(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Overseas Player 2018

November 24 2017, 2:42 PM 

I'm hoping Gough goes to fill the gap at Essex so Ryan can still be around

Martin
(Login Martin00)

November 24 2017, 4:55 PM 

The last thing we need is another overseas whose availability is compromised by international call ups, training camps and the like - unless we can possibly avoid it - and with Marsh going well overnight, he might become a fixture in the Aussie team.

In which case, Glamorgan suddenly look like the chumps, and Moxon has demonstrated impressive foresight.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

December 4 2017, 11:37 PM 

listening to the new zealand commentary v wi, it was stated mitch santner was looking to come to england next summer. a very decent left arm spinner and a hard hitting middle order batsman. possibly worth thinking about.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 5 2017, 3:17 AM 

I have just been to the Basin Reserve and watched the test match in all it's enitrety.

Mitch Santner didn't look convincing with the bat and was at least one place too high. Colin de Grandhomme and Tom Blundell looked far more reassuring at the crease. If the think tank are looking at New Zealand players, CdG and Blundell are decent options, particularly the latter who would be available all season and a viable alternative to Hodd.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 5 2017, 8:15 AM 

Nothing more than a holding bowler is Santner. Would be a very uninspiring signing.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 5 2017, 8:43 AM 

I am not sure where this obsession in signing overseas spinners is coming from when Yorkshire have three perfectly good spinners in the team. Aside from Somerset's Bess and Leach and Warwickshire's Patel, is there anyone else in County Cricket who is better than Rashid, Rafiq and Carver?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 5 2017, 9:13 AM 

Well, the general standard in county cricket at present is lousy. That's beginning to affect batsmen, who in addition have little experience of turning wickets, and whose skills are diminishing. The Warwickshire match at the back end of last season was played on a surface which sixties batsmen would have regarded as a typical day's work, but it was treated as a minefield. All this leads to a feeling that a half-decent spinner is a match-winner. I was looking forward - up to a point - to seeing Harmer after all his early season wickets for Essex. What he turned out to be is a bog-standard off-spinner, pretty average by championship standards of fifty - or even twenty? - years ago.

As for our three, Rash is Rash. A delight at times with bat and ball, but not always available, and still not quite what we desperately hoped he might be. Alibor feels he is always brought on at the wrong time, but he's now had enough overs at the top order and very rarely delivered. I suspect he will always be primarily a mopper -up of tails.

Rafiq is not fit (literally and metaphorically?) for Championship purpose. Still valuable for white ball games.

I'd love Carver to come on, but he's not a big spinner of the ball. If the answer lies in our own ranks, I suspect it is with the next generation in the Academy.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

December 5 2017, 10:18 AM 

Pyrah --- "I am not sure where this obsession in signing overseas spinners is coming from when Yorkshire have three perfectly good spinners in the team."

I disagree. We have 1 good spinner in our team and he is missing for 1/2 of every season. More often than not in the CC, we do not even have one decent spinner.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 5 2017, 10:23 AM 

Well Santner isn't the answer.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

December 5 2017, 11:30 AM 

I agree that Santner is not the answer.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Eye off the ball

December 5 2017, 11:56 AM 

We can only have one overseas for the CC and it has to be a batsman.

O.K if someone like Mitchell Starc became available I might be tempted, but then again I'd think about the possibility of injury and still go for a batsman.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 5 2017, 2:57 PM 

Difficult one.
I would love to see Starc playing for us again. I think he would put the fear of God into most county batsmen nowadays.
Definitely not Handscomb...

marsker
(Login marskeman)

December 5 2017, 3:25 PM 

Handscomb looked absolutely terrible. i hope we are not considering him again.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

December 5 2017, 8:39 PM 

Santner is not a bad shout but agree there are better options.

For me the key is availability. I would sacrifice the lack of games or constant changing for someone considered a lesser batsman. I would hate another season of short term Brathwaites and Marshes. Leaves very little pride in the shirt.

I don't think a spinner is a priority. Seam - We work with our own - Bresnan, Coad and Fisher and then one of Brooks/Plunkett/Willey/Patterson
Batting remains our issue. Lyth opens. Lees (at 3) and Leaning (at 5) we have to persevere with based on promise and investment, but we need to see some end results. Ideally Balance won't break back into England, so he fits in at 4.

That for me, leaves an opener, ideally right handed to avoid 4 lefties at the top. Then a keeper batsman to balance the team from 6.

Something like: Lyth, ??, Lees, Balance C, Leaning, WK?, Bresnan, Rashid, Plunkett, Fisher, Coad (Brooks 12th man)

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 5 2017, 9:24 PM 

Based on what I saw today, Handscomb won't be welcome back at Yorkshire - the England contingent would lamp him as soon as he walked through the door. One of the most odious of an appalling bunch of humans.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

December 6 2017, 10:18 AM 

No point going for a current international, we need someone to stick around for the whole season. Someone just recently finished for their internal side?

Now don't ask me who but that's the type we need.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

December 6 2017, 1:56 PM 

Seadog What did Handscomb do? - I haven't seen any of the day five coverage..

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 6 2017, 10:43 PM 

He seems to be head cheerleader in the Aussie sledging squad, leading to Root furiously pointing his bat at him on day 4.

(Login dpressed)

December 6 2017, 11:00 PM 

Forget sledging for Australia.Handscome's lack of good scores for Yorkshire should be enough to make sure he's not invited back

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

December 7 2017, 8:18 AM 

I hope Root and Bairstow are constantly reminding him of his poor performances for Yorkshire. In the evidence of this series he should be worried about his Test future too. He looks dreadful.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk