<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Morkel

November 20 2017 at 12:55 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator
from IP address 79.69.151.206

Morne Morkel the latest SA to abandon his Country. Now available as a Kolpack. Kent & Warwickshire and a "London" club in the running (Surrey by any chance?).

When is our announcement of an overseas player. Call me Mr Cynical, but I reckon we will wait until January to announce ours when there is no-one decent left.

This message has been edited by StuartRA from IP address 79.69.151.206 on Nov 20, 2017 12:55 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Not really what we need at the moment.

November 20 2017, 9:18 PM 

Of course somebody of his class would be a great acquisition but he can't bat or keep wicket.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

Re: Morkel

November 21 2017, 8:51 AM 

Where have you seen this? There's no mention of it anywhere that I can see.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 21 2017, 9:33 AM 

The management seem to be coming in for a lot of stick in general, with in my view, little recognition of the dilemmas they face. However as far as the appointment of overseas player(s) is concerned, I can't see any reason to be critical at this stage.

We are not bringing up the rear on this. Four counties have named their overseas, two in each division, according to the BBC Sports website, which seems up to date in other respects. Three of them were merely reappointing last year's player. The fourth is Surrey, who have taken advantage of moving early to make the ok but hardly stunning appointment of Mitchell Marsh.

We can't expect to be kept informed on any research and negotiation going on. In general recent overseas choices have met with our initial approval. It's what happened later that has been frustrating. Clearly, unless you can find a Sanga, there's a trade-off between availability and class. Even if you think you've got it right, a couple of good performances and the player can have renewed interest or be upgraded by his national selectors.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Case in point

November 21 2017, 9:51 AM 

It may well be the case the Yorkshire have a preference, bringing back Shaun Marsh for instance. I've no evidence this is the case by the way.

As he has been called up by the Aussies there is really not much point in going ahead, nor should they scrap the idea entirely until we see how things pan out for him and others.

I'm sure the club are monitoring the situation, have several names in mind, but are not likely to make an announcement until much closer to the season.

Seems the sensible thing to do from my point of view and I'm quite happy with that.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 21 2017, 10:19 AM 

I am far from convinced that any of these guys are better than what we have.

Okay, (Darren) Lehmann was, and Sangakkara for his various counties, but few others in the modern era. Essex pulled off a brilliant coup with Harmer, but who else is there who is both available and good enough?

Not the appalling Maxwell, nor Handscomb or Brathwaite, that is for sure. Perhaps a Mitch Santner, who would fill our need for a spin-bowler/batsman - if he's good enough, which he just might be.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

November 21 2017, 10:24 AM 

Dave , why "appaling Maxwell" ?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 21 2017, 10:25 AM 

If Maxwell is appalling i dread to think what Santner is..

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 21 2017, 10:32 AM 

The Morkel link.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20326278/morne-morkel-targeted-potential-kolpak-signing

In BBC Sport (counties ins & outs) Kent & Warwickshire are hoping to sign him.

This message has been edited by StuartRA from IP address 79.69.151.206 on Nov 21, 2017 4:10 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 21 2017, 10:38 AM 

That article is from August though.

More recent articles state he's not looking at going down the Kolpak route.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/morne-morkel-looking-forward-to-play-2019-world-cup-ends-kolpak-speculations-656251

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 21 2017, 11:43 AM 

Thanks for the update EYT. It was just something I stumbled across when perusing the "Counties ins & outs" on BBC Sport under Kent & Warwickshire.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk