mortgage needs paying.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

November 20 2017, 12:26 PM 

i agree with DM. i think he could see the weaknesses in our squad and moved on.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 20 2017, 12:49 PM 

Dizzy to Sussex
November 20 2017 at 12:47 PM Tom (Login whiterosetom)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42051902

Clearly prefers the south coast to Scarborough!

(Login ExiledinNotts)

November 20 2017, 1:17 PM 

I'm with the Creamery idea. We were discussing this at Scarborugh this year & I citied that this was the case. They're the clubs main sponsors & there's no way we're they going to accept the criticism thrown at them by JG.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 20 2017, 1:48 PM 

Had bigger ambitions, hasn't happened so he's back.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

November 20 2017, 1:51 PM 

Jason Gillespie clearly could see the problems with Yorkshire's squad and managements obsession for keeping Gale involved and decided to move on to pastures new. We have ended up with the worst possible scenario concerning the influential Coach position and next season we will be very lucky if we are not relegated and with yet another season of failure to reach one day final stages. Hopefully. I will be proved wrong but signs (or lack of them) since the end of season and Winter complacency are not encouraging.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

November 20 2017, 1:54 PM 

"Shelf-life. He knew his time was up, he had given everything, scaled the heights, and the only direction from there was down.

He could have stayed on, as Duncan Fletcher did with England, as the team he built started to fail. Soon he would have begun to appear on people's 'most disliked' lists.

As it is, he lives in our memories as a saviour and a legend, which is how it should be."

Find that hard to believe when Yorkshire reached T20 Blast Finals Day and another One Day Cup semi-finals, along with being one session away from a 3rd successive County Championship title. If anything that is still a successful season despite not winning one piece of silverware.

Who knows what Gillespie might have done this year if he remained at Yorkshire, but he certainly would have made most of having a full strength squad for the T20 Blast and reached another Finals Day along with not tolerating that many shambolic performances in the County Championship.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 20 2017, 3:09 PM 

I suspect his reasons at the time were genuine - family etc. But these would have been influenced by a sense that he had done all he could at Yorkshire, and so it was time to move on. Will be interesting to see if his family remain in Australia.

However, Alibor says "Jason Gillespie clearly could see the problems with..managements obsession for keeping Gale involved"

I find that hard to believe. We had just won two championships with Gale in charge and were still in the running at the time of his announcement (end of August 2016) for a third - why would Gillespie have wanted Gale to have been given the elbow in those circumstances?

(Login swfctyke)

November 20 2017, 3:44 PM 

I think he realised many of the team had reached their peak and there would be a transitional period ahead. Let's face it, he was right.

(Login dpressed)

November 20 2017, 7:33 PM 

I'm begining to get fed up of some on here with their anti Gale rants. If Dizzy hadn't left Gale would have played on for another year. Gale is turning into the new Boycott, to blame for everything.

And anyone who really thinks that we weren't in decline in 2016 obviously wasn't watching. Bresnan and the tail almost got us there, but the writing was on the wall. We also blew it when it mattered.

At the time I said Dizzy knew what was to come so left before his reputation was damamged

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 20 2017, 8:03 PM 

Agree with the comments by Dpressed.

Overall a combination of seeing our probably decline, knowing the test players would be gone and are irreplaceable, family issues and expecting an international job which has never materialised. Not sure I buy into the Wensleydale Creamy line.

When I was 16 I somehow had an incredibly good looking girlfriend although I was soon tossed aside, I remember shortly after seeing her holding hands with another. Dizzy at Sussex is almost the same feeling. Well its not, the 16 year old me was heartbroken, but you know what I mean.....

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

yorkshire board

November 20 2017, 8:33 PM 

if i remember back when Jack Rudolph left he asked to be released early so he could back to South Africa with his wife the next thing he was back in English cricket we have a very gullible board .

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Ambition

November 20 2017, 9:15 PM 

Think JG thought he could get a good International job and it hasn't materialised.

Mortgage has to be paid and he has to keep building his reputation until the big one does come along.

If he can replicate what he did for Yorkshire then Sussex will have done themselves a good bit of business.

This message has been edited by Coastalview from IP address 95.146.65.93 on Nov 20, 2017 9:25 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

JG on TMS

December 4 2017, 9:18 PM 

Dizzy on TMS this morning talking about the Sussex job. A return to England was the last thing on his mind until Sussex contacted him.

His family will remain in Australia this time and join him during the school holidays. He seems to have negotiated a decent deal to spend the bare minimum of time in England commensurate with getting the job done.

I think he is just trying to earn a crust and waiting for the International opportunity to come his way.

Very warm about his time with Yorkshire.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 4 2017, 9:47 PM 

I think we need to stop worrying about why he left and move on. Let's remember the good times under him and accept all good things come to an end. He has to work to pay the bills and despite his credentials the international roles haven't materialised including the one Silverwood has just filled.

I'm just glad he chose Sussex over Essex

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk